Oh my amazing goodness! Satriani, Gilbert, Petrucci jam

musicman

Many of you know I'm a guitar nut (not a good player, just a fan, really) I've seen these guys on tour together and it was good, and I've seen them all separately, and that was good too. I've been bored tonight and youtubing music and found this [ame]

[/ame]

This has got to be the best I've ever heard them play together... just astounding! Petrucci is my favorite when he's playing with Dream Theater, and Joe Satriani is the godfather, of course, but I'm soon becoming a die-hard paul Gilbert fan. He even does a mean Spice Girls cover! (youtube that one!)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot yea! I've been listening to this over and over! I think my favorite bit is right betwee 3:06 and 3:26. Petrucci has a nice bit, and then Gilbert follows with that awesomeley timed bit of funky twangy stuff... just amazing. I'll never be able to create anything like that. I can riff all day and not play anything to hold a candle to these guys. :)

Guest Bronker

I must admit, when I read the title, I was thinking... Petrucci jam...hmm, sounds pretty good!!

And I started craving buttered biscuits!

(Bass...it's not a fish!)

The playing is just amazing. I'm just blown away when i hear guys like that play. the sounds the get out of those things is incredible. As a guitar player I'm watching their fingers and wondering how they are making their guitars do what they are doing.:koolaid:

I'm also reminded why most of us picked up a guitar in the first place. They make even the ugliest, nerdiest, loser of a guy look way cool! :D

Guest Astra900

I've been listening to Satriani since I first heard Surfing with the Alien.

He is a god amongst insects.

I'd give 10 years off from my lifespan to have his talent. Alas, I can't even tune a radio.

Who is who. Sorry, not a music guy at all, I've tried, basically tone deaf. I have heard and bought Satriani in the past.

What I do know, they are amazing.

Sorry for the ignorance.

On a side note, my dad could play the banjo, my grandmother, his mom, played piano and others by ear. It skipped me, but my son has a huge interest in music, especially guitar, he is 7yrs old. Any advice on what we should do. We have bought him a guitar, not a super cheap one, but not an expensive one either. He doesn't beat on it, he appears to be trying to play by using his fingers for different notes and what not. Same with piano, he doesn't just bang on the keys, he plays using his fingers, and it is not just noise, not really music, but not noise if that makes sence. Me, it is noise, him you go hmm.

Joe Satriani was one the left (no intro needed, obviously), Pual Gilbert was in the middle (of Mr. Big fame. He wrote "To Be With You". Was in a band called RacerX, and lots of solos and collaborative stuff. He lived in Japan for awhile and was pretty much a god over there, along with Marty Friedman and others.) and John Petrucci was on the right (John is the guitar player for Dream Theater, one of the best prog-rock bands ever. Think Metallica meets Rush, Yes, Kansas, Floyd, etc. He also has a solo album "Suspended Animation" which is worth a listen)

What to do for your 7 year old son who shows signs of being musically gifted? That's easy!! Buy one less box of ammo per week or month and get that boy some lessons!! (usually $17-20 per lesson) Most music stores either offer lessons or have a bulletin board with contact info for those who do. Don't push him into playing an instrument or type of music YOU want him to (my parents made that mistake) and if he doesn't seem like he likes his teacher, find another. I've seen lots of 5-6 year olds taking guitar lessons, and I've seen some 10 year olds that make me look like a doofus on the instrument. It's pretty cool to see an 11 yr old play "Kashmir", and be good at it! It's also a blast to see a little guy get down the chords for "Smoke on the Water"! Rock and Roll is alive and well my friends!

Guest c_o_jones

Glad to know there are other Satch/DT/G3 fans on TGO.:devil:

If G3 ever comes to Nashville, we need to get a group to go.

Edited by c_o_jones
Guest GUTTERbOY
I can riff all day and not play anything to hold a candle to these guys. :devil:

I know the feeling... it goes way beyond just stringing notes together. I can play some of Satch's stuff note-for-note, but it's still nowhere near the same... seems like anything I ever play just ends up sounding flat and lifeless compared to what these guys do.

Which I guess is the reason that they're out there making good money doing it, while I'm just noodling around in my rec room.

:D

I used to be a huge Satch fan back in the day, but the last few years my tastes have moved in other directions. I still keep tabs on his releases though, and would love to see him in concert again. I went to see him on the 2001 G3 tour (with Vai and Petrucci) and managed to win myself a pair of aftershow passes on satriani.com, so my girlfriend and I got to meet him and Steve. Pretty cool guys. And Joe is surprisingly short...

Guest Astra900

I h8 all you musically inclined people!:devil:

My father could play anything with strings on it. I mean ANYTHING! I have seen him play everything from bass, piano, banjo, steel guitar, you name it, and he could smoke it. Did I get anything passed along in the genes? Hell no.

I'd give just about anything to be able to play, but I got the tonedeaf shaft!

Atleast I can still jam with my custom Les Paul air guitar:D

I h8 all you musically inclined people!;)

My father could play anything with strings on it. I mean ANYTHING! I have seen him play everything from bass, piano, banjo, steel guitar, you name it, and he could smoke it. Did I get anything passed along in the genes? Hell no.

I'd give just about anything to be able to play, but I got the tonedeaf shaft!

Atleast I can still jam with my custom Les Paul air guitar:D

Werd. As I mentioned my dad played the banjo, but also the drums.

I almost posted that awhile ago! That video is incredible.

This is the version I usually find myself watching (same song, different taping) I think Gilbert is better in the video you posted, but I like Portnoy better in this one! (EDIT--- OK, after watching your video, HOLY CRAP!! Paul is INCREDIBLE in that one! Just amazing! His accuracy with those targeted highspeed slides is mindblowing!)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynB3Ei45MhM[/ame]

Edited by musicman