Safe or safe company suggestions?

Hey all. At long last, I'm finally situated to buy a safe. I was hoping y'all could recomend some good safes, or a dealer that I should buy from.

I'm looking for a safe that's under 60" tall, and no more than 29" wide. I realize it's rather small, but that's the maximum space I have that I can put a safe into. I was originally looking at a Zanotti Armor ZA-II, but after speaking with them I found out they have a six month delay between the time you order and the time it ships. I understand if there's a bit of a wait, but I'd like to keep it under 30 days. I've looked at a lot of the 'safes' in big box stores, sporting good stores, etc, and have been less than impressed. Any suggestions?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ideally, it would be made of 8 gauge steel or better, with a dial lock, and locking bolts on all four sides of the door. Interior wise, one shelf toward the top for handguns and the rest with racks for long guns. I'd like a fire rating of about an hour at 1250* or better. Naturally I would like holes pre-drilled to bolt it down, but drilling any necessary holes myself isn't a big deal. The Zanotti I was looking at in that configuration claimed they could sardine can 30 long guns in there, which would allow me plenty of growing room.

Otherwise, I'm really not sure. I've been reading as much online stuff as I can find on gun safes, so if I'm missing anything I'd appreciate the help.

Check Randys Pawn in Trenton,GA. no sales tax for tn.sales, has huge selection of Liberty safes and the best deals anywhere, will also deliver and set up!

Edited by slim

When I bought my safe I was trying to get one that was very secure. After shopping around I realized (unless you spend a fortune on your safe). All you are doing is slowing down the bad guy. A sawzall with a metal cutting blade would take less than 5 mins and the safe will be empty. I ended up buying a $799 cannon safe with a 1200 degree fire rating. And after I bought it I saw the same one at tractor supply for $599.

Guest flyfishtn

56FordGuy, I would highly recommend calling and visiting Mark at http://www.nashvillesafehouse.com/. I pulled the trigger this week on one and he will take good care of you. No high pressure sales and all he deals in are safes unlike a big box so you get actual knowledge and solid recommendations.

PM if you want more info.

I just got headquarter's approval for a safe. That means clean out a large corner in the garage and ebay about $1500 worth of stuff.

Mark is a nice guy willing to show the noob a quality product.

I will try contribute my knowledge as I go.

"If you build it they will come" This is a green light for future purchases.

Stack On for the money makes good safes I know Hero Gear and Dicks carry them...they have fireproof and waterproof models...Mines a 28 gun safe I only paid about $600 for it.

Edit: Unless your spending big money its not gonna stop a professional, but mine will stop a nosy houseguest or crack head which is all im worried about.

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
info

Flyfishtn, The Safe House looks promising. I'll try to get down that way this week or next and stop by.

I understand there won't be much that will stop a pro, and most RSCs will stop the average smash and grab guy. At the same time, I still want to get the best I can afford as part of an overall home security plan. While I may not stop a pro entirely, I'd like to slow him down as much as possible.

Guest flyfishtn
Flyfishtn, The Safe House looks promising. I'll try to get down that way this week or next and stop by.

I understand there won't be much that will stop a pro, and most RSCs will stop the average smash and grab guy. At the same time, I still want to get the best I can afford as part of an overall home security plan. While I may not stop a pro entirely, I'd like to slow him down as much as possible.

If you can't make it during the week he opens by appointment on Saturday.

My intent is just like yours, overall security plan and to slow someone down.

Guest gcrookston

I have a Liberty Presidential's 50 gun safe and have been quite satisfied with it, though it's never been put to the test. Real bitch moving these... I've moved it 5 times to 4 different states. You try to explain to the guy the sucker weighs 1,300# empty and they always show up with a truck and a ramp and 4 befuddled day laborers... Forklift (what part of that word do these moving companies not understand?)

Guest malbolja

I bought an American Security safe from West End Lock Co in Nashville. They delivered the safe for a reasonable price and were very professional. I'm happy with the safe

I don't know what his delivery options are but Frank Zykan has a good reputation on Sigforum, is very knowledgeable and helpful. He deals mostly in higher end safes.

http://www.zykansafe.com/

Guest flyfishtn
I've considered the moving/ installation issues, which is why I originally wanted a multi- piece Zanotti unit. However, in light of their wait time, I'm going to check out The Safe House, and see what they have; then pay someone to move and install it.

56FordGuy, I got mine from them and they installed it this past week. I paid them to install it and was super pleased. Mark and company did an incredible job and have the "tools" to get it done right while I watched.

Excellent service and attention to detail!! :doh: