WANTED - A2 Pistol Upper W/FSB

Fourtyfive

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Fourtyfive said:

Where is the best deal or where can I find a decent A1 complete upper? Does not have to have BCG or CH. Prefer 7.5". I can find plenty of A1 uppers but do not know how to assemble the barrel to it.

Simple removable carry handle on standard upper wouldn't do the same for ya?

IMG_1673.jpg

Btw, I don't know anyone who makes one, let alone a 7.5 incher with an A1 FSB if you wanted that too.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
11 minutes ago, musicman said:

Doubt you'll find that configuration ready-made very easily.  I couldn't tell from your profile where you are.  I'm in Smyrna and would be happy to help you put your upper together if you get the pieces you want.  I have all the tools, etc.   

I'm close to you, I might get the parts and holler at ya. I've put together a lot of lowers just never an upper.

8 hours ago, Fourtyfive said:

Yes, it works. I would prefer not have the big knobs that screw it down hanging off the other side though....

Well, I've never seen a removable one without the "knobs", but maybe some knobs are smaller than others.

At any rate, then just get the contemporary complete upper you like, and add the carry handle.

Now, if you also want the traditional A2 block/sight base, you won't find that on a 7.5" upper. Mainly because putting it on a pistol gas port wouldn't leave you with enough handguard to get your hand around in the first place. So you'll just need to add some front sight that matches up with the carry handle, or if possible depending on handguard config,  add a "fake" A2 sight base to the barrel in front of the handguard.

A2 block/base common on 10.5" carbine gas uppers though, including both of mine, if you were willing to go that length, easy peasy, just add the carry handle instead of any other rear sights.

ARpistol-2nd.jpg

ARpistol-final.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
6 hours ago, Fourtyfive said:

411549761_1.jpg

A rare config from a manufacturer, know of nothing like it available these days.  As I mentioned, to get the A2 sight base, they've either cut down a longer carbine gas barrel somehow or other,  (edit: wouldn't work, carbine gas port is 7" from breech and that's stated as a 6.5" barrel) , but more likely added a superfluous A2, with the actual gas block being a low profile one under the handguard on the pistol gas length port location. 

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
2 hours ago, Spiffy said:

Sounds like a fine time to learn to build an AR and buy some tools if you haven't done it before.

Or after gleaning advice to get just what you need, just buy all the components and offer dinner and beer for someone in your area to come over and show ya how to assemble everything. That seems to work every time somebody asks here. :)

The only ticklish quirk you want is that A2 sight on a barrel shorter than the 10.5" range, so that will take some hunting to find the shorter than norm handguard so you can put a "dead" one on the front. (I admit I was surprised that there actually is one commercially available like that).

That Oly config, once you add shipping/FFL, a good carry handle, whatever, you're in for over $900, and you could probably do same for 5 bills or so if you pick up components over a couple months finding best prices/sales and come out with at least as good and likely higher quality than Oly at same time.  And 6.5" 5.56, I dunno, even a 7.5" can be touchy for a lot of folks to get reliable -- and they're all loud, but whew, that extra inch less is gonna be uber decibel punishing, not to mention 2200 fps or less velocity.

On the third hand, if you'd settle for a 10.5, watch the sales at PSA, pick up a complete lower and complete upper, slap them together, add the carry handle, and you've got everything you want for 600 or so,  easy peasy, reliable, at least as good a quality as the Oly.

You could do the same with 7.5-8" config from there too, but you wouldn't get the A2 front sight base, and it would have some kind of railed free float handguard that runs past the gas block almost to very end of barrel, not room to add a "dead" one just for the sight. You could change the handguard to some shortie and add on an A2 front sight, and still come out significantly cheaper than that Oly, but would take some hands on.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • 2 weeks later...