How should I carry a full size 1911

Guest GSP

I'm 5'11" 190-200lbs.... What holster would be best for concealed carry... I'm not worried about carry in winter, but what about summer... I wear pocket t's everyday and refuse to wear a shirt to big or a button up shirt unbuttoned.... Would I be forced to carry open?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a good quality IWB holster and wear it just behing the hip. As long as your shirts aren't skin tight you'll be fine.

I'm 6'3 and around 170. I also carry a 1911. My general rule of thumb is if a Medium size t-shirt is what I normally wear than I need a Large to cover it. It doesn't have to be baggy, just not skin tight.

I tell people all the time that if you want to conceal certain guns you HAVE to compromise on your dress style. If you refuse either get a smaller gun or OC. I'm not a big fan of everyday OC. I support it, but I don't like losing the element of surprise that being a citizen with a concealed firearm provides.

Guest bkelm18
I'm 5'11" 190-200lbs.... What holster would be best for concealed carry... I'm not worried about carry in winter, but what about summer... I wear pocket t's everyday and refuse to wear a shirt to big or a button up shirt unbuttoned.... Would I be forced to carry open?

Well, you gotta make certain concessions when you choose to conceal bigger guns. Wearing bigger clothes or over-shirts is one of them. No one but yourself is going to force you to carry openly.

I often carry my commander 1911 in a similar fashion. As long as you get a good IWB and it is keeping your gun close to your waist, then a simple t-shirt or polo has always worked for me

• Administrator

The 1911 is one of the easiest full-size automatics to conceal. As others have said, a good holster is important. I carry my 1911 in a Milt Sparks Versa-Max II (VM2) inside the waistband holster, or a Comp-Tac MTAC inside the waistband holster. Either would work fine for you.

However, of paramount importance is your gun belt. Just any old leather belt isn't going to cut it. You need something purpose built for carrying and properly distributing the weight of your firearm, holster, spare mag, mag carrier, etc. It doesn't have to look like Batman's utility belt or even a police officer's carry rig. Many look just like the brown leather jeans belt you probably already own.

I recommend www.thebeltman.net to anyone who will listen. Many TGO members have bought from him also and the reviews are always very positive. I suggest that you start there and then branch out to other vendors if you don't find something that you like.

Again, do not underestimate the importance of a good, sturdy belt. It is what will make or break the comfort and concealability of whatever carry device you choose. The leather belts you buy in clothing stores are 99.9999% never thick enough or sturdy enough to both properly distribute the weight of your gear around the circumference of your hips, nor are they strong enough to pull your holster and firearm in tight enough to your body to keep them from protruding and being easily spotted beneath your cover garments.

Guest eyebedam
The 1911 is one of the easiest full-size automatics to conceal. As others have said, a good holster is important. I carry my 1911 in a Milt Sparks Versa-Max II (VM2) inside the waistband holster, or a Comp-Tac MTAC inside the waistband holster. Either would work fine for you.

However, of paramount importance is your gun belt. Just any old leather belt isn't going to cut it. You need something purpose built for carrying and properly distributing the weight of your firearm, holster, spare mag, mag carrier, etc. It doesn't have to look like Batman's utility belt or even a police officer's carry rig. Many look just like the brown leather jeans belt you probably already own.

I recommend www.thebeltman.net to anyone who will listen. Many TGO members have bought from him also and the reviews are always very positive. I suggest that you start there and then branch out to other vendors if you don't find something that you like.

Again, do not underestimate the importance of a good, sturdy belt. It is what will make or break the comfort and concealability of whatever carry device you choose. The leather belts you buy in clothing stores are 99.9999% never thick enough or sturdy enough to both properly distribute the weight of your gear around the circumference of your hips, nor are they strong enough to pull your holster and firearm in tight enough to your body to keep them from protruding and being easily spotted beneath your cover garments.

+1000000000000 on a good gun belt. You can also try a Wildernedd belt if you wanna be really Tacti-cool.:P

Guest Halfpint

I've got a Commander-sized Kimber, and I couldn't agree more with what everyone has said-- get a GOOD inside-the-waistband holster, a GREAT gun belt, and wear the gun in the 4:00-5:00 region and you're golden.

Mitch Rosen ARG, Galco "Instructors" belt that was on clearance at G&A back when I shopped there . . . carried from 8A to 10P every day with no problems. :)

I've always concealed a Kel-Tec PF9, so this is gonna be alittle different... I like the idea of open carry, but I just don't wanna call any unneeded attention to myself... Not to mention that the TV likes to villanize anyone with a gun...

Guest Mugster

I find a 1911 in an IWB holster to be very uncomfortable. Its also very heavy unless you get one made out of unobtanium. I don't mind it so much in a shoulder rig, but, you got to have a jacket or something to wear over the top.

I've always concealed a Kel-Tec PF9, so this is gonna be alittle different... I like the idea of open carry, but I just don't wanna call any unneeded attention to myself... Not to mention that the TV likes to villanize anyone with a gun...

I open carry all day every day in Nashville. I've not had any "unneeded" attention. Never had a MNPD officer pull his service weapon on me. Never been the subject of a "man with a gun call".

There are others that OC all day every day in Memphis. Nothing bad happens to them either.

OC is just as nerve racking as CC was the first time. Try OC and I think you'll like how it feels to be fully exercising a right.