What do you use as your turkey gun?

What do you hunt turkeys with?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What do you hunt turkeys with?

• 12 ga
    • 20 ga
    • Bow & Arrow
    • Kroger + card (frozen turkey from the store)

At one time I had a "specialized" turkey gun that was only used for turkey hunting. I decided that that money could be better used is a gun that saw more action than a couple of times a year.

I now use my all purpose 20ga Benelli M2. Now I just just change chokes instead of guns depending on what I am hunting.

How about the rest of you. Do you throw a full choke on your dove gun or what?

Also what gauge do you use for turkey hunting?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've got a Camo 835 Ulti-Mag setup as a turkey only gun...well turkey hunting and card shooting matches is all it sees.

although, the past few years i will say that i've been more successful with the Kroger + Card option! :-) LOL

Many of you know I just sold a Remy Police Magnum as I saw it's limitations in the opposite light of Kahrman's view. It was great as a home defense weapon but that was about it. With the cylinder bore, and 3 inch shell maximum, it could not be utilized as a hunting weapon effectively.

I got a Stoeger P-350 12 gauge from Magiccarpetrides and have loved this thing. It's a Benelli Nova look alike but it shoots better than the Nova I had and is a much tighter machine in tolerances. No rattle vs what sounded like a mariachi band with the Nova and it's forearm. Came in the black polymer stock with pistol grip, skeet choke, improved cylinder, modified, full and an XFT Turkey choke that I patterned last week. It's throwing a 8 inch pattern at 30 yards! Well over a 100 pellets in that circle and it shoots the 3.5 inch magnums!

I have some lookouts headed to Joe's to see if Stoeger has or will have a slug barrel that I can swap out for HD mode. If not, I can always use the current barrel with 00 or 000 buckshot and make it work. They also have the camo versions for Turkey hunting. I'll just wrap it in camo tape for the season.

IMG_0758.jpg

Guest Bronker
If and when I get to go, I will be using my Remington 870 express with an Extra Full Turkey Choke, with #4 Remington 3" Turkey Shells.

And you sir shall be fine out to 40+ yds. I tend to go with the #5 Nitros.

Lately I've grown quite fond of my son's little Mossberg 500C 20gauge Youth. With the HS Strut Undertaker and Federal Premium #6, it a killer out to 35+ confidently! I'm very likely going to hunt with it some. Its very light, compact, and not complete murder to shoot.

And you sir shall be fine out to 40+ yds. I tend to go with the #5 Nitros.

Lately I've grown quite fond of my son's little Mossberg 500C 20gauge Youth. With the HS Strut Undertaker and Federal Premium #6, it a killer out to 35+ confidently! I'm very likely going to hunt with it some. Its very light, compact, and not complete murder to shoot.

Should I be using #5?

I have no idea.;)

Guest Bronker
Should I be using #5?

I have no idea.;)

Pattern it and see. I've not shot 4's in my 870. I like the 5's a lot. Last year I killed a bird at near 50 yds with it. It rolled him. I've found that the smaller shot size, at high velocity, tends to hold tighter at longer yardage. FWIW in that 20 gauge, the pattern density going from 5's to 6's was HUGE!!!

Good luck, pal!!! Go get 'em!

Pattern it and see. I've not shot 4's in my 870. I like the 5's a lot. Last year I killed a bird at near 50 yds with it. It rolled him. I've found that the smaller shot size, at high velocity, tends to hold tighter at longer yardage. FWIW in that 20 gauge, the pattern density going from 5's to 6's was HUGE!!!

Good luck, pal!!! Go get 'em!

I have shot the #4 nitro, and it was a good pattern at 40, and I didn't try anything else.

I got to work enough intestinal fortitude to get me and two boys (one teenager) and roll out of the sack on my day off to go hike up and down a ridge in the rain! This one is gonna test me.

Since no one, including the boys, wanted to go all the way to Wayne Co. this weekend with the large rain chances, we are hangin out here in Sumner Co. Bronker. I expect reports from all of us that get out there in it.

Guest Bronker
I got to work enough intestinal fortitude to get me and two boys (one teenager) and roll out of the sack on my day off to go hike up and down a ridge in the rain! This one is gonna test me.

Since no one, including the boys, wanted to go all the way to Wayne Co. this weekend with the large rain chances, we are hangin out here in Sumner Co. Bronker. I expect reports from all of us that get out there in it.

;):drama::tough: Meet the Wingers'

Oh, rest assured...me and McFlurry (jcochran88) will be out there...soaked to our drizzles! Can't kill em from the living room!

And by the way...and you will be quite peeved to know...I'm going to Oklahoma the weekend of the 11th to hunt Rio's. Reconnected with a long-time friend whose family owns a big ranch on the Texas border...it was a super-fast, thrown together trip. But I could not pass it up! Maybe we'll shoot for the 4th still!

I voted kroger plus card. Its against the natural order of things to shoot a bird on the ground with a shotgun.

Mugster,

have you ever tried to sit still long enough and sweet talk one of these "birds" inside of 40 yards? its not the easiest thing to do...trust me...i've only been successful a handful of times out of alot of attempts. its not like we are talking ducks or doves here...those birds dont care to see movement. if a turkey sees movement...you can kiss him/her goodbye!

:D:drama::drama: Meet the Wingers'

Oh, rest assured...me and McFlurry (jcochran88) will be out there...soaked to our drizzles! Can't kill em from the living room!

And by the way...and you will be quite peeved to know...I'm going to Oklahoma the weekend of the 11th to hunt Rio's. Reconnected with a long-time friend whose family owns a big ranch on the Texas border...it was a super-fast, thrown together trip. But I could not pass it up! Maybe we'll shoot for the 4th still!

Dickson will be well repd here, I will be out in the morning also.

If it's not lightning, I may "forget" to get the youngest up and just take him in the afternoon when it's supposed to clear. I don't mind the wet, just the shocks! Exact same thing last year if you all recall! My buddy and I had just sat down pre-dawn when the first lightning strikes started in the west and they just rolled on in. We were back at the cabin by 730.

Bronker! Going west just bites!

Guest Bronker
If it's not lightning, I may "forget" to get the youngest up and just take him in the afternoon when it's supposed to clear. I don't mind the wet, just the shocks! Exact same thing last year if you all recall! My buddy and I had just sat down pre-dawn when the first lightning strikes started in the west and they just rolled on in. We were back at the cabin by 730.

Bronker! Going west just bites!

My 6 year-old knows he's sleeping in. We're going tomorrow afternoon.

I'm with you...I don't mind too much the rain. When the 'flashers' start, the Bronker goes to the house. I've been caught out mule deer hunting, about 5 miles from the truck. A big nor'easter rolled in. At times I could feel the hair on my arms and head standing erect.

That's a bad, bad, bad feeling.