HB 0962 Amendments--have you all read them?

Guest justme

Guest justme

I am particularly frustrated with Amendment 12 and 14 which reads:

AMEND Senate Bill No. 1127 House Bill No. 962*

HA0105

-1-

By adding the following new subdivision to subdivision (3):

(D) If a person enters a restaurant that is not age-restricted as defined in subdivision © and is not posted pursuant to § 39-17-1359, between eleven o'clock p.m. (11:00 p.m.) and five o'clock a.m.(5:00 a.m.), leaves the restaurant, and then attempts to reenter the restaurant, it is the duty of the restaurant manager on duty at the time, or an employee of the restaurant, to search the person to determine if the person is carrying a firearm.

AMEND S enate Bill No. 1127 House Bill No. 962*

(D) At least six (6) times per year, the law enforcement agency in which a restaurant that is not age-restricted as defined in subdivision © and is not posted pursuant to § 39-17-1359, is located, shall conduct a random inspection of the restaurant at some time between eleven o'clock p.m. (11:00 p.m.) and five o'clock a.m.(5:00 a.m.), to determine if any person in the restaurant is unlawfully carrying a firearm.

SO now you can be searched without your consent in violation of the 4th Amendment just because you are in a restaurant after a certain time period? They just shot themselves in the foot by opening the state, AND the restaurants involved up to expensive and costly civil rights lawsuits the very first time a restaurant owner searches an individual, OR the first time a police officer tries to search a person absent any articulable PC that the person(s) is/are in the process of committing a crime or are about to do so...

Those "people" in Nashville are just brilliant...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

I can definately understand the frustrations on the ammendments, but I think for most people it won't really affect them. I'm asleep or at home by 10pm most nights anyway.

I know it's the "principle" and fact that our basic ammendments are being pulled on, but I won't be eating at any place at 11pm or later, so I'm just happy I can at least eat out now (or soon to be) at places that serve booze and carry.

Guest db99wj
I can definately understand the frustrations on the ammendments, but I think for most people it won't really affect them. I'm asleep or at home by 10pm most nights anyway.

I know it's the "principle" and fact that our basic ammendments are being pulled on, but I won't be eating at any place at 11pm or later, so I'm just happy I can at least eat out now (or soon to be) at places that serve booze and carry.

I'm in that same boat. I made a point about this elsewhere, what about the folks that work, lets say 2nd shift. They get off around midnight, starving. They go out and grab something to eat before they head home...They would need to disarm at a time, quite frankly, I would definitely want to be armed at. At night. This is great, but it does kinda mess them up.

i guess they are thinking that at 11pm, our guns are going to grow legs and start shooting. it was posted in another thread and it described it best. baby steps.

be glad we are not in virginia where the house voted a bill that lets lawyers carry concealed in bars and what not, AND they can drink while carrying. it has sparked a giant outrage for two reasons: the carrying and drinking, and drinking and concealed. they voted down allowing conceal carry there, but you can open carry in a bar. but it is a crime for the permit holder in virginia to carry and drink. sorry for the hijack, read more at the link below.

NRA-ILA :: Virginia: General Assembly to Meet Wednesday to Override Governor?s Vetoes!

I am particularly frustrated with Amendment 12 and 14 which reads:

AMEND Senate Bill No. 1127 House Bill No. 962*

HA0105

-1-

(D) If a person enters a restaurant that is not age-restricted as defined in subdivision © and is not posted pursuant to § 39-17-1359, between eleven o'clock p.m. (11:00 p.m.) and five o'clock a.m.(5:00 a.m.), leaves the restaurant, and then attempts to reenter the restaurant, it is the duty of the restaurant manager on duty at the time, or an employee of the restaurant, to search the person to determine if the person is carrying a firearm.

AMEND S enate Bill No. 1127 House Bill No. 962*

(D) At least six (6) times per year, the law enforcement agency in which a restaurant that is not age-restricted as defined in subdivision © and is not posted pursuant to § 39-17-1359, is located, shall conduct a random inspection of the restaurant at some time between eleven o'clock p.m. (11:00 p.m.) and five o'clock a.m.(5:00 a.m.), to determine if any person in the restaurant is unlawfully carrying a firearm.

SO now you can be searched without your consent in violation of the 4th Amendment just because you are in a restaurant after a certain time period? They just shot themselves in the foot by opening the state, AND the restaurants involved up to expensive and costly civil rights lawsuits the very first time a restaurant owner searches an individual, OR the first time a police officer tries to search a person absent any articulable PC that the person(s) is/are in the process of committing a crime or are about to do so...

Those "people" in Nashville are just brilliant...

Has anyone even looked at these amendments and considered the fact that these would have been great steps to deter criminals...but now they want to impose them to restrict a law abiding permit holder? Funny :tinfoil:, they look at legislation and these amendments in an effort to "control" the right...but never considered them when trying to control crime..

Guest justme
Has anyone even looked at these amendments and considered the fact that these would have been great steps to deter criminals...but now they want to impose them to restrict a law abiding permit holder? Funny :lol:, they look at legislation and these amendments in an effort to "control" the right...but never considered them when trying to control crime..

Of course--I have often considered this one aspect--laws are aimed not at the criminal of society, but at the law abiding person. It is that way with the "Patriot Act", it is that way with the National Firearms Act, it is that way with every law--they aim them at the law abiding person instead of focusing on the criminals of society...

Personally and I know it is somewhat off-topic, but I would be all for the repeal of the NFA...think of the possibilities: You drive through a gang infested neighborhood where the people live in fear and where drugs and the gangs are causing havoc, and a truck drives up-just an ordinary pickup truck with a minigun mounted to the bed on a swivel stand and a person riding in the back....:poop:

Or allowing the people to take home the latest G36 or an AK-74u, MP-5 or an M4 at a reasonable price at your nearest gun store...criminals would again cringe in fear, and I would be willing to bet money that the criminals would find a new line of work quickly...We could call it the institution of a radical, new, and effective criminal control measure....:poop:

All the amendments except Number 1 either failed, were tabled or withdrawn. The bill that passed did not have any of them.

There were all attempts to either kill the bill or make it practically useless.

I believe that is why none of them passed.

So seems like a bit of a moot point.

I watched the entire vote and all except 3 (I think) were by Hardaway. He had to make little speeches before every little amendment and then withdrew the majority of them. It was really annoying.

Guest JHatmaker
I'm in that same boat. I made a point about this elsewhere, what about the folks that work, lets say 2nd shift. They get off around midnight, starving. They go out and grab something to eat before they head home...They would need to disarm at a time, quite frankly, I would definitely want to be armed at. At night. This is great, but it does kinda mess them up.

Yeah, that's true, I forgot about late night shift workers.