going to bite the bullet

Guest gcrookston

Guest gcrookston

I've decided it's time to start reloading. I would like to reload .308, .300winmag, .223, 9mm and .45 acp. I'm told the Dillon 550 is the way to go for the bulk stuff, but a Dillon Square is the way to go for the match stuff...

Would this be sound advice?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FroggyOne2

My friend.. the Dillon 550 is the one that is used for match ammo.. Just ask the US Palma team, David Tubb (11 time National Champ) and others.. if you want to make quality match grade ammo in bulk.. the Dillon 550 is the way to go.. Just make sure that you spend the extra moola for the roller handle.. you will really appriciate it.

Guest Mugster

You want a progressive, dillon is the best, imo. The big difference between the 550 and the square, is the 550 takes standard dies and has a bigger throw for reloading rifle ammo. The square takes a proprietary dillion threaded die, so you can be limited on die sizes. There's some other minor differences in function, but they are both well built machines, imo. They should produce ammo of equal quality.

Guest gcrookston
holy crap, I'm a little stunned you don't reload already gcrook :censored:

I haven't really needed to stock up on anything for a few years, as I'd not been doing much shooting. I'm shooting more and running low of certain calibres. I've been shopping around. My usual ammo sources have dried up and I hate to pay retail for bulk. I'm down to my last can of 9 cent 9mm and last box of 42 cent 300WM. Yesterday was the first time I'd shopped for these two calibres in about 4 years. I'd heard ammo prices were crazy stupid, but holy batcrap!

Generally speaking, if it's not US Nato Surplus it's match ammo that I shoot. So it appears it's come time to start reloading not only Nato Spec' but also Match. At least least I have a few thousand rounds of once fired brass in all my favorite calibres.

Edited by gcrookston

Since you are wanting to load for both pistol & rifle I would go with the 550 (or even the 650). The SDB press will ONLY reload pistol ammo, and it uses dies from dillon only.

I have the SDB and it works great, but I mainly load for pistol. I will be starting rifle soon, so I have my "old" lee turret press for that for now until I can save up the $$ and get a dillon.

Guest Revelator

Nine-cent 9mm. I haven't been around guns long enough to know what it was like to get ammo at that price. This is one of those moments when I just say "wow."

550 for rifle calibers. SDB for pistol. Nobody can beat Dillon's no BS warranty. I'm starting to load 308 for F-class so I decided to go with a RCBS Master kit. (spent all my money on rifle and glass)

DaG

Guest FroggyOne2
I'm starting to load 308 for F-class so I decided to go with a RCBS Master kit. (spent all my money on rifle and glass)

DaG

Does that mean that I will be seeing you a lot at ORSA on the second weekend of each month?

A single stage press shouldn't be ruled out for reloading rifle rounds (depending on how many you will need). I'm about to get a Dillon 550 set up and running, with the intention of cranking out 9mm now, and hopefully .223 down the road. Everybody tells me the general rule of thumb is to go ahead and get the 650 if you ever want to run a casefeeder, but I doubt I ever will. The Dillon "no BS" warranty is just that--they are a great example of what "American made" used to mean.