Coyotes in Knoxville

Alright, strange thing, a friend of mine called tonight with this one. Apparently one of her friends saw a pack of around 10 coyotes in her yard two weeks ago. She lives in a subdivision inside the Knoxville city limits, in the East Town area, with her ~2 year old daughter and a couple of dogs. Since I hunt coyotes from time to time, they asked me how to get rid of the coyotes. Since they're inside the city limits, and in Knoxville, I don't know what to tell them thought. Anyone in the area have some ideas? The homeowner apparently called KPD to ask them what to do, but KPD said they couldn't do anything about it.

I asked my friend to check and see if they were even still in the area, since I've personally never heard of a pack of coyotes that large lingering in a built up area very long. But even so, anyone have an idea on how to deal with that many coyotes inside the Knoxville city limits without getting arrested for violating some city ordinance about discharging a firearm at the least?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... But even so, anyone have an idea on how to deal with that many coyotes inside the Knoxville city limits without getting arrested for violating some city ordinance about discharging a firearm at the least?

Perhaps good sport for some local bow hunters, if you can find them.

- OS

there is still a lot of wooded and semi rural land in the east town area. What wild life there is gets squeezed by the new subdivisions. The coyotes need somewhere to live too. So there is the catch.

I can't remember ever seeing a story on the news of in the News Sentinel about coyotes attacking pets or kids. I doubt she has anything to worry about.

In fairer weather we hear coyotes all the time around here. I have had them drinking out of the water feature off the front porch. Of course I can take pot shots at them if I want too. I have over heard local ranchers in a store complain about them though.

there is still a lot of wooded and semi rural land in the east town area. What wild life there is gets squeezed by the new subdivisions. The coyotes need somewhere to live too. So there is the catch.

I can't remember ever seeing a story on the news of in the News Sentinel about coyotes attacking pets or kids. I doubt she has anything to worry about.

In fairer weather we hear coyotes all the time around here. I have had them drinking out of the water feature off the front porch. Of course I can take pot shots at them if I want too. I have over heard local ranchers in a store complain about them though.

we've had lots of small house cats and dogs go missing due to coyotes in the last year around here...one instance not far from my house was when the young daughter was on the porch with the dog when the coyote nabbed it. hunting pressure on them has increased though, and sightings are fewer and further apart now. i've done my share at picking a few of them off...

• 2 weeks later...

I was told by twra on the phone that if a coyote is in city limits you can shoot it with any legal firearm during daylight. They are becoming that big of a nusiance. you MUST be sure you are not shooting recklessly/dangerously and not just going rambo but if she is scared or it is problematic to her on her OWN property she can shoot them. call the twra if you are questioning me. the police may come but tennessee's state atorney general will back you up.