Ruger SR 9 upgrades?

Guest cdsusong

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry one more thing, does this make us shade tree gun smiths now?:rofl:

no way... more punkrock than that (and much less skilled...). DIY gunsmiths. guess necessity is the mother of invention.

imo the pistol is such a sleeper right now... some stupid ruger is not cool enough for most glockers (even though the two designs are first cousins from an engineering point of view), and not nearly expensive enough to be any good in a lot people's books, and then there's the recall fiasco (even though glock and sig, etc. have reworked and updated their designs from time to time). just not proven enough.

forward thinking design takes some time to catch on, i'm old enough to remember when the american shooters opinion on the glock 17 was that it was a cheap toy that was going to explode in your face or jam and get you killed...

i think ergonomics-wise the gun is the best one currently available. seriously makes me wonder why every company isn't making a slim frame design like it.

glock crossed w/ 1911 is a good pedigree.

Guest cdsusong

I own Glocks as well and I like the feel of the Ruger much better. I have small hands and it just fits me better. I also like the thumb safety. Why can't Glock put one on their models? Cost I guess but I for one love it esp. if you carry and have one in the pipe. Just makes me feel safer.

Just got back from shooting. The new mods to the trigger are great! A friend that went with us has a stock SR9 and after he shot mine, he said he was going straight home and do the same for his. My trigger is still a little heavy, since I am use to the 3.5 on my Glock, but I think about 1/2 of another coil and it will be smokin'. I believe I will wait until the factory spring gets here before I try that though. You are right, this gun is so much more fun and easy to shoot. Anyone who owns one will love it esp. after they modify the spring.

I own Glocks as well and I like the feel of the Ruger much better. I have small hands and it just fits me better. I also like the thumb safety. Why can't Glock put one on their models? Cost I guess but I for one love it esp. if you carry and have one in the pipe. Just makes me feel safer.

that's how i feel about it exactly... i owned a G17 and a G19 for years and while they were great guns i always wondered why they couldn't make one that didn't feel so crappy/blocky?... and why a thumb safety was not available as at least an option (they're designed as military/LE side-arms meant to spend their down time in a sturdy duty holster where the trigger safety is adequate... not in people's waistbands w/ one in the pipe ready to go... that's why they say not to do that in the manual...)? when i carried my glocks i used to only rack mine and re-holster it if i felt i was in a threatening situation, one in the pipe all day never seemed safe enough for me (and maybe even a possible a risk to anyone who happens to be near me if i had some bad luck... say a fall or car accident or whatever...).

the SR9 is the glock i always wanted! anyways, w/ the lighter trigger, it rocks, glad to pass on the info.

ATTN, before any glock hooligans freak out on me:

i know you can pay 100-150 bucks to have someone do a grip reduction hack-job, and yes, i know there are aftermarket thumb safety's available if you're willing to spend an extra 150 bucks and have it permanently altered... and i do know how to handle a firearm and keep my finger off the trigger, i just don't want to be limited to only carrying concealed in an uncomfortable, bulky, kydex, leather, or kydex + leather iwb holster, when i can get a thin nylon or suade iwb that's comfy all-day and works with out having to get some larger pants...

just sayin'

Is it necessary to compare it to a Glock, to show that it is "perfection" perfected? Let's look at it. The similarity is the trigger, to be sure. But, it has a stainless slide, rounded top, extremely low bore axis, better sights, styling, slimmer, same round capacity, thumb safety, American made... It is the first time I've felt like I could answer the question, "If you had to have only ONE gun...?"

Is it necessary to compare it to a Glock, to show that it is "perfection" perfected? Let's look at it. The similarity is the trigger, to be sure. But, it has a stainless slide, rounded top, extremely low bore axis, better sights, styling, slimmer, same round capacity, thumb safety, American made... It is the first time I've felt like I could answer the question, "If you had to have only ONE gun...?"

I agree with all that, except it's not just the trigger, internal operation wise it copies everything except the extractor... And that's fine by me! I think they stuffed a glock into a frame more like an poly 1911 and I'm glad they did. Built a better mouse trap, but didn't try to reinvent the wheel... the trigger just needs a little help for it to be all it can be... ruger should maybe lighten up on the trigger pull from the factory and then maybe re-think a mag dc design that f's up the trigger/striker w/o a mag in (or make it optional at least!) so owners don't have to do that for them.

until i got my first SR9 i thought besides a smoothed-over glock, there was nothing better available then maybe an H&K USPcompact (which i owned and sold...)or maybe a P2000, and had decided i had to have an P30L (after owning and selling a P30). now it's my favorite gun and i don't see anything out there currently that gets as much right for me at any price. if i had to have only one, it would be the SR9 by a mile.

Edited by CK1
  • 2 weeks later...