Newbie...who doesn't want to act like a newbie.

Guest <3_2B_in_TN

Guest <3_2B_in_TN

Hello. Just registered today and this is my first post. With any luck, i'll be welcomed and it won't be my last. :dropjaw:

I just bought some land near Pulaski, and my friendly neighbors have told me about a pack of wild dogs in the area. The neighbor to the east just lost 7 sheep/goats and one of his Great Pyrenees dogs. Another lady told me to keep my dogs close to home, because if the wild dogs don't get them, her husband's likely to shoot them. One elderly gentleman told me that if I didn't have a gun, I ought to get one soon.

I'm not opposed to the idea, especially if it will keep my pets and livestock safe. I sure would like some suggestions as to what i should get:

* No kids around, so i'm not concerned about who might get into them.

* Something that's easy to carry with me (no gun is useful if it's home in a locked case)

* something not expensive or showy, just works well.

* good enough to shoot a dog, raccoon, possum, or other pests

any advice would be gratefully accepted.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Hyaloid

IMHO, Shotguns are the most versatile 'field' weapons around, and a good choice for starters. They are cheap, flexible, reliable and readily available.

If you are looking pistols, I'd consider for your first choice a .357 revolver (can also shoot .38s) or a good reputable 9MM.

Just off the cuff...

Guest <3_2B_in_TN

Thanks for the quick reply, Hyaloid.

I'd be more likely to actually carry the handgun and keep a shotgun at the house.

If I had to get only one, it would probably be a shotgun, but I don't see any harm in getting both.

Do you think maybe that having both is overkill?

(ha ha no pun intended)

Guest canynracer

You can also look into a 223 for the varmits...for handgun carry, your budget will set the standard for your needs.

a good 357/38 revolver (as Hyaloid suggested) would be good as well...as far as semi auto, that opinion will vary, but the only one that matters is yours...what feels good to you, ect.

Guest dkirby

Do you think maybe that having both is overkill?

What is this overkill you speak of?

A good pump shotgun, handgun, and a rifle would be my recommendation. Obviously, you don't need them all today, but do some research and see what fits your needs.

Fair warning though, one gun quickly turns into two, then three, then twelve...

Hello. Just registered today and this is my first post. With any luck' date=' i'll be welcomed and it won't be my last. :wave:

I just bought some land near Pulaski, and my friendly neighbors have told me about a pack of wild dogs in the area. The neighbor to the east just lost 7 sheep/goats and one of his Great Pyrenees dogs. Another lady told me to keep my dogs close to home, because if the wild dogs don't get them, her husband's likely to shoot them. One elderly gentleman told me that if I didn't have a gun, I ought to get one soon.

I'm not opposed to the idea, especially if it will keep my pets and livestock safe. I sure would like some suggestions as to what i should get:

* Something that's easy to carry with me (no gun is useful if it's home in a locked case)

any advice would be gratefully accepted.[/quote']

There are other ways to get rid of dogs besides shooting them(no Im not talking poison either). To humanely cull a dog, you need to be directly behind him and a well placed shot to the base of the skull. Dogs should not be shot at with shotguns or pistols from long range...I cant even believe that you or anyone on this board would publicly voice that method either....

Guest justme
Hello. Just registered today and this is my first post. With any luck' date=' i'll be welcomed and it won't be my last. :rolleyes:

If you want a firearm for self-defense, you should consider exactly what your needs are. Are you wanting something like a handgun for personal defense, or are you looking for something in close protection such as a semi-auto like an FN FS2000, or an AK? Second, look at the terrain you are wanting to use it in--are you talking about something for around the house--if so, then you don't want something with a long barrel that will be difficult to navigate hallways and clear/maneuver through rooms with. A good tactical shotgun is good for room clearing in the event your home is invaded during the night, and navigating hallways with, and are a good back up for around the house, although personally I would rather have something like an AK, or something along those lines instead. Finally you have to consider cost--exactly how much are you considering paying for a firearm? Consider why you want it, where you are most likely to need/use it, and how much you are willing to spend.

Now about the dogs. First, when you speak of "wild dogs" are you speaking of dogs which used to be pets and have since gone wild because they were lost, stolen, or just simply dumped out? OR are you speaking of something like a coyote/wolf that is simply wild by nature?

You don't necessarily have to shoot the dogs, or poison them. There are other options to this than simply killing them. Why is it that the first reaction that people have to wild dogs, or troublesome dogs/cats is to simply kill them? Too many people have a shoot first attitude--because what the hey, they are only animals...

Edited by justme
Guest bkelm18
There are other ways to get rid of dogs besides shooting them(no Im not talking poison either). To humanely cull a dog, you need to be directly behind him and a well placed shot to the base of the skull. Dogs should not be shot at with shotguns or pistols from long range...I cant even believe that you or anyone on this board would publicly voice that method either....

If a dog is attacking me, I'm not going to dilly dally and play hide and seek with the base of the dog's skull. I'm going to aim at the dog, and keep pulling the trigger until it stops moving.

As for the OP, a good pump shotgun and a good handgun I think is a good base for self defense. 12 or 20 ga shotgun would be fine. A .357Mag/.38Special revolver or a 9mm handgun would be a great start was well.

Guest justme
If a dog is attacking me, I'm not going to dilly dally and play hide and seek with the base of the dog's skull. I'm going to aim at the dog, and keep pulling the trigger until it stops moving.

As for the OP, a good pump shotgun and a good handgun I think is a good base for self defense. 12 or 20 ga shotgun would be fine. A .357Mag/.38Special revolver or a 9mm handgun would be a great start was well.

an attacking dog is one thing--but just killing them to kill them instead of trying to find an alternative is something I find highly detestable.

Guest bkelm18
an attacking dog is one thing--but just killing them to kill them instead of trying to find an alternative is something I find highly detestable.

I agree to a point. If they are just being a nuisance then yeah, alternatives are fine. But if they start killing my pets and or livestock, they gotta go. One way or another.

exactly...

Guest Mugster
Hello. Just registered today and this is my first post. With any luck' date=' i'll be welcomed and it won't be my last. :rolleyes:

Outside of close encounters of the weird kind inside city limits, a handgun is nearly worthless as a hunting tool. While some do hunt and make kills with a handgun, in some ways it is exponentially more difficult than with a rifle or shotgun. Stick with a rifle or a shotgun, is my advice, and take a hunters safety course.

Guest Mugster
The Judge

taurusjudge.jpg

And a stationary dog at 100 yards, munching on a goat leg, will be perfectly safe with you shooting a judge at it. Mugster, 1-1.

Guest Rando

OK so how much land do you have? how close are any house's? is it level or rolling hills? I have to agree on a Judge as a compromise,my uncle has one and if you get the three inch magnum job it has some serious bang. I would say a rifle would be better if you think you will have longer shots so a carbine or shorter rifle might be a good bet. The judge or a shotgun with 00 buck would do a mess of damage at better distance than a regular shot shell but it will be a big spread and again where are your neighbors or other innocents.

good luck with it

Guest Astra900

Love the avatar!!!!!! Reminds me of my early teens. I rode many a mile on a set of bullet 66's, slime balls, vomits, and I even had a set of New Deal Nude Eels.

Now I'm too old so I took up a safer hobby, I play with guns!:x:

Once dogs start killing or aggressively biting for that matter, they have to go. There are no alternatives once they go wild in an urban environment.

As far as guns. A good handgun, probably a nine for capacity. If there are several wild dogs and you have to engage them you'll want as many bullets as possible. Secondly I would get a good 12g and then a good carbine. As far as carbines go, there are almost unlimited possibilities. An M1 would be an excellent choice or you could go the AK/AR route.

Edited by Smith
Guest canynracer
And a stationary dog at 100 yards, munching on a goat leg, will be perfectly safe with you shooting a judge at it. Mugster, 1-1.

;) 100 yards??? LMAO...yeah, no kidding, but that has nothing to do with the judge. ;)

exactly...

The OP has already stated that this pack is responsible for killing someones livestock and pets.

What are these alternatives you speak of?

The OP has already stated that this pack is responsible for killing someones livestock and pets.

What are these alternatives you speak of?

live trap for one....cost less than a gun and can be used multiple times...what happens if the OP gets a little trigger happy and pops off a shot at the neighbors dog, mistaking it for a wild one? Then gets sued for shooting someones pet...If the dogs have to be disposed of they can be trapped and shot with one clean shot. Instead of telling someone that obviously does not know anything about guns, to go ahead and start blasting...:)

Guest JHatmaker

Get one of these for the house, you can pick anything off from the comfort of your deck. When one of those wild dogs sees his buddy disappear in a red cloud of "no more dog", he'll run away fairly quickly.

BarrettM107.jpg

As far as something to carry with you, consider the Judge someone mentioned previously, you can shoot either shotgun shells or bullets. If a rabid dog does come running torward you, it will stop him dead in his (or her) tracks.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

If I were going to go looking for the dogs, I would take a long gun - most likely an AR or maybe even my .270. However if you just want something to have with you "just in case" then I think the Taurus Judge would be a good idea - but your effective range will be somewhat limited of course. I have been thinking of getting one of those for home defense.

live trap for one....cost less than a gun and can be used multiple times...what happens if the OP gets a little trigger happy and pops off a shot at the neighbors dog, mistaking it for a wild one? Then gets sued for shooting someones pet...If the dogs have to be disposed of they can be trapped and shot with one clean shot. Instead of telling someone that obviously does not know anything about guns, to go ahead and start blasting...:D

A lot of assumptions coming from you. The fellow just asked for suggestions on a gun, not a critical analysis of his knowledge or capabilities.

What you have suggested still requires a gun, which is what he was asking advice for in the first place.

And since we are going to make assumptions, then I am going to give it a try. I think that a person who gets on the internet, finds our site here, signs up, and post a question asking for advice on a firearm purchase has shown the first signs of responsibility.

Food for thought. :rolleyes: