Transporting Firearms via Airline

Guest GT_Rat

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GT, I HAVE transported firearms via the airlines..and very recently.

to make it easy here's how they're required to be transported

1. in a LOCKED metal container (like a hardback carry case) that ONLY YOU have the key to.

2. NO ammunition may be transported with them and they have to be unloaded.

you are required to open your case for examination by the ticketing agent, after he inspects the interior of the case you lock it back up and he takes possession of the case to load it into the plane.

you'll get it back on the luggage carousel.

Unless you're flying outside the country, this is the basic way to fly with a firearm.

Guest GT_Rat

According to the site linked you can bring ammunition barring the airline preventing it. A couple I checked (SW and Delta) do allow up to 11lbs of ammunition in the box it came in or other container designed for carrying ammunition that protects the primer.

Yes, but wouldn't it be just as easy to purchase the ammunition where you are going rather than having to lug it on the plane and in your bags? 11 pounds of ammo is a lot if you have a long walk with your bags once you get where you are going.

Make sure to carry a copy of the airlines policy with you. Some ticketing agents are not aware of the provisions for doing this and you don't want a hold up, and get there early and insure the guns for theft or loss by the carrier.

Guest Steelharp

Not that I would ever do it, but do the same policies apply to handguns, rifles, and shotguns? Or is it strictly long guns allowed only?

I regularly fly with my handgun. All you do is keep the handgun in it's own locked case and the ammo in a factory(or plastic)box. You declare the firearm at the ticketing counter and a unloaded firearms tag is placed in the case with the gun. That is then placed in your checked baggage and off you go. It is a good idea to have a copy of TSA and Your Carriers firearms policy. Also it is illegal for anyone to place a tag on the outside of your bag indicating it contains a gun. I have had a desk clerk try this. Make sure you know the gun laws of whatever state you are headed to. Coincidentally, I have never been searched going through security when I checked my gun.

Guest Engloid

When I have traveled with a handgun, I have been allowed to carry ammo and the gun, both in a hard plastic, locked case....packed into my check-in bags.

You won't get on the plane if it's not in a HARD locking case. No soft zipper bags allowed.

That is true it does have to be a lockable hard case. I have always kept my ammunition in hard plastic ammo boxes separate from the gun. All in all it is a fairly easy process. Just make sure you read and know the rules.

Guest GT_Rat
Yes, but wouldn't it be just as easy to purchase the ammunition where you are going rather than having to lug it on the plane and in your bags? 11 pounds of ammo is a lot if you have a long walk with your bags once you get where you are going.

Make sure to carry a copy of the airlines policy with you. Some ticketing agents are not aware of the provisions for doing this and you don't want a hold up, and get there early and insure the guns for theft or loss by the carrier.

11lbs of ammo is also a lot of ammo. A person is typically not going to carry that much around with them. A couple magazines my weigh 2 or 3 lbs depending on caliber. If you regularly carry 11lbs of ammo with you then you are very paranoid or a really bad shot. :)

If you need that much ammo then yeah, buy it when you get where you are going. That doesn't mean you should be essentially unarmed while going to the gun shop to buy ammo.

Guest Mugster
11lbs of ammo is also a lot of ammo. A person is typically not going to carry that much around with them. A couple magazines my weigh 2 or 3 lbs depending on caliber. If you regularly carry 11lbs of ammo with you then you are very paranoid or a really bad shot. :D

If you need that much ammo then yeah, buy it when you get where you are going. That doesn't mean you should be essentially unarmed while going to the gun shop to buy ammo.

Depends on what you are doing. Shooting p-dogs in sodak, i've taken 1500 rounds of .223 before. They don't usually enforce the 11 pound limit.

I haven't flown with a rifle since the security was stepped up. Flying is about the last thing i want to subject myself to when i have time off. I'll just drive it if i really want to get there.

Guest GT_Rat
Depends on what you are doing. Shooting p-dogs in sodak, i've taken 1500 rounds of .223 before. They don't usually enforce the 11 pound limit.

I haven't flown with a rifle since the security was stepped up. Flying is about the last thing i want to subject myself to when i have time off. I'll just drive it if i really want to get there.

You could always ship your ammo to where you are going so it's waiting when you get there.

Yeah, I can see situations where you would want more ammo than that but I'd still buy it when I got there or, as Reef mentioned, ship it there so I don't have to carry it through the airport.

I was going on business trip from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State>Illinois</st1:State> to CA a few years ago. My friend in CA told me I could either bring one on my handguns or he would loan me one and we would go shooting while I was there.

I checked the regs and they were pretty straight forward. The young lady checking me in did not know how to respond when I told her I wanted to declare a firearm. willy_nilly.gif She called someone and a guy came out the back and <st1:stockticker>LOUD</st1:stockticker>LY ask “Okay, who wants†to check the gun?†He started barking out the regulations like either I had not read them or thought I would just carry it through in my carry on. After determing that I had followed all the rules he took my bag and informed the lady he would “Take care of itâ€.

I got to <st1:PlaceName>Orange</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType>County</st1:PlaceType> <st1:PlaceType>Airport</st1:PlaceType> in CA and I guess it was a good thing my friend and I got there before the bags came out, because when my bag came out it had a big red tag on it that said GUN. Thud.gif

I didn’t do that anymore.

leaving.gif