First Handgun opinion

Slasher

Hey all,

I am new here and to firearms in general. I have signed up for a firearms safety class soon and want to get my first handgun. I was leaning towards a SA XDm 40 or a SW M&P40, specifically the XDm because I went out to handle some the other day and I liked the way that one felt. I have a buddy in the army that I talked to last night, a lifelong gun person, and he said that there is nothing better than a Glock and I really need to check one out. i am not opposed to that but being a noob with guns I like that the XDm has a couple of different safeties. I think I would be very careful with them but it would probably make me feel better to have that extra protection.

What do you think? Are there any other guns I should check out while i am looking. i am looking to spend around $600 and want to get something good for my money.

Thanks for any help.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, I'm an XD (mainly XD40) fan. It's been the perfect carry piece for me. Now, that doesn't mean it will fit you the same. It's all about what YOU are comfortable with. What fits YOU the best.

Glock and M&P are fine choices, but only if they fit YOU. I would suggest finding a range that rents firearms. That way you'll get a real feel for how YOU and the firearm work together. Then decide which is best.

Happy hunting.

It's true: there's nothing better than a GLOCK.

Oh please, Ye drinker of the Koolaid :D As to the OP I think TDR makes alot of good points also try to shoot some of the pistols metioned. Maybe your friends own a certain type and could let you shoot them to see which one you are most comfortable with and fits your hands.

Guest Rccola

My honest opinion is to try and shoot both them, sure try a glock if'n you like but I would try and shoot the guns that feel good in your hand. but at the end of the day you honestly can't go wrong with either of these guns. It all comes down to what is comfortable for you.

Guest pl1ght

Yep, as a recent purchaser of a first handgun as well, i definitely can agree with the sentiments to try everything. My long list of handguns i 'wanted', shortened very quickly when i went out and actually had the opportunity to feel and try multiple handguns. I really liked shooting the XDM 9mm and XD 45acp, and the glock 23. It came down to the XDM grip being too long for my tastes and the glock23 being a bit cheaper in the end. So i went with it. Definitely try everything out.

• Administrator

Rent, borrow, shoot as many as you can before you decide. Firearms are like cars; everyone has their preference and everyone believes that their preference is the best one out there and that everyone else is delusional.

The best one for you is the one that you shoot accurately, is comfortable in your hand, and that you'll carry every day. If a firearm doesn't meet all three criteria, keep on searching. Don't buy until you can answer to the affirmative to all three.

Guest mikedwood

Get what you want and shoot well, but....

I think a G19 is a great starter gun. Why?

Cause you can't go into a gunstore and not find mags and holsters for it on the shelf. Nothing is more irritating than running all over two towns for a holster only to wind up ordering off the internet and waiting a week when it's your only firearm.

9mm is the cheapest standard handgun round. Great for practice and adequate for carry.

That's the only reason I say start with a Glock 19. Easy to get set up with. After that get anything else you want, any caliber.

Or whatever advise these guys give out. It's usually pretty good. The G19 is just what I did myself and it's worked pretty well.

Guest HVAC Worker

Oh yes they have rentals(RangeUSA)and great folks to boot.I just got back from there 30 minutes ago or so and they had a full store.PM me if you intrested in shooting a Kahr 45,I am at the range quite often or until it gets hot.

Guest hickok

By all means, try to rent some of these guns and try them out. I'm biased towards the small Glocks, but invest in some ammo and time and get the gun you know is right for you. You'll want additional guns later either way (Like all of us), but that way you know you'll get something that's pretty good for you.

Thanks everyone. It looks like RangeUSA has all three guns that I am thinking about so I will go out there in the next week or so and try all three to see which fits me the best.

Thanks again for all of the help and advice.