Opinions about Glock 43x

doug77

Doug, I’m so glad that you listened to the excellent advice on the 43x.  I had the opportunity to meet and spend a little time getting to know Gaston shortly after he released the 19 as a “compact” carry class down from the 17.  I remember marveling at that 15 round wonder gun from day one and like so many others was fascinated by how a polymer engineer could completely reimagine a semiautomatic handgun with so many fewer parts.  I relayed this story to my wife when shield came out with their 15 round mags for the 43x and in that same 24 hours- gifted my mother with my 43 not looking back.  I have the shield mag release of course, along with tritium sights and a flush fit underbarrel laser.  I sometimes sit my old glock 19 next to the modded 43x and just marvel at how something perfect can always still be improved upon.  All of that power now fits in my cargo pants pocket-without issue.

• Like 1

Thanks CMDR!   I have owned and still own many Glocks. I have looked at and bought many other brands but just can’t find anything that works better.  Was once told they are the AK47 of the handgun world and I must agree.  Mine also has night sights and tlr6 light/laser.  May look at trigger upgrade one day but very happy with it. 

• Like 1

I see I'm late to this but I will tell you, I was an early adopter on the 43X, so early that they were only available in the two tone with the silver slide finish. That gun had a little sight issue that required it to be slid over noticeably to the left, the only Glock pistol that ever did that for me. With it's magazines, it was "Glock" reliable, but I tried the Shield magazines as soon as they came out or maybe a month or two after. I dove in whole hog, mag catch, two mags and even 2 extra power mag springs just in case. No dice, I wanted to VERY much make this work, but I never got 100% reliability out of mine like I would want for a carry gun. I have since heard that was a byproduct of the earliest two tone 43Xs and that they (Glock) may have tightened up some tolerances since that first batch of that frame size.  Shield Arms was very good about it, full refund on everything, every penny I spent with them, no problems with their customer service at all.

I discovered the Sig P365 at about that time, which caused me to change course, but I would try another 43X or a 48 if the opportunity came about.

On 2/7/2023 at 10:00 AM, OMCHamlin said:

I see I'm late to this but I will tell you, I was an early adopter on the 43X, so early that they were only available in the two tone with the silver slide finish. That gun had a little sight issue that required it to be slid over noticeably to the left, the only Glock pistol that ever did that for me. With it's magazines, it was "Glock" reliable, but I tried the Shield magazines as soon as they came out or maybe a month or two after. I dove in whole hog, mag catch, two mags and even 2 extra power mag springs just in case. No dice, I wanted to VERY much make this work, but I never got 100% reliability out of mine like I would want for a carry gun. I have since heard that was a byproduct of the earliest two tone 43Xs and that they (Glock) may have tightened up some tolerances since that first batch of that frame size.  Shield Arms was very good about it, full refund on everything, every penny I spent with them, no problems with their customer service at all.

I discovered the Sig P365 at about that time, which caused me to change course, but I would try another 43X or a 48 if the opportunity came about.

I've posted earlier in the thread, but wanted to comment on OMC's post. I too jumped on the 43X almost as soon as I could find one, and actually ordered online from PSA, IIRC. I actually had 2 at the same time. Just after I got my order, I got one from a member here. The ordered version was a duo-tone as was yours.

Also wanted more capacity, and ordered Shield Mags for them immediately.

Thru a series of events, I didn't shoot either until I recieved the Shield mags.

Both shot well and thru about 50 rounds total, without mishap.  Both stock and Shield mags were flawless. Of course I couldn't get but 13 into the Shield mag, and didn't use it enogh to get a full 15 loaded up. Both pistols were as accurate than me, probably much better. But, the snappy recoil was a bit much for the old hands. I even tried a few one-handed shots. That was not a good idea. LOL.

Anyway, my assesment was that I'd try again later after the liberal application of some CBD creams. So...just for s'n'grins, went out with the 43X, a G19, and aP365.  Jst to compare them.

As you'd expect G19 was comfortable, the P365 a bit less so, and the 43X barely tolerable for me. I did get the opportunity to try out some other things another day day. One of the Sig micro pistols, (it was a definite no-go for me), and a Hellcat and Springfield XDs.

As you'd expect...all performed well. Just as they should. But...that old problem was still the issue. I couldn't get past it with the micro 9 family. Much as I liked them, it wasn't going to work for me.

Felt recoil for me and my arthritis, I ranked in the order...bad to worse. 

43X, Sig Micro, Hellcat, and almost a virtual tie with the XDs and the P365.

That's just personal findings, ymmv. So, for now, I'm still a Smith Shield fan. So far the Shield 2.0 and the Performance center 1.0(?), are my choices for edc.

Just my take on these. Thanks for watching! lol.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, hipower said:

….Felt recoil for me and my arthritis, I ranked in the order...bad to worse. 

43X, Sig Micro, Hellcat, and almost a virtual tie with the XDs and the P365.

That's just personal findings, ymmv. So, for now, I'm still a Smith Shield fan. So far the Shield 2.0 and the Performance center 1.0(?), are my choices for edc.

Just my take on these. Thanks for watching! lol.

One thing we can say, thank goodness there are so many choices for these, most of us can cast about until we find one that we like!