Carry Pistol

Guest Terry J

• Administrator
Dont get me wrong i have no misconceptions that it might have been me and it would probably take a bit more getting used to but very rarely have I ever not been able to pick up a pistol and after 100 rds not had a decent feel for the way its going to shoot and be able to group a set together decently at 10 yds. Its not really that far. As far as accuracy maybe my expectations are a tad high but thats just me. If I had gotten to shoot my ammo maybe it would have made a difference also who knows. It will definatley be one ill try again in the future since i like the way it fits my hand.

I know your frustration with the M&P trigger precisely. My full-size 40 was driving me absolutely bat**** prior to sending it off for a trigger job. My grouping was horrible and I knew that I was doing everything right in terms of minimizing trigger jerk.

The thing is, some of those guns have a even more horrible break than others. My compact isn't like that and neither is my wife's compact. But the big 40 would literally jump to the left every time the trigger broke over and as a result my initial shot might have been off but my follow-up shot would definitely be off.

After the trigger was re-worked by Dan Burwell and the pull weight cut down to around 3.5lbs, the gun became a nail driver. If I miss now, it's because I screwed up. :D

If you were closer, I'd be more than happy to let you shoot it sometime at the range. That trigger feels almost as good now as some 1911 triggers do out of the box.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Terry J
I know your frustration with the M&P trigger precisely. My full-size 40 was driving me absolutely bat**** prior to sending it off for a trigger job. My grouping was horrible and I knew that I was doing everything right in terms of minimizing trigger jerk.

The thing is, some of those guns have a even more horrible break than others. My compact isn't like that and neither is my wife's compact. But the big 40 would literally jump to the left every time the trigger broke over and as a result my initial shot might have been off but my follow-up shot would definitely be off.

After the trigger was re-worked by Dan Burwell and the pull weight cut down to around 3.5lbs, the gun became a nail driver. If I miss now, it's because I screwed up. :D

If you were closer, I'd be more than happy to let you shoot it sometime at the range. That trigger feels almost as good now as some 1911 triggers do out of the box.

Thats cool. Im gonna try a few more and see what i think. Ultimatley its gonna come down to size and comfort for my big hands. I cant stand the compact glock so i know it wont be that. Im pretty much down to the M&P and the taurus mill pro. The taurus is easier on my budget but if its gonna fall aprt after a few hundred rounds then its not gonna work. I shoot alot and never shoot less that 2-300 rounds at a time so its gonna have to hold up. If all it takes is a little modifying of the trigger pull then Im all for it. Anyway all the info is very helpful and I appreciate everyone input. By all means if you have more suggestions throw them out there.

Guest dotsun
I have a friend who is in law enforcement. He uses a "Tupperwear" compact Glock 23 and can do smilies with it on a target at 100 yards. Compact plastic guns are as accurate as the shooter wants to practice to make them.

+1 I can't imagine how a plastic lower can possibly affect accuracy. I'd gladly put my Glock 26 up against a snubby or comparably sized archaic metal gun any day for accuracy. It's definitely more accurate then I am, not that that's saying much. :D

Guest ETS_Inc

I'm not even a fan of Glocks, but I'll gladly pick up someone else's and show you how it's not the material of which the gun is made that matters. The hardware is only a small portion of the equation. Most of it is software. The fundamentals of pistol marksmanship are the same if you're using a revovler, a 1911, or a piece of combat tupperware.

(For the record, I carry an all-metal gun, a Para-Ord C7/45 LDA, and have never personally owned a Glock in my life. I have shot plenty, and even borrowed one from my former father-in-law for about a year. I have owned several other types of plastic-fantastic, though.)

Guest Terry J

Well I was gonna go looking this weekend and pick up something but the girlfriend thought we needed furniture more so we all know how that goes. Still looking though just gonna be a couple months now before i can get one. Furniture is way more expensive than guns!!!

Back on track

Pistols fit everyone differently, cost, groups, how it feels in the hand. What you'll get from us is "our" experience but your doing the best thing, create your own experience. I will say this, make a collection as sometimes you need a gun that "fits" the situation.

Personally, I like the Kimber line. Semi custom 1911s that look and shoot great. I have the Compact Stainless II as my primary carry, a Desert Warrior for open carrying down at my families farm (and the Kewl factor). Now your first post was referring to Taurus pistols. I have a PT 24/7 with rails that shoots lights out. It was a third of the cost of the Compact Kimber but shoots right with it, albeit in the .40 S&W. Not much to do with it as far as upgrades but when I feel I could be getting into wet or dirty situations where I don't want to "mess" up the Kimbers, the Taurus comes out to play. Its also the "accessible" one in my home. Check these out and get you a TLR-1 so you can blind and see em at night. Then keep collecting so you have choices. Your girlfriend has more than one pair of shoes....right!:confused:

Taurus40andStreamlightTLR1.jpg

Guest Terry J
Back on track

Pistols fit everyone differently, cost, groups, how it feels in the hand. What you'll get from us is "our" experience but your doing the best thing, create your own experience. I will say this, make a collection as sometimes you need a gun that "fits" the situation.

Personally, I like the Kimber line. Semi custom 1911s that look and shoot great. I have the Compact Stainless II as my primary carry, a Desert Warrior for open carrying down at my families farm (and the Kewl factor). Now your first post was referring to Taurus pistols. I have a PT 24/7 with rails that shoots lights out. It was a third of the cost of the Compact Kimber but shoots right with it, albeit in the .40 S&W. Not much to do with it as far as upgrades but when I feel I could be getting into wet or dirty situations where I don't want to "mess" up the Kimbers, the Taurus comes out to play. Its also the "accessible" one in my home. Check these out and get you a TLR-1 so you can blind and see em at night. Then keep collecting so you have choices. Your girlfriend has more than one pair of shoes....right!:D

Taurus40andStreamlightTLR1.jpg

I love the Kimber 1911's they are sweet. I have a pretty good collection currently but they are all full size. So this gives me an excuse to start the carry size collection. Ive never been much on 45's but my brother has a 1930's model service one thats been heavily modified and shoots great. Dont remember the exact make/model but its nice. The Taurus you have is nice also. I was debating between that one at the store and the millenium. Oh and I quit counting at 30 pairs of shoes. Still havent figued that out since she only wears 3 or 4 of them. Oh well i guess.

Guest Kingfish

I have a PT 24/7

+1 on the 24/7 I have one in 9mm. It is my everyday carry gun. 1409 rounds downrange without a single issue of any kind.

Tip for anyone that does purchase a light railed pistol in the shorter barrel lengths. If your light extends beyond the crown at all, put some tape on top of the light so you don't powder burn the finish. Most of mine buffed out from the first time but it will change the look. The larger frames where your under the barrel it won't matter a bit.

Also, for my money, don't bother with the Insight X2. I got the light/laser version for a very short lived purchase of a Para Light Hawg and it was total crap. The laser would not bore sight well and the light would go off after every shot. The battery compartment is plastic housed and not strong at all like the TLR-1 or 2. Save your money. It was small but small and non working is worthless. The pistol had issues as well. I owned it less than 30 days.

IMG_5407.jpg

• Administrator
Tip for anyone that does purchase a light railed pistol in the shorter barrel lengths. If your light extends beyond the crown at all, put some tape on top of the light so you don't powder burn the finish.

Nice tip! :shrug:

Just read through all of the comments.

I liked the PT111. It was sized nicely. Ergos were fine. Trigger and accuracy were so so.

I have a SA XD-SC 9mm. Not very impressed! I like versatility, but I hate this pistol. This one will be gone soon.

Tried the S&W MP based on this forum. Very unimpressed.

I guess I stick with the glocks (34&36) and tauri (stainless 99 & 605) for carry.