Suppressed Rifle + / - $450 / Ammo $8.95 per 250

Fourtyfive

I am getting tired of my RWS 34 .177 springer ( had it for 10 years but it shoots like new still ) and it's snapping recoil that causes loss of scope view during the point of impact and how it sounds like the crack of a .22 rifle ; with the scope and evil barrel weight on the end I know it won't be long before someone in my hood calls the authorities thinking I have a high powered rifle in my hands just because of the sound and scope ( at least when there are no leaves on the trees and hedges around here ).

Behold :

I stumbled upon the Benjamin Marauder yesterday and after reading reviews and watching multiple ( You Know Who Tube vids ) ; I searched for discount codes for a well known supplier and pulled the trigger on ordering one ( .22 ). I wonder how the silencing method is legal , is it because there are no baffles ? EDITED SEE LAST LINK The barrel is enclosed in a shroud that runs from the breech of the free floating barrel to about 3" past the end of the barrel. The resulting sound is super quiet ; the design is like that of a silencer but has been sold for years. Is this legal ( guess so )? The accuracy is unbelievable , this could definitely be a survival type rifle ( although be it not small ) as no one is going to hear you getting your dinner and as long as your seals hold up and you have your pump you are in good shape. Oh , and did I mention that ammo is plentiful ?

:2cents:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjamin_Marauder_Air_Rifle/1774

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4wMEqD2ZKU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUEwxg32s6Y

Just found a video of baffles being removed  :yum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flIxgQXC3r8&list=UUQCfD5ViGak4eNz4Us14oyA

Edited by Threeeighty
  • Like 1

. The resulting sound is super quiet ; the design is like that of a silencer but has been sold for years. Is this legal ( guess so ).. 

Obviously that design must be legal ...

Begs the question, though, just what design makes a suppressor an NFA item for actual firearm? Like, if you could design the same thing for a 22lr rifle, would it need a tax stamp?

Really a nifty air gun man...and high tech.

Just so happens, I have the same Daisy pump I've had since I wuz a kidnick, and have kicked around the idea of getting some modern air gun or other, and just the other day I stepped into a intro level (Chinese) Browning Leverage .177 underlever off Sportsman's Guide.  After reading a bunch, decided to go with the lessor velocity to keep it subsonic without going to the heaviest pellets, and the rigid barrel design, we'll see, won't have it for a few days yet.

'Course it ain't nuthin like that puppy, though. Hope I don't get totally hooked or something (like you). :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Crazy that these air guns have changed so much. I haven't looked at them since i was a kid.

I have one of these http://www.crosman.com/airguns/pistols/1377C

Well... mine is from the 80's and isn't that fancy, this one seems to have a bolt. Mine just has a metal cover for the breach so you can load it then a piston you pull on the back. It's good enough to start teaching my 6 year old to shoot though.

The Europeans all use suppressors on their air rifles , as far as I know there is no law barring them there on anything. I also understand that their air rifles are limited to a certain FPS. I need to do more research , don't quote me.

Let us know if it's as "backyard quiet" as it seems to be.

I'm sort of hoping mine is, but I kind of doubt it, what with just the spring piston noise, but I shouldn't have any supersonic crack anyway, although pert close with light pellets, ~ 1000 fps.

Looks like yours may be about as accurate as they get right out of the box, which is very nifty indeed. Supposedly my underlever model is more accurate than the average break barrel spring piston design, and doesn't have to be held in the "artillery grip", from what I've read anyway.

- OS

Wow I remember a friend with one of those. Hah

il_fullxfull.292575595.jpg

That's just a found pic, but looks like mine, from the 50's. Early plastic stock and foregrip, Bakelite I guess.

I carried a bb buried in my palm from that puppy for a year or two  -- 50 BB magazine screws into end of barrel, got jammed, I put butt of my palm down on it to unscrew it and POOF, right in there, every bit of the lowly 350 fps maximized perfectly, healed over, didn't really think it was even in there,  but a year or more later it decided to work its way back out.  Those were the days.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I have this one http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_RWS_350_Magnum_Striker_Combo_22_TO6/2530 I went partly with the .22 to stay subsonic, but the spring noise is still loader than I would like. As Threeeighty said it has quite a recoil as well, and it is very heavy.

On the plus side for a pellet gun, it is by far the most accurate and well made one I have even seen.

I look forward to your review of yours and how quiet it is.

Got the Browning Leverage yesterday, my first "modern" air gun.

Browning-Leverage-air-rifle-lg.jpg

Tried it out inside, at five yards, cheap light weight pointed pellets go half way through 500 page yellow page book and actually pokes concussion hole all the way through. Most impressive for subsonic, didn't know exactly what to expect. Pert wicked expanded hole through tin cans too.

Not overly loud, surely fine in one's backyard without generating neighbor complaints.  Live in apt complex so can't really test it outside yet, I'll take it to range and down to Mom's next visit and really give it a workout.

Looks like a lot of fun coming up for 162 clams. And cheap available ammo.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

...10 shots from the top of the outdoor grille with a pillow under the front stock to get the scope lined up , it's raining and I'm shooting from the patio standing , it's looking good and she's quiet as a mouse.

Excellent first foray. 'Bout what's the distance?

- OS

The target is at 20 yards , here are 10 more shots at the same target , wish I had a bench rest....

Image3-4_zps9aee8145.jpg

This is 10 in a coffee can at 35 yards.....

Image2-4_zpsc01c27e2.jpg

Still working between 18.13 and 21.3 gram pellets and the string I get as the air goes down. One afternoon obviously is no test but so far I am getting 30 shots per charge ; going from 2800 to 3000 psi to around 2000 psi before re-charging. ( about 45 bicycle type pumps on the pump )

Edited by Threeeighty
  • Like 1

Got the Browning Leverage yesterday, my first "modern" air gun.

Browning-Leverage-air-rifle-lg.jpg

Tried it out inside, at five yards, cheap light weight pointed pellets go half way through 500 page yellow page book and actually pokes concussion hole all the way through. Most impressive for subsonic, didn't know exactly what to expect. Pert wicked expanded hole through tin cans too.

Not overly loud, surely fine in one's backyard without generating neighbor complaints.  Live in apt complex so can't really test it outside yet, I'll take it to range and down to Mom's next visit and really give it a workout.

Looks like a lot of fun coming up for 162 clams. And cheap available ammo.

- OS

I'm sorry , I did not see this post when I was posting. Very nice ! (and a Browning at that !) I want to know how she does when you get her out to some distance !

I'm sorry , I did not see this post when I was posting. Very nice ! (and a Browning at that !) I want to know how she does when you get her out to some distance !

Will do. Of course Browning only licenses it, Chinese made apparently it's a rebanded Xisico model, who makes a bunch of different US branded ones. Main reason I chose it was for all the range reports, apparently the fixed barrel makes quite a diff over break one, and durable, so we'll see. Design makes it heavy though, 8.5 lbs, but I don't care about that, maybe will help steady my old hands. :)

Those initial groups from yours are really something, I'd say!

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

How much quieter is it than your RWS 34?

Does it have have any recoil?

Does it feel lighter than your 34? IS it lighter?

What are your thoughts on having to pump it up? Better or worse than a springer?

It looks really nice and the accuracy seems to be going well.