Ready for a new 'puter

Guest Len

Well, it's time for a new computing machine. I'm looking for a "desktop replacement" laptop that allows for a docking station. It would be my desktop PC 90% of the time (with DSL, monitor, mouse, keyboard, printer and WiFI net hooked to the docking station), and I'll need to lug it around every now and then. Performance and docking-station compatibility is MORE important than small size/low weight.

Anyone have any opinions? I have a Dell desktop now that has been thoroughly mediocre.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal opinion is that the Dell Latitude (not the Inspiron) is the best bang for the buck when it comes to a laptop with a docking station. You can get the D-Port and monitor stand and have a fairly nice "compact" set up for a desktop replacement. Realize that you are going to be forced in to Windows Vista if you don't go with a "Business" model.

Most of the "home" computers that Dell or anyone else puts out for that matter, in my opinion, are not meant for anyone wanting real "horsepower" out of their machines. That is of course, unless you go with Alienware and I don't know if you want that kind of price tag.

Just a quick "configuration" on their site gets you a Dell D630 2.0 Intel Duo Core with 2 GB or ram DVD RW, 80 GB hard Drive and 128 MB video card with Windows XP Pro for about $1600 before tax and shipping. That includes the docking station (D-Port) and monitor stand.

Let me know if you want any other advice on configuration. If you really want Vista - go with the Ultimate version. It is the great and powerful Oz of Vista with ALL of the capabilities not just some.

• Administrator

We have used IBM / Lenovo Thinkpad notebooks at the office for years now. Along the way we have had a few Dell Latitudes show up but none of them have really been very acceptable in terms of longevity or durability. We've had hard drive and mainboard failures in all but one of them. The only Latitude that has lasted very long is a D620 that I'm using at this very moment... only because I'm waiting on a new Thinkpad to arrive.

If you can spare the change, get a Thinkpad. I really like the new T61 widescreens. You have to specify Windows XP unless you just want Vista, but my opinion of Vista is pretty low still and probably will be until I see how Microsoft's upcoming Service Pack 1 for it addresses some of the problems.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Guest GlocKingTN

I use a Dell XPS gaming PC for my desktop, and an Acer laptop. The Dell has Windows Media Center, and the laptop has Vista. I would rather have the Media Center over Vista any day. Or any XP for that matter! My desktop is amazingly and super fast, and the laptop is ok! Once I get all my software and such on the laptop, I will have to upgrade the memory Im sure. The laptop only has 512mb and thats just enough to run Vista, not to mention all the stuff I plan on adding. But other than the Vista, the laptop is a descent pc for the money. I spent the real money in the Dexktop, since thats where I spent most of my PC time anyway. I just got the laptop a few weeks ago, for travel and such. Thinking about getting another monitor and link them together on my desktop, if I can figure out how. Anyway, Im mumbling! My opinion, Dell is the sh*t as far as performance and speed, and excellent with gaming(although I dont play). But for a gaming PC, you better have a good bank roll. Well, it was expensive to me anyway.

Wow, that was quick...

I'm wanting to stay under $2k otd.

The Latitude config below sounds about right for me.

Tungsten, I have heard nothing but universal good things about Thinkpads, but the cost is higher, from what I know. I also get a Dell educational discount through work, taking about 5% of the dell.com prices.

As for Vista, I'd like to wait for SP1, but I think I'd rather give Vista a shot than go with XP again. Looks like we'll be moving to Vista at work once SP1 is out, and I'd like to stay w/same platform.

Of course, I have half a mind to chuck the whole thing and buy a Mac, but that would make too much sense... Same thing with a Linux box.

Thanks guys for the quick feedback. Am off to visit some websites to continue the research process.

We have used IBM / Lenovo Thinkpad notebooks at the office for years now. Along the way we have had a few Dell Latitudes show up but none of them have really been very acceptable in terms of longevity or durability. We've had hard drive and mainboard failures in all but one of them. The only Latitude that has lasted very long is a D620 that I'm using at this very moment... only because I'm waiting on a new Thinkpad to arrive.

If you can spare the change, get a Thinkpad. I really like the new T61 widescreens. You have to specify Windows XP unless you just want Vista, but my opinion of Vista is pretty low still and probably will be until I see how Microsoft's upcoming Service Pack 1 for it addresses some of the problems.

Just my $0.02 worth.

If agree with Tungsten 100 percent.

We have nearly 40 Thinkpads at work, half of which are 6+ years old.. they get used and abused but I am serious when I say we almost NEVER have to work on any of them. We also have a few new models like T60s and a T61 like Tungsten mentioned.. they are all stellar.

If I were going to buy a desktop replacement, IBM/Lenovo is what I'd buy.

Also, their docking stations have plenty of ports and are of high quality.

Guest c.a.s.

I can't say anything on what to buy, but I can give oyu a good idea of a place ot check out where.

www.newegg.com has some good deals on just about every electronic gadget you can think of. Also a great place to look at things to buy, if oyu can get a better deal on sometihng they have somewhere else.

Personally, I don't really care who makes it, the first thing I do when I get a new computer is reformat the hard drive and re-install the OS and applications that I want on it. I get sick and tired of all of the bonus software that computer manufacturers put on new computers that is trial ware. I know they get money from the software manufacturers but that doesn't mean I have to keep it.

• Administrator
Personally, I don't really care who makes it, the first thing I do when I get a new computer is reformat the hard drive and re-install the OS and applications that I want on it. I get sick and tired of all of the bonus software that computer manufacturers put on new computers that is trial ware. I know they get money from the software manufacturers but that doesn't mean I have to keep it.

Lenovo is usually really good about not putting crapware all over their laptops but the last T61 that arrived (with Vista... gag) had a bunch of software on it that I removed pretty quickly. I hope that doesn't become a trend with their new stuff especially considering how helpful the ThinkVantage restore feature is. :)

Len... you mentioned going Mac. I'm telling you, if Microsoft doesn't do something soon to make Vista a viable business OS and streamline the core components some more to make it perform better, I'm going to have half a mind to switch all of our people here to Mac.

I really like the new PowerBooks and the fact that MacOS is now *Nix based really makes me like them even more. And you'll still have the option of dual booting into Windows if you really want!

Apple would make an absolute killing if they would sell MacOS for use on non-Apple hardware now that they are supporting the Intel processors.

I have been a Mac guy since elementary school. I absolutely would recommend an iBook or my personal choice a MacBookPro. Vista is a thinly veiled rip off of OSX. 10 years ago compatability with the rest of the world was a problem but with OSX and the ipod's mad popularity the computing world is converging rapidly. Now if they could just get iPhone activation issues ironed out my stock would soar!

Well, it's time for a new computing machine. I'm looking for a "desktop replacement" laptop that allows for a docking station. It would be my desktop PC 90% of the time (with DSL, monitor, mouse, keyboard, printer and WiFI net hooked to the docking station), and I'll need to lug it around every now and then. Performance and docking-station compatibility is MORE important than small size/low weight.

Anyone have any opinions? I have a Dell desktop now that has been thoroughly mediocre.

Get a MacBook or MacBook Proof some flavor. Granted, I've never seen an Apple docking station/port replicator before, but a USB port replicator can be probably found that will do the job for a Mac. The support contract client I have who uses Macs exclusively at his office has called me exactly three times in the last two years to come fix a problem.

The learning curve for OSX isn't bad enough to worry about. I'm a Windows guy by training, and use it at home, but I can work with OSX well enough to support my clients.

And @ urse, Windows in any version is pretty much a ripoff of the same time period's version of MacOS.

The more I read about Vista, the more leery I become. Just yesterday I was installing the software driver for my new printer (HP Officejet 6310 All in One, it rocks) and noticed that it came with a different setup CD for Vista along with a big warning that things may not work as well or as the same as with XP.

For once I was happy about a new Windows release. I had gone to a conference in Charlotte last year where I sat in on a demo/intro of Vista and the new Office 2007. In the presentation, Vista was awesome. But the Microsoft guys didn't mention all the compatibility issues. I figured I'd hold out to SP 1 came along, but now I'm even leery of that. One of the reasons I bought a new printer was that XP hated the driver for the old printer (actually, I think it was a mutual disdain...) I do NOT want to go through all that again.

Thanks for all the comments. I have read every word and will let you all know what I end up doing. If I don't buy a gun or a big screen TV, the 'puter will be mine by month's end.

The more I read about Vista, the more leery I become.

I always run the latest OS as soon as it is out. I ran Vista for about two months and just last week switched back to XP Media Center.

Vista didn’t have any major problems for me, but it was just always something. SP1 may fix everything, if not it could possibly be the next Windows ME. :confused:

This has nothing to do with laptops, but I just bought a new desktop. It came down to Dell and gateway. Gateway has a new “configure-to-order†operation at laVergne. (These are not the “Best Buy†Gateways). I bought the Dell XPS-410 and have since wished I had given the gateway a shot. But I couldn’t find anyone that had one.

You cant go wrong with Dell. You can't go right, either. But you can't go wrong. You'll never be happy and there will always be some little issue, but work will get done. Have heard zip about the new Gateways, but they look cool. (compared to Dells, at least.)

I always run the latest OS as soon as it is out. I ran Vista for about two months and just last week switched back to XP Media Center.

Vista didn’t have any major problems for me, but it was just always something. SP1 may fix everything, if not it could possibly be the next Windows ME. :confused:

This has nothing to do with laptops, but I just bought a new desktop. It came down to Dell and gateway. Gateway has a new “configure-to-order†operation at laVergne. (These are not the “Best Buy†Gateways). I bought the Dell XPS-410 and have since wished I had given the gateway a shot. But I couldn’t find anyone that had one.

Vista didn’t have any major problems for me, but it was just always something. SP1 may fix everything, if not it could possibly be the next Windows ME. :D

Vista is the new Windows ME. Sales are running so low that Microsoft has developed an entire website dedicated to putting a better face on Vista so the industry will feel more confident in rolling it out now, instead of next year after Service Pack 1 is released. The last estimated release date I heard for Vista SP1 is 31 December 2007.

I won't upgrade to any new Microsoft operating system until the first Service Pack has been released for at least three months. By that time, most of the biggest issues are fixed, and I don't have headaches for weeks on end because Microsoft didn't feed the imported programming monkey's enough caffeine to sober them up after the plane ride.

I have been stuck using various IBM/Lenovo junk at the office for years. We have a saying around the office that IBM is twice the cost and half capability. We are finally get out of the bad deal we had with IBM (most because we can't buy machines made in China due to contract restrictions) and are buying some Dell's.

At home I have used HP, private party buildups and Dells. The Dells always came with less crap on them and they had fewer problems.

The biggest problem with the HP & IBM stuff used to be that all components are proprietary so you have to replace it with HP or IBM parts and those parts usually cost more than a whole new machine from another company. I believe both of those companies have moved to using many third party parts because the third parties make better stuff that last longer and are more compatible with the various software products that are available.