Rattlers in the Smokies...

Guest SUNTZU

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

did a little research years ago on the "blue racer" seems like if one is between the snake and its den it doesnt seem to care it is going to the den come hell or high water. had it happen to me when i was a lot younger. chased about 15 ft then did a ninety and disappeared in a hole

Just as real as them blue racers that chase you.

- OS

I was talking about the picture. Not the type of snake. I am NOT a snake person so I really don't know what is out there and have no desire to try and find out.

I was talking about the picture. Not the type of snake. I am NOT a snake person so I really don't know what is out there and have no desire to try and find out.

The picture, "hoopsnakes", "blue racers chasing you", are all myths.

Matter of fact, we don't even have Blue Racers in the south.

We have one or more other varieties of Eastern Racers.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • 1 month later...
Guest 22-rimfire

I'ver never seen a rattlesnake in the Smokey Mt NP. I have seen copperheads. Have not spent a lot of time in the Blue Ridge mountains in general other than driving. I would expect that there is a population of rattlesnakes and copperheads in the Smokes in the lower altitudes. The SE US is the big time habitat for timber rattlers. Seen many rattlesnakes over the years in the mountains. Some days I'd see several. Never been bit and I don't kill them unless one bites me. I have had them strike at me and miss a few times. That will certainly give you the willies if you hadn't seen the snake beforehand. Overall, they are quite a pretty snake.

Edited by 22-rimfire
Guest SUNTZU
I'ver never seen a rattlesnake in the Smokey Mt NP. I have seen copperheads. Have not spent a lot of time in the Blue Ridge mountains in general other than driving. I would expect that there is a population of rattlesnakes and copperheads in the Smokes in the lower altitudes. The SE US is the big time habitat for timber rattlers. Seen many rattlesnakes over the years in the mountains. Some days I'd see several. Never been bit and I don't kill them unless one bites me. I have had them strike at me and miss a few times. That will certainly give you the willies if you hadn't seen the snake beforehand. Overall, they are quite a pretty snake.

How many have you killed? Or, how many times have you been bitten by a rattlesnake? shock.jpg

Guest 22-rimfire

I'd kill them purely for identifiction purposes for the doctor if bitten. It does sound kind of funny. Never been bitten. I have probably seen several hundred out in the woods over the years when I'm not looking for them. Spent a lot of time in South Texas and it was not uncommon to see 10 on a given day on the ranches or along the roads.

I killed them when I was working in Texas. I ceased that activity as I saw no reason for it. The only snake in the US that I will kill on sight is a water moccasin (cottonmouth) outside of parks of course :koolaid:. I hate those things and they will bite you just because you happen to be in their locale. They sometimes crawl over to you just to "take a look". Ugh.

... The only snake in the US that I will kill on sight is a water moccasin (cottonmouth) outside of parks of course :koolaid:. I hate those things and they will bite you just because you happen to be in their locale. They sometimes crawl over to you just to "take a look". Ugh.

See many down around 'nooga, do ya?

- OS

Guest 22-rimfire

Nope. How about you?

My understanding is that there are no cotton mouths in the Tennessee River watershed. You have to shift a bit south to find them.

Edited by 22-rimfire
Nope. How about you?

My understanding is that there are no cotton mouths in the Tennessee River watershed. You have to shift a bit south to find them.

Righto, just checking.

Several of our members seem to see them everywhere. Next to the pink elephants. :-)

- OS

Righto, just checking.

Several of our members seem to see them everywhere. Next to the pink elephants. :-)

- OS

Although it's been years, I've seen MANY water moccasins in West Tennessee. When I worked at Pickwick Lake in high school, I saw hundreds of them on the banks of the Tombigbee Waterway during mating season (generally balled up together). The Associate Professor of wildlife Management at UT seems to think there are water moccasins in Tennessee, as well.:)

http://fwf.ag.utk.edu/personnel/harper/snakebite.pdf

Although it's been years, I've seen MANY water moccasins in West Tennessee. ...

Yes, of course there are cottonmouths in West Tennessee.

I'd be surprised if there were many, especially in the concentrations you mention, as far east as the northern run of the TN river, but if you say so.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Yes, of course there are cottonmouths in West Tennessee.

I'd be surprised if there were many, especially in the concentrations you mention, as far east as the northern run of the TN river, but if you say so.

- OS

Didn't say anything about East Tennessee, but the last time I checked, West Tennessee, particularly Pickwick Lake, was in the Tennessee watershed. Just thought you were talking about Tennessee generally, not just East Tennessee. But, I'd be very happy if there weren't any in Tennessee at all. :) I hate those things.

One and only time I ever ran into a rattler was up at Frozenhead State Park. A buddy and I were up there backpacking and came a cross one within a hundred yards of our next camping site. He was curled up on the trail and gave us about 10 yards of warning. He looked to be about 4 or 5 feet long. We stopped and waited for him to move on off the trail. I guess it took about 10 or so minutes. Seemed like and hour. But we decided we weren't going around him cause the trail was in the middle of a Trillium Patch and we couldn't see the ground under all the Trillium. I wouldn't have killed him. The way I looked at it was I was on HIS land not mine. :)

Needless to say we did not camp at that spot. But went further up the trail.

Didn't say anything about East Tennessee, but the last time I checked, West Tennessee, particularly Pickwick Lake, was in the Tennessee watershed. ....

I shouldn't have said "righto" in response to 22-rimfire.

Was really just meaning East TN run of the TN river, where he is...

I'm used to many folks in east and middle TN claiming to see cottonmouths all the time and thought that was going to be another instance to debunk. :)

- OS

One and only time I ever ran into a rattler ... was curled up on the trail and gave us about 10 yards of warning. ..

Ya know, I've probably seen more rattlers than copperheads in my life, even though they say copperheads are much more prevalent.

And I've seen most all of them just like how you describe, right out in the open, curled or just stretched out, sunning or whatever, on trails, on flat rocky areas, on top of roofing tiles and other junk. They seem to like to do that, where copperheads seem to prefer to stay hidden.

I guess they know they're bad ass mothers, and flaunt it. :)

- OS

Guest 22-rimfire

I'm used to many folks in east and middle TN claiming to see cottonmouths all the time and thought that was going to be another instance to debunk. :)

- OS

This is not something anyone needs to debunk. Most see large water snakes and believe them to be cottonmouths. I'm always interested in hearing new things or improving on my limited experience base. If I say it, I believe it to be so. :tinfoil:

I'm used to many folks in east and middle TN claiming to see cottonmouths all the time and thought that was going to be another instance to debunk. :hat:

- OS

Good enough. I grew up in West TN and frequented places where they were located. I've only seen one snake since moving to Middle Tennessee 9 years ago, and that was some type of garter snake. So, I know nothing about them east of Pickwick!