Bills you may want to watch. - Discussion

Guest rockbottom12
We need to push our legislative reps and senators and the new house speaker to make the following realistic changes:

1 Allow those with a permit AND off duty LEO's to carry in places that serve alcohol as long as the person isn't intoxicated (AR did get that part right)...i don't want to see some watered down garbage law like Arkansas has that requires the place to receive a certain amount of money from food sales. Clean laws help lessen confusion.

2. Clarify that those with permits and off duty police may carry in parks, rec areas, civic centers.

3. Clean up the 'big game' laws....allow permitees to carry on public land while hunting...whether bow hunting or not. I don't think i'm going to risk game warden trouble by shooting a deer with my pistol while bow hunting....many states already allow this.

4. Decriminalize the properly worded 39-17-1359 signs. Again why should i be treated like a criminal b/c of a goofy sign...if caught I can be asked to leave but why should i be fined when i went through all the hoops and paid the money to be legal? Cleaning up the sign law would de facto let us carry in 'posted' state and local buildings.

5. Allowing carry on school property would be nice...but i don't see it happening...some things just take steps.

I would give a big +1 to all of these. I wrote a very lengthy letter to representatives and the one from here in cleveland where I go to college. but it can be basically summed up with this "the reason you dont see mass shootings in gun ranges is because law abiding peole are there with guns" but it was much more elaborate than that.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with all of them except the last one. I think the last one should read "authorizes anyone who possess a handgun carry permit to carry a firearm under same circumstances and conditions as law enforcement officers and correctional officers." Why should judges be singled out ?

Guest GUTTERbOY
Attempts like this is the very reason I buy ammo in bulk.

Resolutions to repeal the 22nd amendment get proposed pretty much like clockwork every two years. They also die a natural death every time.

Nothing strange or new here.

Edited by GUTTERbOY
I suck at posting links
Guest Liberty Seeker

I can and would be willing to write a bill if you all would like. I have written bills and submitted them. It's much easier to get them passed if you limit each bill to a specific item, but I'm willing to try whatever ya'll are up for. All we have to do is get it written and find a sponsor. My Rep is pro gun, and previous LEO, so if it's good he would sponsor it I believe.

If we can find 5 or 6 other souls, maybe we can get some bills through this year.

We need to push our legislative reps and senators and the new house speaker to make the following realistic changes:

1 Allow those with a permit AND off duty LEO's to carry in places that serve alcohol as long as the person isn't intoxicated (AR did get that part right)...i don't want to see some watered down garbage law like Arkansas has that requires the place to receive a certain amount of money from food sales. Clean laws help lessen confusion.

2. Clarify that those with permits and off duty police may carry in parks, rec areas, civic centers.

3. Clean up the 'big game' laws....allow permitees to carry on public land while hunting...whether bow hunting or not. I don't think i'm going to risk game warden trouble by shooting a deer with my pistol while bow hunting....many states already allow this.

4. Decriminalize the properly worded 39-17-1359 signs. Again why should i be treated like a criminal b/c of a goofy sign...if caught I can be asked to leave but why should i be fined when i went through all the hoops and paid the money to be legal? Cleaning up the sign law would de facto let us carry in 'posted' state and local buildings.

5. Allowing carry on school property would be nice...but i don't see it happening...some things just take steps.

I find it interesting that someone wants to make a law so that judges can carry anywhere police and prison guards can carry. The funny thing is judges in TN don't even need a permit to carry a handgun! What in the world are they griping about now??? If they really want to carry anywhere..they probably can already by getting the sheriff of the county they are in to make them a 'special deputy'...thus peace officer status. I've heard prosecutors are made special deputies in TN so that they can get around some of the weapons laws while working.

Guest Rick O'Shay
HB0004 Handgun Permits - As introduced, provides that person exempt from classroom and firing range training requirement by reason of prior military experience is also exempt from payment of $115 application and processing fee.

I actually have a problem with this one. I served in the military for six years and never touched a government weapon. I fought Desert Storm with a wrench in my hand - my job was to boil water. The classroom training was very good for me, but I admit I was already proficient with a handgun before i showed up for calss.

Ex-Navy Nuc

85-91

I find it interesting that someone wants to make a law so that judges can carry anywhere police and prison guards can carry. The funny thing is judges in TN don't even need a permit to carry a handgun! What in the world are they griping about now??? If they really want to carry anywhere..they probably can already by getting the sheriff of the county they are in to make them a 'special deputy'...thus peace officer status. I've heard prosecutors are made special deputies in TN so that they can get around some of the weapons laws while working.

I thought that a little weird too...

Like you said, as it know, judges can carry without a HCP.

But this bill would seem to only address those judges with a HCP. Making different classes of people even among judges...lol

Following bills added:

• SB0084 Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, authorizes person with a handgun permit who is not consuming alcohol to carry handgun in building where beer or alcoholic beverages are being served subject to posting of property provisions, and adds violation of possessing a firearm where alcohol is served as a reason for revocation of a person's handgun permit.
  • HB0233 Handgun Permits - As introduced, allows person who has handgun carry permit and is not consuming alcohol to possess handgun in any restaurant that derives more than 60 percent of its revenue from the sale of food and allows transient or guest to carry in confines of a hotel except in area where alcohol being served.
  • HB0254 Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, deletes requirement that the purchaser of a firearm give a thumbprint as part of background check process and that the TBI furnish thumbprint cards and pads to firearm dealers.
  • HB0266 Criminal Procedure - As introduced, adds omitted languge from provision allowing law of self-defense to apply to a person's business as well as the dwelling, residence, and occupied vehicle.

IMO SB0084 & HB0233 are very badly worded.

It still doesn't address non-restaurants (bowling alley, etc..) that serve alcohol.

A percentage requirement has never been popular with establishment owners.

Hopefully a clean bill will be introduced.

Guest HexHead
IMO SB0084 & HB0233 are very badly worded.

It still doesn't address non-restaurants (bowling alley, etc..) that serve alcohol.

A percentage requirement has never been popular with establishment owners.

Hopefully a clean bill will be introduced.

I agree. I don't like that in the Senate bill, it appears carrying in a posted restaurant will result in revocation of your permit. In the house bill, why can't you carry in hotels where alcohol is served if you're not drinking. I'm almost in favor of just leaving the law the way it is now and just continue doing whatever I'm doing.

I agree. I don't like that in the Senate bill, it appears carrying in a posted restaurant will result in revocation of your permit. In the house bill, why can't you carry in hotels where alcohol is served if you're not drinking. I'm almost in favor of just leaving the law the way it is now and just continue doing whatever I'm doing.

I'm like you on the hotel...AFAIK it is legal now to carry in a hotel, just not the bar part. The wording may be an attempt to clear things up, but I think it does just the opposite.

I think the wording about loosing your HCP is if you violate the law as it is changed in the bill. In other words if you drink while in a place that serves alcohol. Reason being is right now, both carry in a place that serves alcohol and carry while intoxicated are both misdemeanors and would not automatically cause your HCP to be revoked. All in all, if that would help getting the bill passed, I'm not strongly (but am mildly) opposed to that part. I guess they see it as a way to keep us honest and figure we won't risk our HCP by drinking.

But if the do that...why not just leave the percentage language out?

In section 2 it does amend 39-17-1352(a) to say a violation of 39-17-1305 would be a reason to revoke you HCP.

But if the bill passed that would also mean that 39-17-1305 would be amended to allows carry in there but not while drinking. Section 1

It mentions 39-17-1359 just to say a place could still post the property per that code.

Make sense?

We just need a clean bill (sorry for duplicating Fallguy..posted in Handgun Carry...having problems posting at times)...that allows on and off duty LEO's, those with permits, written directives, and of course owners and employees the ability to carry in establishments that serve alcohol on site. The food % requirement makes everything confusing and puts the burden on the permittee to find out really how much food a place makes to be legal or kind of guess. It still doesn't solve the problem of being able to legally carry in places like Autozone Park (ticket sales majority of revenue), the Orpheum (ticket sales again..and they sell liquor), and some movie theaters and bowling alleys. The bills presently presented are over complicated and wordy....I think if they were cleaned up tremendously...then we could have a great change to the weapons/alcohol law. Complexity is not good for LEO's, permittees trying to be legal, and the court system. I'd even let the judges carry there without their permits if that would help change the law for the overall better.

I'm personally not even opposed to someone drinking while carrying as long as they are not legally intoxicated. I find it funny that i can go across the state line to Southave/Olive Branch Mississippi, drink a beer with my dinner at a restaurant in and be legal with my handgun, but can't even walk into a restaurant in TN armed if i want to be legal..much less have a beer!

TN seems to have a hang up on liquor in general (no beer, ice, and cokes at liquor stores for example)...which seems strange considering George Dickel (spelling) and Jack are both in this state! I can go across from Memphis into Southaven or West Memphis and buy my ice, coke, and liquor at one place if i desire..I know a little off topic.

I'm with you Razorback.

If, IF, there is a percentage requirment it should just be a requirment that a certain percentage come from non-alcoholic sells, not just food. That ought to prevent you from carrying in the night club and bar, but still allow you to carry in restaraunt, bowling alley, etc.....

New bill added.....

SB0211 Handgun Permits - As introduced, exempts holder of handgun carry permit from prohibitions against carrying a firearm in any public park, playground, civic center, or other public recreational area or facility, carrying weapon in areas inhabited by big game, and possessing firearm while bow hunting.