Ah yes....long range here I come....

Guest 70below

Guest 70below

I've been on the hunt for a heavy barrel tactical 30-06 for quite a while now.....I've always had a soft spot in my heart for '06 and while ammo is reasonable (relatively speaking) for them I figured now is the time. Unfortunately, as I found, there are very few heavy barrel tactical rifles out there chambered in 30-06 (read: None). You can spend thousands having a custom gun built, but there have only been a few offerings out there as everyone had a thing for 308. Thankfully, Savage had a couple offering that they discontinued a couple years ago, one being the 110FP police tactical rifle that is now only offered in 25-06 and .300 win mag, and the other being this little beauty! Savage 112 Varmint! I was lucky to find this one after months of watching, and scored a pretty sweet deal on it. Its got a ful glass bedded action, heavy fluted barrel, target crown, free floating barrel, Leupold rings, and the laminated heavy varmint stock. This particular model doesn't have the accutrigger, but it feels pretty good, though will probably get a tune up. I plan on blackening the SS barrel, and will try and score a Hogue overmolded stock with full aluminum bedding block. A nice scope and bi-pod and I hope to get within 100ft of 1000yd target....lol.

sav112fullpj4.jpg

sav112flutedgj9.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always heard bad things about Savage bolt guns,

A very common misconception.

People have it in their brains that you have to spend over $700 for an accurate gun... and only Remington 700's are the way to go. Kinda like Harley riders thinking that Harleys are the only bikes. There is always something less expensive and often times better out there that can kick its arse.

i have a savage 22-250 with a light barrel that shoots less than a 1 inch group at 150 i am very satisfied with it,on a good calm day it is more like a half inch.

Guest Traumaslave

I love my .17HMR. I'll get lucky and keep .2 at 100yrds. Those accutriggers are fantastic!!!! I won't spend the $$$$ on a 700, Savage has my business.:)

Very nice rifle. I too prefer the '06 to the .308. Of course I prefer a .270 to the .308 too!

I've always heard bad things about Savage bolt guns, but a friend had one of the big-barrel .308s that would shoot five shot, one hole groups at 100 yards. Can't argue with that!

Really? Every thing I've read says they are one of the most accurate rifle out of the box you can buy. Even compared to some customs out there. I've heard nothing but good things about them.:)

I've been on the hunt for a heavy barrel tactical 30-06 for quite a while now.....I've always had a soft spot in my heart for '06 and while ammo is reasonable (relatively speaking) for them I figured now is the time. Unfortunately, as I found, there are very few heavy barrel tactical rifles out there chambered in 30-06 (read: None). You can spend thousands having a custom gun built, but there have only been a few offerings out there as everyone had a thing for 308. Thankfully, Savage had a couple offering that they discontinued a couple years ago, one being the 110FP police tactical rifle that is now only offered in 25-06 and .300 win mag, and the other being this little beauty! Savage 112 Varmint! I was lucky to find this one after months of watching, and scored a pretty sweet deal on it. Its got a ful glass bedded action, heavy fluted barrel, target crown, free floating barrel, Leupold rings, and the laminated heavy varmint stock. This particular model doesn't have the accutrigger, but it feels pretty good, though will probably get a tune up. I plan on blackening the SS barrel, and will try and score a Hogue overmolded stock with full aluminum bedding block. A nice scope and bi-pod and I hope to get within 100ft of 1000yd target....lol.
Now, if we can just find someplace with a 1000 yd. range (you still working on ORSA?)...I suppose we could bust the AR-10 out of cold storage and go shot-for-shot. Guess I'll have to sell the kid to pick up some .308...
Guest 70below

I've always loved the 700's and really like that 700 SPS Tactical that they have out, but I wish they offered it in more chamberings and with a slightly longer barrel. Yeah, next paycheck I'm going to get more serious about accessorizing and getting my ORSA membership. I doubt I'll have the cash for an optic that serious for 1000 yet, but I doubt I'm ready for 1000 yet either. Start working my way out as I work out some good reloads. Get a good baseline at 100, go to 300 and then out from there as my capabilities and equipment allow. I've shot out to 350-400 in the past, but no further.

I bought a Savage 110 7MM Mag. about 15 years ago.The bolt has always been sloppy but,that gun is accurate.I had a good brake put on it along with the barrel parkerized and tephlon coated.

Let us know how it does.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tennesseewood

Does ORSA have a page on what the long range shooting league consists of?

Show up by 4:45 first shot down range at 5:00. Have a suitable rifle (with a Zero, 100 yards is fine I'd rather have you low than trying to shoot into the next state) You have 1 hour to shoot a couple of strings (sighters and 20 shots is what most do) and then 1 hour pit duty. If you like it we just ask you join ORSA http://orsahp.com/default.aspx

Unless your an experienced NRA Highpower shooter Expert or better leave the Garand and the 150's at home. Great rifle is any Remington/Savage with the best scope you can afford.

Guest FroggyOne2

Hope to see you all on the line at ORSA on the 14th of March.. first day of long range at 1000 yards.. then on sunday the 15th at 600 yards.. looking forward to it..