CMP3006N "CMP Match" Ammo - Any Intel On This Stuff ?

Apparently branded and offered by CMP in the early 2000s before the HXP days. Anyone have an feedback about how it shot? Not much I can find online about it other than some folks claim it was Federal "seconds" and not actually Match ammo at all. Some folks not impressed, other pleased. I plan to use it mainly in my 03A3.

30-06 CMP Federal White Box 1.jpeg

30-06 CMP Fedral White Box 2.jpeg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This could be from the lots that were not accepted as the official lot for the championship. Back in the day, several lots were produced and then a single lot was accepted to be used in the national match. I had a box, for instance, of the accepted lot from 1968. I’m just speculating.

I ended up getting two cases of this stuff for the same price as the latest 1969 M2 Ball offering.  It is beyond difficult to transact business via the CMP estore nowadays, no one takes calls, returns vmails or responds to email (for weeks) and good grief, the CMP Forums is an absolute train wreck since the update they did last year.  Basically broken and if it did work it's so out of standard and difficult to sub-navigate.  Such a shame.  I really enjoyed all the traffic and learned so much over there, over the years.  Other than the Market Place it seems virtually dead these days.

45 minutes ago, GS455 said:

I ended up getting two cases of this stuff for the same price as the latest 1969 M2 Ball offering.  It is beyond difficult to transact business via the CMP estore nowadays, no one takes calls, returns vmails or responds to email (for weeks) and good grief, the CMP Forums is an absolute train wreck since the update they did last year.  Basically broken and if it did work it's so out of standard and difficult to sub-navigate.  Such a shame.  I really enjoyed all the traffic and learned so much over there, over the years.  Other than the Market Place it seems virtually dead these days.

I haven’t been to the CMP site in a long time. I just got back on another site that I’ve been a member of for well over a decade. Shame on me for being away so long but, life happens. That place is a virtual ghost town now. I couldn’t believe it and didn’t have the heart to message the admin to ask why.

I have no inside information on this ammo, but I'll make an educated guess that it's loaded to M2 ball velocity and pressure specs., using appropriate burning rate powder like 4895.  It's probably just ammo that the Garand was designed to function with.  Some 150 grain hunting ammo is loaded with powders that are slower than 4895 in order to increase velocity.  Slow powders are said to possibly damage Garand operating rods.

It's probably called Garand Match because the CMP sanctioned Garand matches at gun clubs for shooters using Garands and Springfield rifles; not because it would shoot tiny groups in match tuned bolt guns, although a quality boat tail bullet might help at longer ranges.  I doubt it's "seconds" because marketing subpar ammo would not benefit anyone involved, and I doubt it was priced like seconds.