How Much Would You Pay For A Gun Transfer?

Marswolf

How much are you willing to pay for a firearm transfer?  

99 members have voted

1. 1. How much are you willing to pay for a firearm transfer?

• $15.00 + $10 TICS
    • $20.00 + $10 TICS
    • $25.00 + $10 TICS
    • $30.00 + $10 TICS
    • $40.00 + $10 TICS
    • $50.00 + $10 TICS
    • A percentage of the purchase price + TICS

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're joking, right?

Everyone's favorite price is "free." Next favorite is "lowest I can get."

Why not start a poll on "what percentage of a gun's sales price do you think is profit?"

We already know how you feel about it, and no one is forcing you to post in this thread.

I believe the question at hand is "How much would you pay?", not "How much would you LIKE to pay?"

And for me personally I would say $25.00 + TICS.

I think this should give a good indication of how our members feel and think about transfer costs. It should be useful information to people in the gun selling business. Why chase your customers to other dealers? Yes...I know...you don't want customers who want to buy this way. But they will probably feel the same way about you. ;)

I don't know what the deal is on the free guy. Maybe he's just doing it a a favor to other gun buyers. He really didn't sound like a dealer. Probably someone grandfathered in who is just a gun enthusiast.

I've wondered why some gun club doesn't set up a store open to the public at the club building and not charge members anything but the state fee. All they would have to do is break even and the overhead would probably be negligible. That should increase membership too. If you buy a few guns each year, the club membership would essentially become free.

Guest triggertime

$25 + TICS is fair. Anything more enters the realm of bound book paranoia and taking advantage of the customer. But, as they say...opinions vary. It's just a transfer, its not brain surgery.

Since there is no “quality†involved; as low as possible.

After purchasing a couple of firearms from a local dealer I wouldn’t expect to pay anything if I was transferring something he didn’t have or couldn’t get. ;)

That is the relationship I had in my home state, unfortunately I haven’t been able to find that since I moved here.

On used stuff I have just posted on several forums what I want or what I am selling and put “FTF in TENNESSEE†in the title. I have had real good luck with that and the transfer hassle is not an issue. ;)

I've wondered why some gun club doesn't set up a store open to the public at the club building and not charge members anything but the state fee.

I used to belong to a gun club in the early 90's when I

still lived in Ohio, the club had an FFL and members could

do transfers for free.

But that was pre-brady and I don't know if they still do that

these days or not.

I would never expect a gun shop to work for free. There is nothing wrong with a nominal fee for you being able to make them work.

$25 sounds fair and seems to be the norm from what I have seen.

Would you expect a lawyer to give you free advice?

I looked for shops in the Knoxville area that do transfers about a week ago and most ranged from $20-35 with the $10 background check; however, some charged sales tax for the transferred weapon.

I wonder how they might justify charging TN State sales tax on the purchase? Does the shop have to 'purchase' then 're-sell' the weapon? This may prove too off topic.

I wonder how they might justify charging TN State sales tax on the purchase?

They don’t need to justify it. Tennessee requires you to pay tax; they say they are collecting it so you don’t have to do the paperwork. :)

Guest EasilyObsessed

I would pay $25 + $10 TICS.

But, I prefer to purchase all my guns from local shops. I like having someone to go to if I run into any problems, and most of the time, the local price is within $25 of what I would end up paying if I purchased online plus shipping and transfer costs.

Guest Steelharp

Before Bill opened his shop, I did one transfer through Sam at Complete here in Gallatin. It was from an out of state dealer, and he charged me sales tax. He told me if it had come in from a private individual, there would be no tax. But coming from a business, there was... :)

Though I have no plans on purchasing using an FFL transfer I thought it prudent to check out local shops who do it (the old never say never thought process). Always good to know all of your options. Adding all of these fees together it seems that (in most cases) a strictly local purchase is the way to go...

We've discussed the tax thing in another topic. See http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18895&postcount=17.

At one time, dealers were being pressured to collect the use tax. Somewhere along the line that stopped and most dealers do not do that anymore. I wonder if some dealers collect the tax as sales technique to encourage gun buyers to not buy from a mail order company.

I'd pay the $25 + the $10 fee. My local dealer gets all of my business.

Sorry to stray off of the subject, but what do you think of gun shops that aren't open on saturdays or after most people's normal working hours? If I need something, I'm not going to take off from work to go and do it. There was a shop here that closed at 4:30 and I could NEVER make it there. Thankfully for us, Hero Gear came along and are open till 6 and are open on Saturdays till 4.

I think it's entirely up to the business owner to set the hours. Small business owners have to have some time off too. Many don't even have another employee. But I think it makes more sense to be open on Saturday and off on Sunday and Monday, or off Friday and Saturday but be open on Sunday. A couple of nights of evening hours are a plus too.

Guest Old Chief

I think that a set fee for their services is appropriate. I also feel that you must make that bargin before you do business with them. One gun shop that I know of wants $100 to do a transfer. For transfer purposes I do not deal with them. I suspect that is the reason that their charge is so high.

I'd think much more highly of someone who just told me they don't do transfers than someone who said it would cost $100.

At least they leave the possibility open. The statement "we dont do transfers" and "we charge $100" (when comparable places charge $20-25) mean about the same thing.

I've met contractors who tell me if it's a job they'd really rather not do they'll bid a grossly high bid, figuring if the customer really wants them to do it then at least it will be profitable enough. This isnt much different.