New Speaker of the House: Rep. Kent Williams

Guest GUTTERbOY

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said in the other thread the repub threat was really a parliamentary trick or some other weird thing. Well they got it. Now he will split committees and repubs will get thwarted of many things likely. Mumpower doomed himself when he removed his objection. It wasn't a good one but it was probably parliamentary correct.

Now if Deberry gets the Speaker-Pro Tem things will all be off the table. The other option is McDaniel, who was already a squishy repub. Not good. Not good at all.

Guest GLOCKGUY

About Kent Williams

http://www.vote-usa.org/Intro.aspx?Id=TNWilliamsKent

Profile for Kent Williams General: No Response Personal: Gender: Male

Family: Wife: Gayle

4 Children: Dave, Mark, Roby, John.

Birth Date: 06/23/1949

Birthplace: Elizabethton, TN

Home City: Butler, TN Education: Graduate, Unaka High School, 1967. Profession: Owner, Dino?s Restaurant, 1995-present

Vice President, Steak Houses of Homestead, Incorporated, 1991-1995

Vice President of Operations, Family Steak Houses of Miami, Incorporated, 1981-1991

Restaurant Manager, Sizzler Family Steakhouses

Engineering Department, Tennessee Department of Transportation Military: No Response Civic: Member, Carter County Republican Party

Member, Elizabethton-Carter County Chamber of Commerce

Member, Elizabethton-Carter County Hunting and Fishing Club

Member, Grace Baptist Church

Member, National Rifle Association

Member, Tennessean Restaurant Association

Chairman, United Way Campaign. Political: Representative, Tennessee State House of Representatives, 2006-present. Religion: Southern Baptist Accomplishments: No Response

Guest GLOCKGUY

Well heres his first lie of the year.

http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2008/11/07/naifeh-republican-whipped-into-shape/

Rep. Kent Williams on his intent to vote for a Republican state House speaker:

“I want to state today, unequivocally, that I pledge to vote for a Republican for Speaker of the House. I have every reason to expect that the Republican nominee will be Leader Jason Mumpower. We are grateful that the people of Tennessee have given us the opportunity to lead. We will make them proud.”

Well heres his first lie of the year.

http://politics.nashvillepost.com/2008/11/07/naifeh-republican-whipped-into-shape/

Rep. Kent Williams on his intent to vote for a Republican state House speaker:

“I want to state today, unequivocally, that I pledge to vote for a Republican for Speaker of the House. I have every reason to expect that the Republican nominee will be Leader Jason Mumpower. We are grateful that the people of Tennessee have given us the opportunity to lead. We will make them proud.”

I don't see a lie in his quote. He did vote for a Republican (himself), and the Republican Party nominee was Mumpower.

You gotta love politics.

Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.

Legislative Action Committee

As I am watching the proceedings in the Tennessee House of Representatives and the Naifeh machine at work. The Democrat leadership nominated Republican Kent Williams as Speaker of the House to run against Rep. Jason Mumpower. Williams apparently voted for himself and received the votes of apparently all 49 Democrats.

After making his acceptance speech, he continues to refer to "Speaker Jimmy Naifeh" and defers to him to finish out the proceedings even though Naifeh is no longer Speaker.

The next item of business is the nomination of a Speaker Pro Tem. The first nominee from the Democrats is Lois Deberry. The Republicans ask for a recess to decide what to do after this bombshell.

It will be interesting to hear the fallout as he predicts in his acceptance speech that he may not be a Republican much longer.

John Harris

Executive Director

With Naife the biggest problem is that the laws, that we are interested in, never even made it to the floor for vote. At least, hopefully, they will or can go to the floor and vote be made.......right....maybe....hopefully....