A newby needs help. Legitimate help.

Guest tmorelli

Guest tmorelli

Guys,

I have read a lot of posts, several articles on line, and some of the laws (that I could interpret) on NFA weapons.

My understanding is that after ordering said NFA weapon (normally via a sustantial downpayment), I pay the $ and do the tax stamp paper work and then wait on approval (~6 months??). After approval, I go pick up my gun and then protect it with my life while being held fully accountable for its actions and whereabouts at all times (IMO, just like any other weapon).

My experience has been that anytime I ask any questions of a level 3 dealer (Brighton Arms, G&A), I get a bunch of run around. A long time ago, the guy in Jackson seemed really helpful and eager to talk but I didnt have much interest or $ then and now he is not around. So, when I ask questions they are telling me things like, that's not possible, you can't have full-auto weapons, if you want an M16 that'll be $25k. I think that is all a bunch of crap. I have seen AR-15 full-auto kit rifles for sale, under $1k, in TN, and on the internet. I understand that these dealers get stupid liberals and anti-gunners trying to get them to do or say things that would further their cause but I am pretty sure I don't have any Obama, Holder, Clinton, or Brady tattoos showing.

So, here are my questions:

1) Is my basic understanding correct?

2) Is it possible to LEGALLY build an AR rifle into a full-auto weapon by purchasing parts and installing them? IE trigger group, bolt, etc.

a. If so, who would you recommend that I go talk to/work with on a LEGAL build?

b. If not, who do you recommend I go talk to about the LEGAL purchase of a built rifle?

I am not a troll so no lectures please. I am looking for simple, straight-forward advice and am just tired of people being jerks about it.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand about fully automatic weapons, you can't build one. Due to a ban in '86, there is now a fixed inventory of automatics that were registered at that time available for private ownership, hence the prices.

It's a hike from where you are, but I'd really suggest to get in touch with Hero Gear. They're located in Winchester, TN, but they're great people to deal with. Considering what you're looking for isn't an every day occurrence in most gun shops, it's worth it to deal with guys that are very familiar with the process and all the ins and outs of it.

Edited by 56FordGuy
Grammatical errors.
Guest Halfpint

I'm not a lawyer, don't play one on TV, and don't even know any good ones, except for Patrick here on the forum.

That aside, the guys at Range USA are also Class 3/Title 2 dealers. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention Joe, Dan, and the other guys at Hero Gear--they've always been extremely helpful and treated me well, so I make it a point to head up about once every four months or so.

Either of those two places employs a lot of knowledgable and helpful people, and both deserve your Class 3 business. ;)

Guest Major Pain

Haven't seen any full autos in many years, that was legal, for $1k. I would stay clear of any FA in that range because probably no papers or illegal conversion.

Find a good class 3 dealer and get the correct info.--MP

Guys,

I have read a lot of posts, several articles on line, and some of the laws (that I could interpret) on NFA weapons.

My understanding is that after ordering said NFA weapon (normally via a sustantial downpayment), I pay the $ and do the tax stamp paper work and then wait on approval (~6 months??). After approval, I go pick up my gun and then protect it with my life while being held fully accountable for its actions and whereabouts at all times (IMO, just like any other weapon).

My experience has been that anytime I ask any questions of a level 3 dealer (Brighton Arms, G&A), I get a bunch of run around. A long time ago, the guy in Jackson seemed really helpful and eager to talk but I didnt have much interest or $ then and now he is not around. So, when I ask questions they are telling me things like, that's not possible, you can't have full-auto weapons, if you want an M16 that'll be $25k. I think that is all a bunch of crap. I have seen AR-15 full-auto kit rifles for sale, under $1k, in TN, and on the internet. I understand that these dealers get stupid liberals and anti-gunners trying to get them to do or say things that would further their cause but I am pretty sure I don't have any Obama, Holder, Clinton, or Brady tattoos showing.

2) Is it possible to LEGALLY build an AR rifle into a full-auto weapon by purchasing parts and installing them? IE trigger group, bolt, etc.

b. If not, who do you recommend I go talk to about the LEGAL purchase of a built rifle?

I am not a troll so no lectures please. I am looking for simple, straight-forward advice and am just tired of people being jerks about it.

1. Yes

2. No. But you can switch out uppers, and I'm pretty sure you can change the stocks too but I'm not 100% sure on that one.

Guys,

1) Is my basic understanding correct? Yes.

Steps to purchasing NFA items (Cliff Notes Version)

1. Find a NFA item you wish to purchase

2. Pay for it (most sellers require from 50 to 100% payment to start the paperwork)

3. Complete all required documents (Form 4, pics, sigs, prints, etc)

4. Completed Form 4 is sent to ATF-NFA with your check for 200.00

5. Wait. (90-120 days)

No.

You can not, and should not "build" any title I rifle into a full-auto weapon.

Is it physically possible? Yes.

Will you go to prison if caught? Yes.

There are no new "builds" since the only select fire weapons available for you to purchase would have been made and registered prior to 1986.

Any experienced and qualified NFA dealer should be able to discuss your purchase options with you, identify the best item to match your budget, and source said item for you.

*Expect to pay 10k+ for a legal select fire AR

I dont think it can be explained any better then what Joe did. If you are serious about getting into NFA stuff you really need to go and talk to your local class 3 dealer. You can read on the internet until you are blue in the face but a lot of the info you find is not correct. Talk to someone who deals in NFA stuff eveyday and you will get good information. Even if it means making a trip up to Hero Gear. You are going to have at least $9000+ in a full auto AR style rifle, you dont want some guy who does one NFA item every 5 years in charge of your transfer and your investment. Go talk to a good dealer and save yourself alot of trouble.

-Jason G

Guest tmorelli

Thanks for all the responses.

Joe, I am going to come see you. I live near Memphis but am from Fayetteville and travel home to turkey hunt- so look out for a guy with a lot of questions sometime during turkey season!