What makes fish bite?

I went fishing this morning, and they were practically jumping in the boat. Everything weather wise should be similar tomorrow, but odds are, I won't get a bite if I go again. I eat every day. I guess I expect fish to do the same. I have never understood this phenomenon.

What makes fish bite? 
If you can truly answer that question you will be one of the most popular people on the planet. 

I agree with Alleycat though, the cicadas are driving lots of critters wild right now. The snakes are really out in force right now since several species love to gorge on them. 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, OldIronFan said:

What makes fish bite? 
If you can truly answer that question you will be one of the most popular people on the planet. 

I agree with Alleycat though, the cicadas are driving lots of critters wild right now. The snakes are really out in force right now since several species love to gorge on them. 

Seems like they’d get full on cicadas and not hit anything else. I guess I’m just thick headed.

2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Seems like they’d get full on cicadas and not hit anything else. I guess I’m just thick headed.

I've torn big bluegill up the last couple of days on a 1/64oz buffalo colored trout magnet, they have all been full of cicadas. I think the buffalo color scheme mimics a cicada. 

PXL_20240521_004002059.jpg

• Like 2
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

I've torn big bluegill up the last couple of days on a 1/64oz buffalo colored trout magnet, they have all been full of cicadas. I think the buffalo color scheme mimics a cicada. 

PXL_20240521_004002059.jpg

Good haul! I was using night crawlers. Close enough I reckon?

Oh yeah… Thanks for the reply. I thought I was the only guy left who panfishes.

Edited by gregintenn
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Good haul! I was using night crawlers. Close enough I reckon?

Oh yeah… Thanks for the reply. I thought I was the only guy left who panfishes.

One of my favorite things to do. I really enjoy ultralight tackle. Currently running 2lb SOS line. Those bull bluegill will make that drag scream. I probably fought that 2lb channel cat for 10 minutes. 

Back when I was single, me and a buddy would limb and trot line for cats. This time of year when the May Fly's are hatching I would smack a tree limb over the water, the fly's woulds fall and I could catch 3 or 4 small brim on my fly rod, what a fun time.

As a younger guy, I can remember shoreline fishing, picking mayflys off a nearby tree. I could get bites on every cast as long as there was a fish nearby. I bet the cicadas are making things tough for sure.

• Love 1

Went out again this afternoon for just a couple of hours. Tried my go to Trout Magnet jig with little success. I had caught maybe 25 cicadas before I left the house. I rigged up with 2lb SOS line, a Trout Magnet float about 2.5 feet above a #6 aberdeen hook, no weight. The float was mostly to get more casting distance. This rig allowed the cicada to stay on top of the water. The big blues absolutely tore them up. I fished until I ran out of cicadas and left, no pictures because I was catch and release today. 

• Like 1

"What makes fish bite?" 

Well in my experience it is dropping or setting down your rod and someone else touching it.   Everyone but me can catch something on my rod. 

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Got onto the shellcrackers today. They wouldn't hit a jig for anything, but they were gladly taking worms, until they weren't. Caught a few really nice size ones. If you look at the first picture, I tried to put my phone next to the fish for scale, but cut half of it off anyway. 

Screenshot_20240606_211934_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240606_211955_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

By the looks of the bass fishermen the only thing that makes em bite is funding. $100k boat, another $100k in electronics, $30k in tackle and bait up with hundred dollar bills. If I were a bass I'd feel honored to get caught by one of those guys. 

• Haha 1