Savage A17 .17HMR Hunting Applications

Sidewinder

I just recently scored a nice Savage A17 in .17HMR. I've put a BSA Sweet 17 scope on it. I've never had this rifle in the woods, so I'm interested in hearing from those that have hunting experience with it. Is it too small (17grain & 20grain bullets) for middle Tennessee coyote hunting? Is it too hot for squirrels and rabbits... tear up too much of the meat? Does "head shots" on rabbits and squirrels get messy? Sure wish Savage made one of these things chambered in .22 Hornet. Appreciate any input, good or bad.

12 hours ago, shotgunshooter said:

In my experience of shooting all sorts of small game, 17 HMR is where it's at. Stay away from the TNT rounds and you should be fine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information, Shotgunshooter. Have you killed any coyotes with the 17HMR? If so, at what range and was it a "dead right there" situation, or did you have to do some follow up tracking? Thanks.

I've zapped 2 coyotes with my marlin 17 using CCI Vmax 17gn.

One was a drt headshot at 55yds the other was a shoulder shot at maybe 90. That one ran, but only went a few yards.

I've also taken a small hog, I'd guess maybe 40lb, using  Winchester Super X 20gn XTP. Again, that was a rear brain shot & only around 30yds.

Overall I've been very happy with both the rifle & ammunition. Sniping crows at a couple hundred yards is a hoot! However, I'd really like to upgrade to a 17WSM. I'll be honest, the hog was kinda irresponsible although it dropped on the spot. I'd be more than happy using the WSM in that application though & I do get a lot of opportunities at pigs where only rimfire are allowed.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
7 hours ago, robtattoo said:

I've zapped 2 coyotes with my marlin 17 using CCI Vmax 17gn.

One was a drt headshot at 55yds the other was a shoulder shot at maybe 90. That one ran, but only went a few yards.

I've also taken a small hog, I'd guess maybe 40lb, using  Winchester Super X 20gn XTP. Again, that was a rear brain shot & only around 30yds.

Overall I've been very happy with both the rifle & ammunition. Sniping crows at a couple hundred yards is a hoot! However, I'd really like to upgrade to a 17WSM. I'll be honest, the hog was kinda irresponsible although it dropped on the spot. I'd be more than happy using the WSM in that application though & I do get a lot of opportunities at pigs where only rimfire are allowed.

I've kind of got a crush on the WSM for hogs in all the small game / rimfire only type applications, but I just can't seem to justify it over .22 WMR which seems to do just fine in typical brush environments and ranges.  

I'll be interested in performance data if you pick one up. 

Welp..... if'n I ever find one private (for retail or under. Can you believe some tool on GOC is asking $550 for a used B-mag?) I'll let you know how it does!

I'm kinda reluctant to drop the coin on a factory Savage, because after a bunch of research I know I'll have to drop at least another hundy into it in the form of a stock & bedding.

Sent from a mountain somewhere, using telepathy.

• Admin Team
3 minutes ago, robtattoo said:

Welp..... if'n I ever find one private (for retail or under. Can you believe some tool on GOC is asking $550 for a used B-mag?) I'll let you know how it does!

I'm kinda reluctant to drop the coin on a factory Savage, because after a bunch of research I know I'll have to drop at least another hundy into it in the form of a stock & bedding.

I got to handle an 1885 in 17WSM the other day, and man was it pretty!  So was the Ruger M77/17. 

I know what you mean about the Savage.  I've been on the lookout for a Hog Hunter in 338 Federal since they announced them two years ago.  I finally got my hands on one the other day and couldn't bring myself to buy it the build quality was so poor.  Everything about that factory stock is awful.  I finally decided to just build what I wanted from the ground up. 

Honestly, I've had a Hog Hunter & the stock is really a cosmetic issue. Mine shot a 3" 700yd group, pretty well out of the box & stocking a center fire doesn't bother me.
Having to re stock a rimfire because the original is actually causing serious accuracy issues kinda pisses me off.

• Admin Team
1 minute ago, robtattoo said:

Honestly, I've had a Hog Hunter & the stock is really a cosmetic issue. Mine shot a 3" 700yd group, pretty well out of the box & stocking a center fire doesn't bother me.
Having to re stock a rimfire because the original is actually causing serious accuracy issues kinda pisses me off.

Agreed.  Savage typically pays attention to that stuff. You'd think they'd at least sand down the molding sprues.  

The Ruger is decent shooter, and would likely be consistently sub-MOA with a decent trigger.  

• Admin Team

You and @DaveS are my go to authorities on all things hog killing. In all seriousness, are there shots that you would take with the 17WSM that you wouldn't attempt with a .22 WMR?

It's got a little more energy, but I don't know that the mass trade off is worth it.  It's not like I'm sniping hogs out on the plains.  I don't know that I've ever shot one more than 60 yards out. 

Not at all. I think the .22 is probably a better pig gun in 90% of situations. Bear in mind that both are limited to head shots.

Actually, thinking on it, I think you could get away with a neck shot with the WSM, but the heavier 40gn of the .22 is going to give much better penetration on a frontal shot.

There are pros & cons either way.

Even ammo is around the same price. 22mag seems really hard to find though!

• Admin Team

I sometimes wonder if I'm overconfident with .22 mag?  Mind you, I don't think I'd try it on a big monster, but every pig I've shot in the neck with one has dropped on the spot. 

Honestly I worry more about some big hog coming after me with just the .22 mag than anything else.  

If you're down Atlanta way anytime soon, the Cabela's in Ackworth had a lot of it in stock last week. 

• Like 1

I'd rather have 4, 50 pounders than 1, 200 anyway! 

It never ceases to amaze me how many people have bad misconceptions about hogs. How aggressive they all are, how incredibly hard to kill they all are, how they all weigh 300#....... Slap a hole in one's head, heart lungs or neck & they go down as easily as anything else.

• Admin Team

I'm okay with them keeping their misconceptions.  It keeps the pressure down out there.

I've got an uncle down in South Georgia that HATES hogs - primarily because they come into his fields when he's deer hunting and bring gators with them.  Nothing like being surprised by a gator at 0500 in the morning on the way into your stand :)  He shot a pretty decent sized pig with a .32ACP pocket pistol and it never took another step.

Makes me think that .45/70 might be overkill or something...

53 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I'm okay with them keeping their misconceptions.  It keeps the pressure down out there.

I've got an uncle down in South Georgia that HATES hogs - primarily because they come into his fields when he's deer hunting and bring gators with them.  Nothing like being surprised by a gator at 0500 in the morning on the way into your stand :)  He shot a pretty decent sized pig with a .32ACP pocket pistol and it never took another step.

Makes me think that .45/70 might be overkill or something...

243468_10151006616880978_969096313_o_zps

416405_10151006612095978_1815606629_o_zp

289534_10151006605905978_350681765_o_zps

Walked up on this one during a Hog hunt in Altamaha, south Georgia. Makes for an interesting day!

• Like 2
Thanks for the information, Shotgunshooter. Have you killed any coyotes with the 17HMR? If so, at what range and was it a "dead right there" situation, or did you have to do some follow up tracking? Thanks.

I haven't shot a yote with a 17. I did kill two foxes which were dead right there at 100. While I like my 22 Mag better I have had better luck with the 17 HMR. I don't know what it is but the round with a 17 gr bullet is like hitting small animals with a lightning bolt. I know the reply is a little late and it looks like you got what you need from some of the other replies.

• Like 1
On 12/14/2016 at 3:31 AM, shotgunshooter said:

I haven't shot a yote with a 17. I did kill two foxes which were dead right there at 100. While I like my 22 Mag better I have had better luck with the 17 HMR. I don't know what it is but the round with a 17 gr bullet is like hitting small animals with a lightning bolt. I know the reply is a little late and it looks like you got what you need from some of the other replies.

Hey Shotgunner, it's never too late to hear about experience in the field. I've heard that if you're saving the hides, the .17HMR makes a small hole going in and explodes inside, without exiting on the other side of the hide. I just put a better scope (BSA Sweet 17), but haven't had a chance to sight it in yet. I'm anxious to see what it will do in the field. Thanks, and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

• Like 3