Opinions/experience wanted

Guest BigBoostDSM

Guest BigBoostDSM

Hey guys, I am new to TN and I plan on taking my carry class in the next couple of weeks. I'm in Knoxville, I plan on taking the class at the gun shop in Turkey Creek (Not sure of the name of it). The pricing is 75 dollars if I remember correctly.

I'm a pretty decent shot (2-3" groups at 15 yards). I read over the shooting part of the class and it got me worried. I'm not the greatest shot at long range (25 yards is what the site said). I mean, I hit the paper and the silhouette the majority of the time, but my groupings are pretty awful at that distance.

So first off, has anyone taken the class at the turkey creek shop (Or know the name of it). I'd also like to hear where else anyone has taken the class at, I'm not commited to taking the class there that's just where I've seen the greatest price (that really doesn't bother me either, I'm willing to spend more for a better class). If you've got any recommendations please let me know.

Second, any tips for the shooting part of the class? I plan to hit the range a few times before I go, but I'm still pretty nervous about the long range shooting. Any tips, pointers, experience, etc. would be very much appreciated.

Oh, and I love living in a free state! I came here from IL so having rights is nice :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The shooting portion of the class is a piece of cake. If you can shoot 3" groups at 15 yards, you'll have no problem. The price for the class is about right and it's pretty basic, as most classes conform to the state's requirements. You'll hear the legal aspects of carrying, basic safety, watch the movie that the state supplies, and get a general basic handgun information session. I wouldn't worry a bit about taking it.

You can take it in Athens, it's 60.00 and you shoot 50 rounds 10 rounds at 5 different distances. I'm not sure of the scheduling for the Knoxville class but here they have them Sat morn 9 to 1 and it's right at the range so no traveling once you get to the class. I have been through their class twice (once for me and I attended when my wife when through it). PM me if you want the contact number.

2"-3" groups at 15yd isn't bad... Doubling the distance will still result in consistent hits inside the 8-ring, assuming the same hold, sight-picture, and trigger control.

In all seriousness... if you're practicing for self-defense, getting 2"-3" groups is an indication that you should try shooting more rapidly. But, if you're shooting for precision, take your time and relax.

When I'm really practicing, I'm pretty satisfied with 6"-8" COM 'groups' at 15yd... starting from a low-ready or holstered, transitioning to rapid-fire or double-taps. When the groups get smaller, I try speeding up. Anybody can learn to shoot the center out of the bulls-eye in time... But that skill is less important when faced with real-world rapidly-incoming threats.

The object, in the HCP class, is to keep your shots inside the 7-ring at varying ranges... From what you describe, I doubt you'll have any trouble shooting an above-average score. Just concentrate on:

- Sight alignment

- Aiming for the smallest portion of the 'target' you can focus on simultaneously with the front sight

- Even, smooth, trigger pressure... straight rearward.

Most of your shooting will be at ranges closer than 15yd... even during the HCP class.

Best of luck!

Guest BigBoostDSM

Thanks for the insight guys. From what I had read on the site it said 24 shots at 25 yards and you have to sore 70% in the 9 circle on a standard silhouette.

Their classes run saturdays, I think it said 11-7 but I could be mistaken. The shop that the class is at also has an indoor range, so no traveling afterwards. I live about a mile away from the outdoor range on rifle range road so I'll probably head out that way a few times before I head to the class. I've never shot at an outdoor range, so I'm really excited for that.

dralarms you'll have a PM in a moment.

Guest BigBoostDSM

Molonlabetn -

I was never able to shoot as fast as I wanted, since my local range in IL didn't allow you to rapid fire (their definition was more than one shot in 2 seconds) so I haven't had practice with that as of yet.

I was also wondering why they would do shooting at such long ranges for the carry class, since I don't ever plan (not saying it won't happen) to shoot at that far of a distance with my handgun. Most of my practicing is from 3-15 yards and I generally shoot all my shots within the 8 ring.

Again, thanks for the insight.

Guest BigBoostDSM
you sure they didn't mean 25 feet?

It was late, maybe I read it wrong :D

Problem is, I can't find the link to the range anymore to double check.

Guest BigBoostDSM

Doing a little more reading and taking a look at quite a few other classes and their corresponding sites, I have come to the conclusion that 25 yards has to be incorrect. Most of the ones that I have found do shooting from 3, 7, and 15 yards.

From my experience, if you can't pass the range part of the exam you probably don't need to be carrying a gun.

The last guy I heard about literally had terrible palsy and couldn't hold a cup of coffee without it spilling. He did well enough on the nearer shots that when he got out to 25 ft he would have passed if he had shot the gun up in the air.

Don't sweat it. You'll do fine. I dont think I've actually heard of someone failing.

Absolutely, the shooting part is a joke. I think you just have to hit the silhouette. We had a lady who had never shot who came with her husband. She passed just fine. All of the questions on the written test will be covered in class.

I'm not sure why there is such a wide disparity about how many shots you fire and distances. All I remember was that we had 50 or fewer rounds, the shooting distances were a joke and the class only cost $50, all of which went to the local gun club.

You won't learn to shoot in such a class, but you will be able to carry a gun. And you will learn enough about Tennessee code to hopefully make you want to read the finer points of the law later on.

I'm a pretty decent shot (2-3" groups at 15 yards). I read over the shooting part of the class and it got me worried. I'm not the greatest shot at long range (25 yards is what the site said). I mean, I hit the paper and the silhouette the majority of the time, but my groupings are pretty awful at that distance.

You're a better shot than I am and I had absolutely no trouble with the shooting portion of the class. The shooting distances are 3, 7, and 15 yards, which translates to 9, 21 and 45 feet. I took the class about 2 months ago in Greenbriar, TN. Once I submitted my paperwork and fingerprints it took about a month or so for my permit to arrive in the mail.

Oh, and I love living in a free state! I came here from IL so having rights is nice :D
I too am a transplant from IL. Been here about 10 years now and love it. :D Illinois is death on guns (pun intended), but hopefully one day that will change.

In the class I took, nearly 5 years ago, the instructor had us fire 6rd one-handed, with the strong hand, then with the weak hand, and then with a two-handed grip, at 3yd and 7yd. The last 12rd were two-handed at 15yd.

I too, have never heard of anyone failing the shooting test.

Oh, and I love living in a free state! I came here from IL so having rights is nice :shrug:

I too am a transplant from IL. Been here about 10 years now and love it. :eek: Illinois is death on guns (pun intended), but hopefully one day that will change.

Another Illinois transplant. 9 years for me.

(TGOFIA) Tennessee Gun Owners From Illinois Association.

leaving.gif

Guest ETS_Inc

I've had students fail the shooting portion. We give them a second chance to qualify, before we tell them to practice on their own and come back another day. I've only seen one or two not be able to qualify on the second try. (Of course, we also hand them a Ruger MkIII for their second attempt.) I've even had a student who was legally blind, and he passed the class. Barely, but he passed.

We shoot 50 rounds, 12 @ 3 yds, 12 @ 7 yds., and 26 @ 15 yds. The State requires 48 rounds. We do 50 for two reasons: 1) it's easier to do 70% of 50 than 70% of 48, and 2) there are 50 rounds in a standard box of ammo. I can only think of one reason the State requires 48 rounds, they must think most people would use 6-shot revolvers, making for 8 loads, as opposed to 8 loads, and a 2-round reload.

Guest BigBoostDSM

Ok, I went ahead and took a drive over to the area that I was told the range was at. I finally found it after looking at a couple of different areas. The range is called Coal Creek Armory, it's off Lovell road in Knoxville.

I talked to one of the fellows in there for about 15 minutes, he was extremely helpful and friendly. The information that I found online was completely off and I am glad I stopped in there to check.

The guy said that the class is 8 hours, 11-7 they run it every saturday. The class size is limited to 20 students. The written test is completely covered in class and they go over the answers as you go but don't give you the answer (not sure how that works :eek:)

The range time is what I really needed to clarify (as you all know). They do it like this: 3, 7, 15 yards. 12 shots at 3 yards, 12 shots at 7 yards, 12 shots at 15, then back to 7 and do 12 rapid fire shots strong hand. They use the large silhouette (it's like 2'x3') and you have to hit 75% within the 8 ring on the target. I took a look at the target and it looks like the 8 ring is about the size of an 8.5"x11" piece of paper. So I think I'll be fine. I'm used to shooting the smaller rifle silhouettes (1'x2'). I went ahead and signed up so I'll be there on the 21st taking the class :shrug:

I went in with my girlfriend and found out that Tuesday is ladies day and women shoot free and the guys with them shoot half off. So 7.50 for a day of shooting plus ammo. I'll probably go both Tuesdays before the class to get some extra practice in.

I'm pretty excited, thanks for all your insight you guys!!

Guest BigBoostDSM

Thanks :shrug: I feel I'm a pretty good shot, but I know I can always improve.

One last question...How are the DMV's down here? Specifically the one on Center Park? Back in IL the DMV's are a MESS every day. I'm thinking about going there tomorrow to get my DL changed to TN. I take it they issue the DL immediately. A bit off topic, but anyone know what it takes to change over? Just surrender my IL one and get a TN one?

Phantom6 is also an instructor. He is in Oak Ridge. Here's the website if your interested in other options http://firearmsclasses.com/basic_pistol.htm. He not only teaches the HCP, but an NRA basic pistol class all at the same time. I wish I had found him before I took my HCP class.

I took my class from Phantom and I can say it was one of the best choices I have ever made. Totally worth the extra drive time to oak ridge.

Guest BigBoostDSM
Don't go near lunch time, and don't go at all on Friday, also they're closed on Monday so don't go then.

Good to know, I was planning on going tomorrow!

I'll wait it out until Tuesday when my girlfriends out of summer school (she has to get her license changed as well).