Beginner in competitive shooting

Anyone have some good sources of info for someone just looking to get into competitive shooting? It's a whole new beast as compared to military training so I am looking for stuff at the idiot level.

Thinking about getting into 3 gun, definitely doing pistol sometime soon just to become more proficient, but the three gun really interests me because I haven't even touched a shotgun in probably 2 decades... Gives me a reason to buy another gun :D

Edited by Sam1
1 hour ago, Wiljo05 said:

We run indoor IDPA matches at Royal Range the 1st and 3rd Thursday of each month. Pm me if you want and I'll get you some more info on our shoots as well as some other options in the area

Thanks, will do.

Go to matches. Do not go "just to watch" take your guns. Go slow. Do not go out and buy a bunch of new guns/gear until you know it is for you. I have some guns I did buy for three gun, and I don't hardly ever use them. It has been my experience that competitive shooters are super friendly and helpful.  

5 hours ago, broox said:

Go to matches. Do not go "just to watch" take your guns. Go slow. Do not go out and buy a bunch of new guns/gear until you know it is for you. I have some guns I did buy for three gun, and I don't hardly ever use them. It has been my experience that competitive shooters are super friendly and helpful.  

Pffft please!  ANY gun is for me (except Glocks and Mosins) Gear on the other hand - I have none of nor do I plan on buying any until I figure out this stuff.

Just need a new hobby, this is much cheaper and safer than getting another motorcycle.

My suggestion would be to go out to some of the matches in our area to get a feel for it. Doing it is the only real way to know what you like and want. There are lots of good groups and matches around Nashville. We shoot every weekend in Dickson and indoors in Franklin Tuesday nights. 

• Like 1