Naifeh: What a class ass!

Lawmakers: Gun Talk Overriding Real Issues - Nashville News Story - WSMV Nashville

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A plan to allow guns to mix with alcohol is gaining steam again. The state House has voted overwhelmingly to allow Tennesseans with carry permits to pack heat in restaurants that serve.

But some lawmakers have said this back-and-forth over bullets is overrunning the real issues.

"Law-abiding citizens, the gun owners of this state, the people who have permits in this state respect the law," said Rep. Mike Bell of Riceville.

The House voted to keep an 11 p.m. curfew, meaning that if a gun holder is still in the restaurant, he or she has to take the gun out.

While it wasn't enough to convince everyone this is a good idea, it was enough for 70 votes.

"I believe more in my chiefs of police, my sheriffs and my DAs than I do the NRA," said Speaker Emeritus Jimmy Naifeh of Covington.

"It's a bill that gives the legitimate gun right owners the chance to be able to carry their weapons into a restaurant and protect them and their family when they come out," Rep. Curry Todd of Collierville said.

This is the third floor session in a row where gun laws have dominated the debate. Some lawmakers think that's too much time spent on guns and not enough time on the things that affect all people in Tennessee.

"We've passed several gun bills," said Rep. Mike Turner of Old Hickory, "and I don't think there's too many more coming through, but we need to get down to concentrating on things that matter to Tennesseans -- education, jobs, you know, making sure they've got a roof over their heads."

The Senate judiciary committee is scheduled to hear testimony on this bill Wednesday. There's talk that the Senate may strip the curfew from the bill, which would have to be approved on the House side.

Meanwhile, a House committee will consider bills to allow guns in state and local parks Tuesday.

Let's invoke the titles of political appointees to make our point of view seem more valid! Yeah, right! :lol:

Edited by SWJewellTN
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While it wasn't enough to convince everyone this is a good idea, it was enough for 70 votes.

"I believe more in my chiefs of police, my sheriffs and my DAs than I do the NRA,"

Geez I hate this man...never mind the fact that, by saying this, he totally blows off the voter as a non entity.

I had e-mailed several times both my state Senator and State rep about the bills currently under consideration. I received the following e-mail from Rep. Gary Moore. Look at the No list. If any of those are representing you, then perhaps you might want to get their attention.

We passed this in the House last night, please see below.

HB0962 by Todd - FLOOR VOTE: AS AMENDED PASSAGE ON THIRD CONSIDERATION 4/6/2009

Passed

Ayes...............................................70

Noes...............................................26

Representatives voting aye were: Barker, Bass, Bell, Borchert, Brooks H, Brooks K, Campfield, Carr, Casada, Cobb C, Cobb T, Coleman, Coley, Curtiss, Dean, Dennis, Dunn, Eldridge, Evans, Faulkner, Ferguson, Fincher, Floyd, Ford, Fraley, Hackworth, Halford, Harrison, Hawk, Haynes, Hensley, Hill, Johnson C, Johnson P, Kelsey, Litz, Lollar, Lundberg, Lynn, Maddox, Maggart, Matheny, Matlock, McCord, McCormick, McDaniel, McDonald, McManus, Montgomery, Moore, Mumpower, Niceley, Odom, Ramsey, Rich, Roach, Rowland, Sargent, Shepard, Shipley, Swafford, Tidwell, Tindell, Todd, Watson, Weaver, Windle, Winningham, Yokley, Mr. Speaker Williams -- 70.

Representatives voting no were: Armstrong, Bone, Brown, Camper, Cobb J, Cooper, DeBerry J, DeBerry L, Favors, Gilmore, Hardaway, Harmon, Harwell, Jones S, Jones U, Kernell, Miller, Naifeh, Pitts, Richardson, Shaw, Sontany, Stewart, Towns, Turner L, Turner M -- 26.

I had e-mailed several times both my state Senator and State rep about the bills currently under consideration. I received the following e-mail from Rep. Gary Moore. Look at the No list. If any of those are representing you, then perhaps you might want to get their attention.

Passed

Representatives voting aye were: Barker, Bass, Bell, Borchert, Brooks H, Brooks K, Campfield, Carr, Casada, Cobb C, Cobb T, Coleman, Coley, Curtiss, Dean, Dennis, Dunn, Eldridge, Evans, Faulkner, Ferguson, Fincher, Floyd, Ford, Fraley, Hackworth, Halford, Harrison, Hawk, Haynes, Hensley, Hill, Johnson C, Johnson P, Kelsey, Litz, Lollar, Lundberg, Lynn, Maddox, Maggart, Matheny, Matlock, McCord, McCormick, McDaniel, McDonald, McManus, Montgomery, Moore, Mumpower, Niceley, Odom, Ramsey, Rich, Roach, Rowland, Sargent, Shepard, Shipley, Swafford, Tidwell, Tindell, Todd, Watson, Weaver, Windle, Winningham, Yokley, Mr. Speaker Williams -- 70.

Representatives voting no were: Armstrong, Bone, Brown, Camper, Cobb J, Cooper, DeBerry J, DeBerry L, Favors, Gilmore, Hardaway, Harmon, Harwell, Jones S, Jones U, Kernell, Miller, Naifeh, Pitts, Richardson, Shaw, Sontany, Stewart, Towns, Turner L, Turner M -- 26.

Somewhat surprised that Mr. Speaker Williams went against Speaker Emeritus Naifeh.

Somewhat surprised that Mr. Speaker Williams went against Speaker Emeritus Naifeh.

And a lot of people here were in an uproar when Williams became speaker. Seems he is a free spirit and wants to do what is right. Of course if this issue was on the ballot in a general election I fully expect it would lose by a landslide. Thats the great thing about this country and our form of goverment. The majority do not always have their way. Right can beat wrong in spite of what the majority thinks is right or wrong. Hmmm, I think this is what the founders of the country intended.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Guest billwilly73

I like this part.........

"We've passed several gun bills," said Rep. Mike Turner of Old Hickory, "and I don't think there's too many more coming through, but we need to get down to concentrating on things that matter to Tennesseans -- education, jobs, you know, making sure they've got a roof over their heads."

How about helping us make sure we have a head to put under a roof???

Guest SUNTZU

The Roof Act of '09 allows any quivering, crapping, keening sack of organs to have a roof over their head regardless of race, creed, or color. Yippee! Hooray! Somebody hand me a doughnut!

Passed

Everyone...Listen up.

Be sure to either "thank" or "express your anger" to how your respective rep voted. In my case it won't be a "thanks"...

Guest HexHead

Passed

I got the same email from Gary, thanking me when I told him he could count on my vote come reelection time. :koolaid:

And believe me, it takes a lot for me to vote for a Democrat. LOLOLOL

Guest db99wj
And a lot of people here were in an uproar when Williams became speaker. Seems he is a free spirit and wants to do what is right. Of course if this issue was on the ballot in a general election I fully expect it would lose by a landslide. Thats the great thing about this country and our form of goverment. The majority do not always have their way. Right can beat wrong in spite of what the majority thinks is right or wrong. Hmmm, I think this is what the founders of the country intended.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

You are correct, many, including myself didn't (still don't) like Speaker Williams. I think he is an underhanded, backstabbing, asshat for how he got the Speaker position. I was expecting the worse from him and I have been surprised. He still appears to be a pompous elitist asshat due to the way he acts and the condescending tone he has when he talks to people, especially Jr. members. :koolaid:

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Naifeh is a complete pandering political profiteer and is only interested in fighting for his agenda and the agenda of the lobby groups that support him. he has no interest at all in what the voters want. It is obvious by the way he always talks about the politically appointed "Police Chiefs" etc... when he is arguing against our second amendment rights.

However, it appears that even he and his group of west TN suck-ups could not shut down the restaurant legislation this time around.