How accurate?

Guest Rem_700

Guest Rem_700

How accurate do you have to shoot when it comes to the shooting range part of the Handgun carry class?Reason I ask,is cause my groups start to open up at 15yds.Im working on getting them smaller,I just have never shot alot of handguns,so am kinda new at shooting them.But i am not unsafe with them,I take the utmost saftey when it comes to firearms.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jcochran88

When I took mine we had to hit the black on a man sized silhouette. Ever hit in the black counts. I would venture to say that if you have any shooting ability or practice a little you will be fine.

Guest coldblackwind

you have to hit the black on a man size target, I think you have to have 30 in the black? I don't know about all the classes, but we started at 2 yards, and moved progressively back to 15 to get you to notice the differences, the result was that probably at least 30 of the shots were 10 yards or less. Trust me, its not hard at all. Its what...6-8 times the size of that 8 inch shoot and see you referenced?

Guest Rem_700
What kind of gun are you shooting? Barrel length?

FN 5.7..i know that it should be alot more accurate than what im shooting.I never have been a big handgun shooter.BUt im off now to get some ammo and do some more practice.All of my shots would have been on a half man size targer no problem,I just want to be more accurate.I got some tips from another forum im on,im gonna try them later today or tomorrow.

Guest Ctucciar

Shooting portion is very easy (33 in the black to pass). my instructor was adamant that we try not to group b/c they have to count distinct holes so if you punch out the x at center mass technically they can only count that as one.

Shooting portion is very easy (33 in the black to pass). my instructor was adamant that we try not to group b/c they have to count distinct holes so if you punch out the x at center mass technically they can only count that as one.

Give me a break.:screwy::rolleyes::drama:

At 3 -7 yds. you almost have to try to not punch one ragged hole.

Did he really think you might miss the entire target at that range?

Edited by bvarnell

Yes...I have seen this also. Does not make sense at all.

With respect to the difficulty of the test...you could easily score 100% using spitballs and a straw.

When our instructor looked at my target he said “I don’t know if I can pass you, I can’t count the holes in your targetâ€.

Of course he was kidding, I would guess yours was also. :screwy:

Guest DylisTN

One old lady with a tiny little DAO revolver, didn't do all that well. She got a rental and passed. If your drunk and blindfolded, you might have a problem.

I've heard it is quite easy to pass the shooting portion of the TN handgun carry permit class. Teachers do not seem to require two and one handed shooting, or show that you can safely holster a handgun. You should have no problems if you just have to hit a man sized target at max 15 yards and anywhere in the black counts.

I've seen an individual requalify (AR concealed handgun license requirement) in North Little Rock and he had to shoot two handed, right, and left handed, slow and rapid fire.

I had to qualify in AR with a semi automatic to carry a semi automatic or revolver. If I only qualified with a revolver, then I could not carry a semi automatic If what you qualify with does not matter, then shoot whatever you shoot best with....even if that is a target 22LR handgun.

I would NOT worry. When I took the class in January at Range USA, a guy in my firing line shot the cable that pulls the target hanger assembly, and completely destroyed it. They had to get everyone to place their guns on the table and step out of the booths so they could move his target by hand down the range... He still passed.

The max range we went out to was 15 meters, not yards I don't think. (Said "15 m" on the displays IIRC)