Inside: Special Forces

poak

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was pretty well produced as well.

I found the "SF was once considered the red-headed stepchild of US Armed Forces" bit pretty interesting... I thought SF had always been considered the rock stars of the Armed Forces! :)

The SF used be be ignored for the most part by the conventional side of the Army. From inception to to know, though not as much.

Stormin Norman refused to use SF in the initial push into Iraq in 91. He said air superiority was key. Though he was talked into it later, he still resisted using them for deep recon.

But that video was bad ass.

Guest mustangdave

Its interesting to note that yes...the SF community has always considered themselves the red headed step child...regardless of the branch of service...a lot of this perception changed in the 90's under :) Clinton...he wanted to drastically expand the numbers of SF, by making it EASIER to qualify for duty in a SF Unit...in essence making the entire military SF... this idea was fought by the higher ups to some degree...the result of which was the creation of SOCOM as the umbrella command for ALL Spec Ops be it Green Beret, SEAL, Marine RECON or AF Para's...and their associated support organizations. The SF community still prefers the keep a low profile and out of the lime light.

I have been told that limited service in SF was good for an officers career and any more and it may hurt ones promotions. Soldiers/NCOs not sure, but I suspect that they probably respect SF for who/what they are.

I think the only goal of the clintonistas was to weaken the armed forces any way possible. Remember the monica hats they stuck the army with to diss SF and Rangers and provide a 95% disfunctional piece of headgear, clintonsheki's orders to contrary or not.

Whizzy bang technology in airpower or surveillance are good but do not fully substitute for brave men on the ground.

Guest Rick O'Shay
The SF used be be ignored for the most part by the conventional side of the Army. From inception to to know, though not as much.

Stormin Norman refused to use SF in the initial push into Iraq in 91. He said air superiority was key. Though he was talked into it later, he still resisted using them for deep recon.

But that video was bad ass.

It wasn't hard to talk him into it when Scud-hunting became necessary.

That was really good, my 17 yr old son has been considering this path and was great to watch with him, Thanks for the link :shake:

Good luck to your son, Tnscoot. If I were him, I'd start training like a triathlete to give myself a competitive edge through 18X. ;)