Checking Status of Carry Permit?

Guest DrDynamite

Guest DrDynamite

Does anyone know the number to call and check the status of a carry permit and possibly get it pushed up? I am sitting at about 45 days.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Screw phone calls. Around the week mine was supposed to come I got pulled over, after the "transaction" was done, I asked him if I'd showed up when he ran my plates. He said no and asked why, and I explained that I was waiting on it and was wondering if it had been processed yet. ;)

Screw phone calls. Around the week mine was supposed to come I got pulled over, after the "transaction" was done, I asked him if I'd showed up when he ran my plates. He said no and asked why, and I explained that I was waiting on it and was wondering if it had been processed yet. ;)

Probably not the best way to check your status!;)

Guest dtandy

I called and had mine a week later. I applied on Jan 26 and my permit showed up Mar 7. I haven't had a chance to do the WalMart walk, yet.

Guest KWW67

Unless something has changed, it will not up on your plates. It will however show up on your drivers license printout.

Guest savvysteve
Does anyone know the number to call and check the status of a carry permit and possibly get it pushed up? I am sitting at about 45 days.

That seems like a long time but you have to consider the increase in applications due to Obama coupled with the situation in Shelby County and also the fact that these are government workers. They are paid by the hour.

Seriously. I remember back when I got my permit... things have changed for the better. I took my class when I was still 20, it was legal b/c the class was good for 6 months I believe. I then had to turn 21 and wait to get an apppointment with THP. I had to wait something like 3 months just to get the opportunity to get fingerprinted. So I did so and then waited another 2 months to get my actual permit. I turned 21 at the end of 2001 and didn't have my permit until May of 2002 and I had already taken the class in December of 2000.

My girlfriend just recently took her class and had to get fingerprinted and had to wait in a line for a while and was all impatient. I explained to her this was nothing and just another hoop you had to jump through to carry in TN. TN doesn't understand "shall not be infringed."

Guest DoDFire

22 days and wait'n,,,,,, I was "told" that since I am military that I would stand a chance to get it sooner than most because of the security clearance the military does. I don't know about that, but I'll wait in line like the rest of ya'll and see how long it does take. I'm not in a hurry but I would like to have it sooner than the 6 months that was quoted to me at the DMV.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bkelm18
What's the ph # to check status of permit? I renewed mine in Jan., still waiting.

Renewals have been taking MUCH longer than first time applicants. Longer than 2 or 3 months is not out of the ordinary from what I have seen.

Do you mean this one - (866) 849-3548? I'm a little confused because the post you quoted mentioned a 615 number.

Ah, they've removed the local number, only the toll-free one shown now onsite, I see.

Used to be they often didn't answer the toll-free one, but did the local.

- OS

• 2 months later...
Guest Ervinlm

On April 6th I turned in my application. On April 2nd I called to check my status. I was told the It had been approved and I should receive my permit in 7-14 days. 14 days later, I called and was told that my application was still pending. How is this when I was told that I was approved. So I called on June 23rd and told, Judy, that I called on the 2nd and everything that went on. She told me to wait to July 6th, my 90 days, and if I haven't received my permit, call them and they will issue it to me. Can they just issue a permit like that?

Guest m&p40
On April 6th I turned in my application. On April 2nd I called to check my status. I was told the It had been approved and I should receive my permit in 7-14 days. 14 days later, I called and was told that my application was still pending. How is this when I was told that I was approved. So I called on June 23rd and told, Judy, that I called on the 2nd and everything that went on. She told me to wait to July 6th, my 90 days, and if I haven't received my permit, call them and they will issue it to me. Can they just issue a permit like that?

Yes they can, after 90 days, they HAVE to issue it even if they have not done the background check. Its the law.

Guest bkelm18
Yes they can, after 90 days, they HAVE to issue it even if they have not done the background check. Its the law.

Good luck with that one.

Guest m&p40
Good luck with that one.

Luck has nothing to do with it, its the LAW.

Tennessee Handgun Permits Issued, Denied, and Revoked.

**The process for issuance of a Tennessee Handgun Permit requires that the permit be issued within 90 days of receipt of the application at the Tennessee Department of Safety Handgun Permit Office in Nashville. If no red flags appear during the ninety day period, the permit 'shall' be issued.

Because of the time required fto conduct a full criminal background fingerprint investigation by the F.B.I., some permits might be issued to indivudals who do not qualify for a handgun permit. As a result, the handgun permit is 'revoked'. This might cause a revoked handgun permit to look as though a person commited a crime after they received their handgun permit. In fact, this is normally not the case. The majority of revoked handgun permits are individuals who had prior problems before receiving their Tennessee Handgun Permit.