Opinions/experience wanted

Guest BigBoostDSM

Guest Boomhower
I wasn't aware you couldn't do it at the same time. The number you call to find a spot will give you a place that does the electronic printing, correct? I just want to make sure I do the prints that way so that I can get the permit as quickly as possible.

Correct....It's a 2 step process. (I believe I'm correct in saying this) They have 90 days to get the permit back to you, "from the time they recieve everything", and 10 days to notify you in writing if you are denied. So doing the prints electonically should yeild a faster result, but the overall wait still suxs...:cool:

Good luck with the class, and CCA!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BigBoostDSM
Correct....It's a 2 step process. (I believe I'm correct in saying this) They have 90 days to get the permit back to you, "from the time they recieve everything", and 10 days to notify you in writing if you are denied. So doing the prints electonically should yeild a faster result, but the overall wait still suxs...:cool:

Good luck with the class, and CCA!

Thanks! I'm pretty excited to take the class, it will definetly be the starting point of my training. I think my girlfriends stepfather and I are going to take one of the tactical response courses together sometime next year.

I'll keep updating my process as I go, since I know I'm going to be too excited to keep it to myself anyways :)

You can't do the fingerprinting at the same time. You have to do that a day or two afterwards.

This is incorrect. I filed paperwork and was printed within about 35 minutes.

When you call in your info to the number the DOS supplies, like Boom said they will give you a location to print at. I was also told by these people that I need not wait, that I could go on right now and get printed I wanted to.

Guest BigBoostDSM

When you call in your info to the number the DOS supplies, like Boom said they will give you a location to print at. I was also told by these people that I need not wait, that I could go on right now and get printed I wanted to.

But it has to be done at a seperate location? The guy at the gun shop made it seem like if I went to the center park location then I could get it all done there in one shot. Does anyone know if this is correct?

DMV does not fingerprint. You will get a sheet of paper with info about printing -basically a phone # to call. You call, they ask where you live, and they give you the nearest location to do printing. Mine happened to be at the local DCS office right down the street. It was electronic and fast. There is no rule/law that says you have to wait x amount of time between showing up at DMV and getting printed.

But it has to be done at a seperate location? The guy at the gun shop made it seem like if I went to the center park location then I could get it all done there in one shot. Does anyone know if this is correct?
Guest BigBoostDSM

Are all of the locations that they give you electronic? Or can I go to a location that is different from the one they tell me if the one they tell me is not electronic?

Guest Phantom6
Are all of the locations that they give you electronic? Or can I go to a location that is different from the one they tell me if the one they tell me is not electronic?

All printing of your digits is done digitally. :D It is done by a contractor that the state has hired to do the job. Getting in to get your prints done on the same day you show up at the driver license station with your $115.00, certified copy of your birth certificate, safety class class completion certificate and your driver's license or passport, or history number is NOT common in the state's way of doing things.

Guest Boomhower

There is no rule/law that says you have to wait x amount of time between showing up at DMV and getting printed.

That's odd. They told me to be sure to wait at least 24hrs before I went to get printed....I guess different strokes for different folks.

Either way BigBoost, from what I've seen on here and other places regarding people getting there permits back...The state seems to do them in batches. Some people will wait 4 weeks and some will wait 6 weeks depending on when you sent it off, but they all seem to get them back in the mail within a few days of each other. That's what makes me think they run them in batches.

Guest BigBoostDSM

Either way BigBoost, from what I've seen on here and other places regarding people getting there permits back...The state seems to do them in batches. Some people will wait 4 weeks and some will wait 6 weeks depending on when you sent it off, but they all seem to get them back in the mail within a few days of each other. That's what makes me think they run them in batches.

That makes sense. Hopefully I get into the part of the "batch" where it's 4 weeks :D I'm already all giddy with anticipation, I don't like waiting.

I'm already all giddy with anticipation, I don't like waiting.

Careful what you say, some prosecuter gets ahold of your PC after you have an incident of self defense and they will twist it to mean you could not wait to shoot someone. I am only half kidding here so you know.

I was also wondering why they would do shooting at such long ranges for the carry class, since I don't ever plan (not saying it won't happen) to shoot at that far of a distance with my handgun. Most of my practicing is from 3-15 yards and I generally shoot all my shots within the 8 ring.

Again, thanks for the insight.

Shooting at further distances teaches better sight alignment and trigger control.

However, one of the students at the range where I work was involved in a "long range" shooting. He had to shoot to protect his children at about 30 yards. He was across the street when someone tried to attack his child (with a knife, IIRC). BUT, it's statistically rare.

But, (as others have said) based on what you said, you should have no problem at 25 yards if you have 2-3 inch groups at 15 yards.

Originally Posted by Marswolf

A class that stressed the fundamentals of shooting would be of no interest to me. Waste of time and money.

That is what I wanted to post but I figured the training peeps would jump all over me.

Glad to be of service. :D

Guest BigBoostDSM
Careful what you say, some prosecuter gets ahold of your PC after you have an incident of self defense and they will twist it to mean you could not wait to shoot someone. I am only half kidding here so you know.

Yea, I've heard some horror stories like that.

Boom, I dunno why you had to wait to fingerprint. Maybe that has changed since you did it and when I did, dunno?

I am also suprised your HCP class was of such short duration. It may have been nice to be done and home early but you got shortchanged in class instruction. I bet my class time was easily 6 hours of instruction and discussion. The shooting was done in two relays and between the two it took another 2 or 3 hours. One group tested while the other shot then we switched places. I did not mind the all day affair of class though. It was very informative.

Did you frame your certificate?

Also has anyone bought one of the HCP badges I have seen sold around here?