Things To Do in Nashville?

Guest justinbelcher13

Guest justinbelcher13

My wife and I are going to Nashville for the weekend for our second anniversary. Just to get away and relax for a few days really, but I want to know the must do things around there. We are on a budget, so cheap is good too. Are there any good hole in the wall restaurants that we should check out? I figure alot of you guys live around that area, what better place to ask. I appreciate any info.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go by Centennial Park and see the Parthenon, it is closed on Mondays though, as to restaurants, I love Cheddars in Hendersonville but that is a chain, if you like pizza the Sir Pizza on Charlotte near White Bridge road still uses the stone ovens, man I love their peperoni pizza, don't like their sausage though, it is ground like hamburger. It has been there forever.

You can park in the theater parking in Opry Mills right next to the hotel and just walk over, it is not that far.

Also, if you are not interested in secular pursuits, :stick:, then let me also invite you to Cornerstone Church at exit 92 I65N. It is not a typical church, it is an awesome experience, 5pm Saturday evening or 10am on Sunday, Y'all come. We are having card board testimonies this weekend.

Guest JavaGuy

Food suggestions

Mexican food

Las Palmas - they have locations scattered around the city, but the best one (IMO) is at 1905 Hayes St.

Burgers

Brown's Diner and Rotier's as mentioned by others.

Five Guys is really good as well. They have a place on West End at 21st. Parking is available in the rear of the building. The regular burger has two patties.. the small burger has one.

Italian

Amerigo's - 1920 West End. Chicken Marsala... Tiramisu... oh my.

Caesar's Ristorante Italiano - 72 White Bridge Rd. Great lunch buffet. Quiet evening dining (and more expensive, but still reasonable).

Steaks

Demo's - 3rd and Commerce smack in the middle of downtown. Just a couple of blocks from Tootsies.. Bacon wrapped Filet.. again, oh my.

Pizza

Pie in the Sky - Lyle Street (between 19th and 20th off West End). It's kind of expensive for pizza, but it was pretty good. Service.. well, mixed reviews on that.

Things to do

Visit the parks...

Centennial Park on West End. This park (and a lot of the adjoining land) was the site of Tennessee's Centennial Exposition. The Parthenon, one of the exhibit buildings, was so loved that it wasn't torn down with the rest of the exposition buildings after the exposition. It's been rebuilt and refurbished several times over the years and is still a favorite of Nashvillians.

Bicentennial Mall State Park between Jefferson St and James Robertson Pkwy. Tennessee's 200th birthday present to itself and to us. Here's the history of Tennessee in a nutshell. Beautiful park. Great view of the Capitol and downtown. Walk around... lots to see.

Visit the Capitol...

Tours are available although I don't know that they do it on weekends. A state trooper and metal detector stand post at the entrance. From the front of the Capitol, go round the left side and up in the middle of the left side. James Knox Polk and his wife are buried on the back right corner of the grounds. Statues of Andrew Jackson, Andrew Johnson, Alvin York and Sam Davis are also present on the grounds. Be sure to have a look out the back end at the great view of the Bicentennial Mall State Park.

Guest Astra900

While in Nashville, Avoid any of the following!!!!

Jefferson St.

Jo Johnson

Lafayette

Bordeaux

Centennial Park after dark

There are others, I know, but these are places you DO NOT want to visit unless you travel with a Marine infantry battalion :D Just kidding......errr kind of.

Guest coldblackwind

Another thing to avoid is Hickory Hollow mall....

2nd Ave (where tootsies is) is a decent little tourist trap, if you don't mind the homeless people. Kind of a neat little fort/museum type thingey there too thats free. Down by coyote ugly, hard rock, and wildhorse.

decently priced places to eat..

http://www.jacksbarbque.com/

Good smoked bbq, ribs, turkey and great veggies

I'd suggest going to the one on Broadway, i go to the one on Trinity Lane but I wouldnt recommend it if you're not familiar with the area or the people around there :D

http://www.demosrestaurants.com/

Steak & Spaghetti and very reasonable prices

There is one downtown like another poster has mentioned.

Guest superdrew4000
I'm not up on the Preds schedule, but maybe you could catch a hockey game?

No hockey this saturday, there is a Brad Paisley concert at the Sommet Center though.

Country Music Hall of Fame is right downtown from Broadway and has some cool exhibits. Not sure how much they're charging now.