Gun Bills To Be Voted On This Week 3/11/09

Here's the schedule for the bills we've been watching for 3/11/09 at 8:30a.m.

This is the link to the calandar for the Judiciary Committee:

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/Calendar/CalendarOrders.aspx?CalendarID=225

1. HB1665 by *Todd. (*SB1912 by *Norris.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, allows a commissioned reserve deputy sheriff as authorized in writing by the sheriff to carry firearms as a law enforcement officer. - Amends TCA Section 39-17-1350.

2. *HB0962 by *Todd, *McCord, *Tindell, *Evans, *Fincher, *Watson, *Faulkner, *Eldridge, *Rowland, *McCormick, *Bass, *Hackworth, *Cobb C, *Carr, *Matheny, *Mumpower, *Floyd, *Bell, *Lollar, *Casada, *Rich, *Lynn, *Harrison, *Shipley, *Dean, *Johnson C, *Johnson P, *Niceley, *Tidwell, *Shepard, *Hill, *Ramsey, *Halford, *Haynes, *Swafford, *Maggart, *Hensley, *West, *Montgomery, *Dennis, *Brooks H, *Matlock, *Dunn, *Hawk. (SB1127 by *Jackson, *Norris.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, allows person with handgun carry permit to carry in restaurants that serve alcoholic beverages as long as such person is not consuming alcoholic beverages and such restaurant is not an age-restricted venue. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17.

3. *HB0960 by *Tindell, *McCord, *Todd, *Jones U, *Evans, *Fincher, *Watson. (SB1518 by *Beavers, *Burchett, *Jackson.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, authorizes person with handgun carry permit to possess firearm in local, state, or federal parks. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13 and Title 70.

5. *HB0046 by *Evans, *Bass, *Todd, *Rich, *Dennis, *Watson, *Haynes, *Ramsey, *Brooks K, *Shipley, *Carr, *Weaver, *Halford, *Bell, *Matheny, *Kelsey, *Maggart, *Faulkner, *Lundberg. (SB0032 by *Tracy.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, prohibits department of safety or any department approved handgun safety course employee from requiring applicant for handgun carry permit to furnish any identifying information concerning any handgun the applicant owns or possesses. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

6. HB0082 by *Shaw, *Fincher. (*SB0019 by *Gresham, *Ford, O..)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, authorizes current and retired judges who possess a handgun carry permit to carry a firearm under same circumstances and conditions as law enforcement officers and correctional officers. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

11. *HB0959 by *Bass, *McCord, *Tindell, *Todd, *Jones U, *Williams, *Fincher, *Watson, *Rich, *Lollar, *Pitts, *Evans, *Bell, *Eldridge, *Cobb T, *Hardaway, *Shipley. (SB1126 by *Norris, *Jackson.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, makes information contained in handgun carry permit applications and renewals, information provided to agencies to investigate applicant, and records maintained relative to the permit application confidential and creates Class A fine only misdemeanor of unauthorized publication of permit information or records. - Amends TCA Section 10-7-504 and Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

15. *HB0390 by *Fincher. (SB0578 by *Jackson.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, permits handgun carry permit holders to possess or carry a loaded rifle, loaded shotgun, or loaded magazine or clip therefore while in a motor vehicle. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17.

Here is the link to the Criminal Practice and Procedure Calandar for 3/11/09 at 12:00 Noon:

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/Calendar/CalendarOrders.aspx?CalendarID=255

7. *HB0798 by *Campfield. (SB1261 by *Bunch.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, authorizes full-time faculty and staff at public colleges and universities in Tennessee to carry handguns if not otherwise prohibited by law. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

8. *HB0823 by *Campfield. (SB1248 by *Bunch.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, authorizes certain law enforcement officers and military personnel to carry weapons on public colleges and universities. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

17. *HB1395 by *Evans. (SB1724 by *Bunch.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, prohibits employers from prohibiting persons possessing a handgun carry permit from transporting and storing a firearm out of sight in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for vehicles. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lci419

Hold the horses here! Did I miss H.B. 0390 somewhere? This is the first I've heard it mentioned...and what does it mean?

As I understand it, does this mean we would be able to carry long arms in our vehicles loaded as long as we have our HCP? :D

waynesan, thanks for taking the time to post this - it makes it very easy for me to contact my rep and senator regarding the issues. Making it easier for us to speak to our elected representatives is a nobel cause, thank you.

As I understand it, does this mean we would be able to carry long arms in our vehicles loaded as long as we have our HCP?

That certainly appears to be the intent of the bill. It always amazed me in the past that those of us who have our HCP could not transport a long gun that was loaded ( per TN definition of "loaded" ) and within reach.

waynesan, thanks for taking the time to post this - it makes it very easy for me to contact my rep and senator regarding the issues. Making it easier for us to speak to our elected representatives is a nobel cause, thank you.

You are more than welcome. I just hope that this is the year we see many (if not all) of these improvements in TN law accomplished.

Guest aBRG2far

Tenn. House to vote on ending gun fingerprinting

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20090310/NEWS01/90310016

The Associated Press

NASHVILLE — Firearms dealers in Tennessee would no longer be required to take thumbprints from gun buyers under a bill headed for a full House vote.

House Republican Caucus Chairman Glen Casada, the proposal’s main sponsor, says gun dealers aren’t well qualified to take fingerprints and law enforcement has had little use for the prints.

‘‘Guys that sell guns don’t know how to fingerprint. It is an expensive bureaucratic step that we’re just going to cut out,’’ said Casada, of Franklin.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation has asked for a thumbprint from a gun dealer only once since the law requiring the prints went into effect in 1998. And that print couldn’t be used because it hadn’t been taken properly.

‘‘A thumbprint was taken because that person had been denied the right to purchase a firearm and had been challenging that decision,’’ TBI spokeswoman

Kristin Helm said. ‘‘That print was smudged and unusable.’’

About 2.3 million guns have been sold in Tennessee since 1998, Helm said.

The House Calendar Committee unanimously scheduled the fingerprinting bill for a full House vote on Thursday. The companion bill was scheduled to be heard in the Senate Judiciary Committee on Wednesday.

The proposal would not affect current laws requiring anyone applying for a handgun carry permit to submit fingerprints for background checks.

Casada’s bill is among the first of a slew of gun-related bills being heard this session. Many propose to expand the areas where handguns can be carried to places like restaurants where alcohol is served and into parks and wildlife areas.

Former House Speaker Jimmy Naifeh said the Legislature is spending too much time dealing with more than 100 gun proposals that have been filed this year. The Covington Democrat said he plans to introduce a single measure to try to encompass them all.

‘‘You can carry anywhere that’s not posted — that’s where the NRA is taking this group right now anyway,’’ Naifeh said. ‘‘They did it in Georgia, and they’re about to do it in Tennessee.

‘‘I’m against it, make no mistake,’’ he said. ‘‘But it will sure save us some time we need to be spending on the budget and other important things.’’

———

On the Net:

Read HB0254 at: http://www.capitol.tn.gov

..... Former House Speaker Jimmy Naifeh said the Legislature is spending too much time dealing with more than 100 gun proposals that have been filed this year.....

Well Jimmy just needs to understand that it takes time to fix HIS 17 years of blocking Second Amendment Rights!

Guest benchpresspower

So Naifeh would rather keep us behind times and STILL be one of only 5 or 6 states in the country to prohibit the restaurant carry issue. Politicians just don't get it......

I think Naifeh figures if all these bills are seperate, some may pass and some not. But, if they are rolled up into one bill, he's got a 50/50 shot to kill it. And with some clever marketing and help of the media, he'd probably have a good chance.

That would be my first guess...

Guest aBRG2far

Tennessee: Bill to allow handguns in bars passes House committee

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 http://timesfreepress.com/news/2009/mar/11/tennessee-bill-allow-handguns-bars-passes-house-co/?print

NASHVILLE — Handgun permit holders could bring their firearms into restaurants selling alcohol under a bill that passed the House Judiciary Committee on a voice vote this morning.

House Bill 962 by Rep. Curry Todd, R-Collierville, allows permit holders to bring their weapons into establishments selling alcohol, provided they are not drinking alcohol themselves.

Under the bill, permit holders’ weapons would not be allowed in after 11 p.m. Establishments barring persons who are under age 21 also are excluded from the measure.

Nashville Police Chief Ronal Serpas said he opposes the legislation.

“Absolutely, absolutely. There’s no question about it, alcohol does not mix well with guns,” he told reporters. “Alcohol doesn’t mix well with anything that causes you to make rational decisions.”

He said the “overwhelming evidence in my mind is that people ought to be able to go to O’Charley’s and enjoy dinner without having to worry who’s got a gun around them.”

Judiciary Committee members also approved House Bill 390, which allows handgun permit holders to have a loaded rifle, loaded shotgun or loaded magazine or clip in a vehicle.

Both bills go to the House Finance Committee. Similar legislation has not begun moving in the Senate.

Guest betobeto
Nashville Police Chief Ronal Serpas said he opposes the legislation.

“Absolutely, absolutely. There’s no question about it, alcohol does not mix well with guns,†he told reporters. “Alcohol doesn’t mix well with anything that causes you to make rational decisions.â€

He said the “overwhelming evidence in my mind is that people ought to be able to go to O’Charley’s and enjoy dinner without having to worry who’s got a gun around them.â€

I personaly worry about who doesn't have a gun! The more guns there are the safer the comunity there in. Come on Police Chief, get real.