I love a good night spent at the reloading bench!

Ahhhh....... I haven't been able to load any ammo since before Halloween! Tonight I finally had the chance to spend a couple hours working on me Lee turret press crankin' out some rounds. I ran off 150 max loads of H110 with a 158gr JSP, then 150 38+Ps approximating the LSWCHP "FBI" load, and then another 100 rounds of 148gr LHBWC target loads. I wanted to load 500 rounds tonight, but 350'll do!

Something about a little time behind a bench just seems to really relax me. I know, it took me three hours to do what somebody with a Dillon can do in 35 mins, but I just really like the process I have down. I'm sure I'll have to go Dillon later, but I'm diggin' where I'm at.

Does anybody else get so much enjoyment from reloading?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was home for a week and managed to get 40 brand new cases primed and ready for re loading.

I've been "downturned" by General Dynamics (its normal in this industry..) and my wife wants me to stay home for a little while..so I'm gonna get some time in on the bench myself, working up .308 loads and some .45 LC loads.

I guess I'll go back to work in about a week..:P

There have been way to many one hour lunches which have turned into 2.5hrs sessions.

Its the work of creation that I love. 300gr HP .50ae boxes of 50 at a time. I'm not sure what is going to give me Carpel Tunnel first, single stage loading, or the firing of the DE .50ae.

JMTC

Guest bkelm18

I want to get into reloading but the only thing I shoot with any great frequency at the moment is 9mm and through my research the profit margin is too slim to be worth the time.

I want to get into reloading but the only thing I shoot with any great frequency at the moment is 9mm and through my research the profit margin is too slim to be worth the time.

Even as recent as year ago, it was not really cost effective to reload 9mm. Now though, it is. To me at least. The last time I calculated it, I figured about 6.00 per 50 rounds. That's only for materials and not the initial start up cost of the equipment. That price is also for using recycled brass. I reuse brass that I have shot and/or picked up, I haven't purchased brass. That price is for materials to reload basic range ammo.

Guest bkelm18
Even as recent as year ago, it was not really cost effective to reload 9mm. Now though, it is. To me at least. The last time I calculated it, I figured about 6.00 per 50 rounds. That's only for materials and not the initial start up cost of the equipment. That price is also for using recycled brass. I reuse brass that I have shot and/or picked up, I haven't purchased brass. That price is for materials to reload basic range ammo.

Yeah, but a box of Brown Bear is a couple bucks more. I am young and impatient. I want immediate benefits. :D

Guest Astra900

I enjoy loading about as much as I enjoy shooting it.

You guys ain't loaded since before halloween??????? WTF?!?!?!?!?:D

I spend an hour every evening and usually half a day on sunday. If I come in after work without going to my shop my wife will immediately come and ask if I'm sick!

Guest Astra900

You don't know how tempted I am to start doing that. It's that whole liability thing though. In a perfect world, I would be on that like flies on :D

As it is not a perfect world, I won't do it. I have been asked lots of times. It's always no, as any savvy reloader can understand.

I'd sure love to do that though!!!!

Guest Astra900

I've even thought about investing in dies for calibers I will NEVER need like .40 S&W and start processing brass; Clean, deprime, flare, polish, and reprime.

I've thought about doing rifle brass too,I use a lathe to trim cases with, and I can do it three times faster than the average casual reloader.

I'll tell you one thing I get a lot of fun out of, forming cases. I shoot 8mm Mauser a lot, if you look in my ammo cans marked 8mmPRABPB (plinking-rock and bowling pin busters) the head stamps say 30/06, .270, LC, LC match....I don't think I have any 8mm brass that actually says 8mm Mauser!