Looking for bolt action 30-06 suggestions?

Guest lobes65

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Savage 110. Reliable, very reasonable, varied stocks to be had.

If your looking to spend more, Remington BDL, Weatherby!

I broke my synthetic in a horrible ATF accident! (hung my hunting coat over the gun boot on the ATF, backed up to put vehicle on porch to get out of the rain and saw my dad laughing his butt off at me, look behind me and my coat was ripped, my gun boot rear half was lying on the ground with the back half of the stock still in it!)

It gave me a good excuse to get into buying a semi finished Boyds stock and got this

Savage110riflewithcustomhandstoc-2.jpg

wanting a bolt action chambered in 30-06 with open sights an preferaby a synthetic stock. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Check some of the big sporting good stores. Savage, Winchester, remington, etc, all had some package deals for Bass Pro, Dicks, Academy, etc, now that hunting season is over and everything is slow, make an offer.

The other idea is wait until the next gunshow. I have bought this year, rifles in 7 mag and 06 as low as 240 and 300 from those desperate to sell and I suspect that there will be a lot more since the economy is still slow and hunting season is over.

Guest Bronker

My buddy bought a Remington Model 700 in .30-06, synthetic stock, with scope, all for $520 out the door from Walmart of all places, today! Pretty good deal I thought.

I have a wood model 700 in -06 that I got on my 14th birthday, 23 years ago. I've killed hundreds of animals with it. It is one of the two guns I will take to my grave with me.

Love those Remmys!!!

Guest Wilson1

While I personally use a pre-64 Model 70 Winchester Featherweight in 30.06 (got a dam good deal on it with a Leupold scope - from a cousin, in the right place at the right time for once!) for deer hunting, when I retire this one to purchase another for deer hunting - a Remington 700 is at the TOP of my list. Well, it's really the only one I'm considering! I've seen how well they shoot out of the box, smooth, accurate, fast handling, good reputation, etc. (ex BIL had one in .270 - don't recall him ever losing a deer).

Mike

Guest bkelm18

I've had good experiences with a Savage 110. If you're going for super inexpensive, try the Stevens 200. Its made by Savage, uses the Savage action, just doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the regular Savages.

Guest 70below

If you can snatch up a good deal on a Browning A-bolt, jump all over it. I've got a Browning A-Bolt "Camo Stalker" in '06 that I got years ago and is probably my favorite hunting rifle all time. Its pre-boss, and the camo stalker wasn't really camo, it just had a green and black laminate stock that kind of gave it a camo look along with a dark blueing. I've never seen another like it. Great rifle and has taken caribou and moose. I've been very happy with Rem 700's and my Savage 112 so far.

Guest Traumaslave
remington 700 is a better gun than the savage ever wants to be - so buy a remington 700

Come on man, really? The band wagon is a great ride but, you've got to get off some time. You must work for Remington.

Box for box, the Savage is a better rifle for the buck. The trigger is better out of the box. Sure, you can trick out a 700 with a new jeweled trigger or put a custom barrel on it but, no trigger change needed for a Savage and you won't "need" to change the barrel (not that you need to for either).

There are different levels of both rifles but, a Savage will be, at least, as good out of the box as a Remington and cost about 20% less.

1. You didn't state a price or range.

I agree with Traumaslave. You dont have to pay for a name to get a great rifle.

Savage IMO is best bang for the buck right out of the box, especially with the accutrigger.

The remington 700 is awesome.

I love a Ruger m77 with a tang safety. My favorite .06 of all times. Smoothest action and accurate.

Beware of some of the combo guns being sold for under $400 at places like Dick's and Wally world. Some feature plastic trigger parts.

It all goes back to #1.