Finding .45ACP carry ammo in middle Tennessee is becoming a challenge

• Administrator

I went out in search of .45ACP carry ammo this afternoon and didn't come home with much to show for it. Specifically I was looking for 185gr or 230gr in Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger, Cor-Bon or Hornady TAP. I really didn't want +P since that would pretty much designate it solely for use in the Glock 21 and not my Wilson (I just prefer not to run the Wilson with +P) but the only ammo I could find anywhere was all +P rated.

I even checked on Midway USA and they are practically sold out of all of their .45ACP ammunition. I did see some Cor-Bon 230gr JHP on Ammunition-To-Go after doing a lot of searching.

Are you guys in other parts of Tennessee seeing the same trend with your local suppliers?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been ordering mine online & that's getting spotty, too.

Check ammunitiontogo.com regularly ... they update their inventory all the time.

I was shopping for 230gr Gold Dot, and they had some when I didn't any money ... by the time I got paid, 185gr +P Gold Dot was the closest they had, ended up getting 100 rounds of 230gr Ranger Bonded instead.

The well is running at a trickle just about everywhere. The only carry ammo I buy is .40S&W, but I do my best to keep an eye out for what's available in other calibers, and .45ACP is just as scarce as everything else.

While at Wal-Mart, I noticed 1 box of .45, period. That was Blazer Brass FMJ's.

Wal-mart had a fair amount late last week. Mostly Federal Hydra-shok and Winchester, I forget what they call there premium stuff. So you may want to try your local store.

Guest Bronker

Last time I was in Guns and Leather (about 2 weeks ago) they literally had 2 or 3 stacks, each 3' tall of Remington Golden Sabers. Mostly 230gr, but some 185gr IIRC. That's my round of choice so I was happy to see it. Seems like they were about $29 or so per 25.

I went out in search of .45ACP carry ammo this afternoon and didn't come home with much to show for it. Specifically I was looking for 185gr or 230gr in Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger, Cor-Bon or Hornady TAP. I really didn't want +P since that would pretty much designate it solely for use in the Glock 21 and not my Wilson (I just prefer not to run the Wilson with +P) but the only ammo I could find anywhere was all +P rated.

I even checked on Midway USA and they are practically sold out of all of their .45ACP ammunition. I did see some Cor-Bon 230gr JHP on Ammunition-To-Go after doing a lot of searching.

Are you guys in other parts of Tennessee seeing the same trend with your local suppliers?

• Administrator
I have not had to shoot anyone yet at all. I have the same carry ammo I bought near two years ago. It still looks good, no reason to buy new yet.

It doesn't go bad, but it's always a good idea to shoot some of your normal carry ammo on a regular basis simply because it may not (and often doesn't) act the same as cheap FMJ target ammo does in your firearm. Point of impact may be different, felt recoil may be different, and it may not always cycle the same which could lead to bigger problems.

People shoot 200+ rounds of Winchester White Box and freak the hell out if one or two rounds don't work. But then they buy 20rds of defensive grade ammo and never shoot a single round of it, or if they do they just shoot one or two and call it good. How can people panic over a 1% failure rate with target ammo but on the other hand shoot 2-20 rds of defensive ammo and call it good just because it went bang every time?

People confuse me. :popcorn:

I have test shot my carry ammo when I decided on what to carry and what ammo to use. I am not thinking much has changed with it.

I see mention from time to time that people use up their carry ammo. I assume use it at the range. Just seems like a waste to me to shoot it up. But like David said, it is a good idea to know how the rounds react in your weapon.

I agree that some practice with carry ammo is good. Basically from ten feet or so the point of aim is the same as point of impact pretty much no matter what ammo I use.

Shoooting defensive rounds from the .357 is not very pleasant and I avoid it now.

I am so glad that I reload all of my .45 ACP. I really haven't had a problem getting primers, powder, or bullets for .45 ACP. I have a lot of 230 grain HP I loaded up several years ago. It is all kept in my closet were I keep my guns in a safe. I also loaded up at least 300 rounds of Hornady 185 grain XTP. That is my carry rounds, the Hornady 185 grain XTP's. I'm like all of you guys. I can't find any Federal Hydra Shok or any Winchester SXT in .45 ACP. I am using Winchester 147 grain SXT in my Ruger P89. Wish I could find 2 more boxes of that. No luck. gearyr

Guest flyfishtn

David, I have been seeing the same thing. I have been ordering mine from ATG just because I have enough surplus right now to cover myself and can wait.

im starting to only shoot what I know I can replace

Vincent those are words to live by. I have a minimum round inventory. If it gets lower than that number no more shooting until it can be restocked.

I wanna have some to take to the grave with me.