Newbie...who doesn't want to act like a newbie.

Guest <3_2B_in_TN

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of assumptions coming from you. The fellow just asked for suggestions on a gun, not a critical analysis of his knowledge or capabilities.

What you have suggested still requires a gun, which is what he was asking advice for in the first place.

And since we are going to make assumptions, then I am going to give it a try. I think that a person who gets on the internet, finds our site here, signs up, and post a question asking for advice on a firearm purchase has shown the first signs of responsibility.

Food for thought. :up:

All the "suggestions" that have been given were all ones that could end in something suffering. Ok I will be like you...get a gun and blast away OP....try a good 12 gauge with a slug, should blast those dogs into tomorrow...lmao.

All the "suggestions" that have been given were all ones that could end in something suffering. Ok I will be like you...get a gun and blast away OP....try a good 12 gauge with a slug, should blast those dogs into tomorrow...lmao.

Please quote me on my blasting away stance.

Please quote me on my blasting away stance.

Anyone who is telling her what to get to take out dogs is "telling her to blast away" . The thread should have been closed before it ever got started. Seriously, a thread on what gun is best for shooting dogs....your a moderator, yet you condone this. WOW...Im done with this thread. If you still want to discuss it, go to private messages.

To the OP...I suggest you think about this a little more. Lots can be done to remove unwanted animals besides shooting them. You could make a mistake and accidentally hurt or kill someone else's dog.

Anyone who is telling her what to get to take out dogs is "telling her to blast away" . The thread should have been closed before it ever got started. Seriously, a thread on what gun is best for shooting dogs....your a moderator, yet you condone this. WOW...Im done with this thread. If you still want to discuss it, go to private messages.

To the OP...I suggest you think about this a little more. Lots can be done to remove unwanted animals besides shooting them. You could make a mistake and accidentally hurt or kill someone else's dog.

A typical problem that is seen in the "internet forum" world, is people like to be critical in a thread, without ever answering the original question, and that is what sparked my response to yours and Justme's post. You were critical of a question without offering any alternatives.

Go back and read the original post. The purpose was very well stated and did not indicate to me or (as far as I know) any other Mod that the OP was wanting to start "gunning down neighborhood pets". Plus she decided to post this in the HUNTING thread. Which shows to me a person who is seeking the best available advice from people who know what works best for taking down animals.

Lets take a closer look at you lastest response: (your words are in red)

Anyone who is telling her what to get to take out dogs is "telling her to blast away" .

I give people suggestions on firearms for self defense a lot, and I know that they do not think that I am prompting them to go out on a shooting spree. I would think the same applies here.

The thread should have been closed before it ever got started. Seriously, a thread on what gun is best for shooting dogs....your a moderator, yet you condone this.

A lot of people would find it more horrendous that I partake in the sport of whitetail deer hunting than a person who is wanting to put down some wild dogs who are responsible for the death of livestock and pets...so there is no justification in closing this thread.

Yes seriously a thread about asking hunters what firearm choice is best suitable for her animal harvest. It just so happens that the animals she is interested in removing from her property are wild dogs.

You are correct I am a Moderator and I condone people seeking advice before they just randomly buy a firearm that could possibly turn out to be either “too-much of a gun” or “too-little of a gun” for the intended purposes.

WOW...Im done with this thread. If you still want to discuss it, go to private messages.

I really hate to see you depart from a thread without ever really contributing to it. As far as the private messages go on this subject, I have nothing that needs to be said in private.

To the OP...I suggest you think about this a little more. Lots can be done to remove unwanted animals besides shooting them.

That is exactly why I asked you to give some alternatives, and the only one you gave involved a gun, which brings us back to the original question at hand.

You could make a mistake and accidentally hurt or kill someone else's dog.

This is true, a mistake could possible happen. Here is my stance on the idea that mistakes “could” happen.

I carry a Glock Model 30 .45acp loaded with 230 grain Remington Golden Sabers. In deciding what firearm to purchase for everyday carry; caliber, size of gun, and capacity were all a concern. It had to be concealed comfortably on my person, it had to have a capacity of at least 10 rounds, and I wanted the caliber with the slowest and biggest projectile that would fit into the other two categories.

You see the reason behind the last qualification, is the “could” and “if” factor. “If” I had to use my sidearm in a self-defense scenario, I am responsible for that bullet when it leaves the barrel. The bullet “could” pass thru the target and still cause damage. In my way of thinking, selecting the slowest and largest projectile would aid in the lessening of damage caused by the post target bullet. (Bullets that pass through a mass, and are deformed tend to slow down, and the larger exit hole aids in my chances of survival)

So “if” I ever have to use my sidearm, I am prepared to take full responsibility for whatever damages that maybe caused, but I am hopeful that my preparedness will work in my advantage.

So in this particular case, the OP needs to diligent and prudent in ensuring the target before engaging on said target, and be prepared to face the consequences "if" a mistake is made.

Unfortunately I have had to put down a dog that I believed had turned feral. Luckily I was hunting and had a shotgun with me. I did not just start blasting away. I made noise, tried to “shoosh” the growling dog away, did everything I could think of to do before I shouldered my 12 gauge. I allowed the growling dog to get within 20 or so feet from me before I took a shot directly to the face with a #4 shot Remington Nitro Magnum 12 gauge shell.

I went and informed the people who lived around that area what happened, to ensure it wasn’t a pet, and was relieved when I learned that the description I gave matched a dog that had been seen carrying off chickens at one of the local houses.

Ok now I am finished……I think :screwy:

Edited by memphismason

Definitely shotgun, I think shotguns are the most versatile firearm made. Slugs, buck shot, bird shot.

There are other ways to get rid of dogs besides shooting them(no Im not talking poison either). To humanely cull a dog, you need to be directly behind him and a well placed shot to the base of the skull. Dogs should not be shot at with shotguns or pistols from long range...I cant even believe that you or anyone on this board would publicly voice that method either....

You can shoot the dogs with slugs or buck shot which would be just as "humane" as a pistol or rifle. If a dog was killing my livestock I wouldn't lose an ounce of sleep about shooting it.

Guest Fenris
I am surprised the .30-30 has not been mentioned. They are good all around guns for a ranch/farm in this area, (up to 100 yards).

I thought that, too. It is a standard "farm rifle". I get the impression that the OP has not done a lot of shooting. I might not make it my first and only gun, but if the OP feels comfortable with shooting, and is a decent shot, a good old Winchester Model 94 might be the ticket.

Guest fan of the 1911

The judge pistols are getting pretty popular, with the ability to load a couple of .45 long colts mixed with a few shot looks to be a good mix. If you don't own any guns at all I would take a look at a near by range that has a few guns to rent. You can shoot a couple of different things and get a better idea of what you want. To carry regular in the field to protect your dogs and you. Needs to be easy to carry, as you stated will not do any good if you don't have it with you. A shot gun would be a great! Not easy to carry if throwing a ball and sticks for the dogs but could be done. I vote pistol a .38/.357 would be a good choice for a field gun. It could be loaded .38 until you feel more comfortable with it a 4" barrel wouldn't be to hard to carry and you should be able to find ammo, and holster pretty reasonable. It's popular enough if you decide you don't like it (want a bigger cal. etc). you could easily sell it and make your money back. Check out a gun show, you will be able to check out all of the pistols and see what you like. Hope this helps and welcome William.