TN Maps

Guest stovepipe

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rando

The Forestry Dept. supposedly has new maps now or at least that is what the Forestry Police officer told me and my brother a few days ago as he wrote us a citation for being somewhere he said we couldnt be on street legal bikes. Oh did I happen to mention that three different TWRA officers had told us we could be there and had seen and talked to us in the same spot while we were in our big four wheel drives!!!! ( ie trucks and an Early Bronco ) I am trying to talk to his boss and see if he will listen to reason and drop the charges I mean we do have three out of four officers on our side.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest 22-rimfire

I feel tha Delorme Topo USA is a very good tool for general purpose maps. I also like the Delorme product containing individual state topo maps on CD. Quite handy.

Thanks. I really want to know if Walker Springs still has an active spring, and whether the water will melt your face off or not.

For that you may want to call the City of Knoxville Engineering department (Stormwater Division) if in the city, Knox County Engineering & Public Works (Stormwater) if county. They may or may not know, but have people who could find out.

If you have concerns of face-melting call neither.

Guest 22-rimfire

There is a USGS publication on Tennessee springs which is interesting. Most springs are considered "unsafe" for public consumption due to the very high drinking water standards applied to public drinking water supplies.

Why not just walk over and take a look if it is still there? I don't see any reason why it should not still be an active spring unless someone dug out the hillside for some factory or something.

There is a USGS publication on Tennessee springs which is interesting. Most springs are considered "unsafe" for public consumption due to the very high drinking water standards applied to public drinking water supplies.

Why not just walk over and take a look if it is still there? I don't see any reason why it should not still be an active spring unless someone dug out the hillside for some factory or something.

That's why I want the maps, to know where it is located.

Guest 22-rimfire

Walker Spring is not one of the major springs in Knox County. There are 8 major springs in Knox County. This is from Large Springs of East Tennessee, Geological Survey Water Supply Paper No. 1755, 1963.

The Publication Geology of Knox County, Tennessee has no information on a spring or cave called "Walker Spring".

Added: There is an un-named spring on property owned by Ed Walker (Ref #87-S) at the time in the Bearden area along the west side of Ten Mile creek with an average discharge of 300 gallons per minute. Pretty tough to say where it is exactly from the map as it has no roads on it. This information came from Ground-Water Resources of East Tennessee, Bulletin No. 58, by DeBuchananne and Richardson, 1956. It should be available in the UT Library. Be sure to take a magnifying glass.

Try this link from older USGS map, Concord Quad http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=13&Z=16&X=478&Y=2487&W=3&qs=%7cconcord+%7ctn%7c

Walker Spring is identified on the map. This is about as far as I can go with this short of stomping around looking for the spring. You can zoom in and see that the spring is marked just south of Walker Springs Road after it crosses Ten Mile Creek.

Edited by 22-rimfire
Added Material and Link
Guest 22-rimfire

Be sure to read the revisions to my last post. The DeBuchananne and Richardson reference is one of the very sought after references that is out of print. You can find it on ebay from time to time and sells for $50+ these days. I wanted to keep everything on a single post.

Edited by 22-rimfire

Thanks again, 22rimfire. We have an old book on caves in TN that gives the location of several caves in the area. I don't remember the author, but we found the title after much searching and bought a copy for either $50 or $75. It lists several caves with running water. There is one close by with a spring, but it is more trouble than its worth to get water out of that cave, as the beginning is a vertical shaft. I'm going to go stomping around when the weather cools some more and the undergrowth is cleared out this fall or winter. I want to get my eyeballs on that spring.

Guest 22-rimfire

Ten Mile Creek Cave System (Ebenezer Cave) is the big one and access is down along Ebenezer Road south the ridge as I recall. It has running water in it. I believe the main access point is sealed off to keep the tourists out.

I haven't made it the length of the cave. When they built Gettysvue subdivision, they filled in the large vertical opening. I have yet to see where the cave comes out, though I've seen photos online...it looks like someone's backyard. That is a very muddy cave, though I've heard that the other end is dry. Throughout the cave there are openings to the running water below, which is moving swiftly. You can hear it throughout the parts of the cave that I've seen. Its lots of fun when the trains go by...especially the first time in the cave. :poop:

Guest 22-rimfire

The cave comes out in Fort Louden lake. The bottom part is all underwater according to my reading material. The creek discharges to the River/Lake too. Gettysvue is the one with the golf course as I recall. I used to live over in that area.

• 1 month later...
Guest riverrat30

google earth is ok for finding out where neighborhoods and stuff is to avoid if you have to walk out its several years out of date but gives you a clue.....as in ummm i have a route mapped out from knox to 45 miles away to our safe house avoidind roads and neighborhoods using transmission lines the cut a path through the trees for you and usally do not go right thru the middle of neighborhoods on problem is water crossings have to swim or find a bridge around.....just a thoght

http://tnmap.state.tn.us/portal/

Edited by riverrat30