Turkey Season Progress

Guest clutepc

Guest Jcochran88

Jasonturkey.jpgFinally Scored!! Well sorta, went to parents farm to get some tools. Was sitting on the porch talking to my mom when in the field in the back yard 3 toms stepped out. Went back in got dad's shotgun and eased down the edge of the field using cedar trees as cover. BANG!!! 35 yards, funny thing is I ahve been hunting real hard this year and was drawing a blank for the season. This bird was killed wearing what I had on in the picture. Its amazing that they didn't see me.

27.5 lbs, 12 innch beard, and 1 1/2 inch spurs!!!

turkeyspurIMG00155.jpg

Edited by Jcochran88
add pictures
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jcochran88
I warned him this was coming but THIS is how he hunts the rest of the time!

McFlurry stalking the birds!!!

DSCF0002-1.jpg

Hey when you invite someone down to hunt then don't feed them to after 1100 pm, it's hard to stay awake. Besides It was past my nap time!!

Guest Jcochran88
Holy McAmbush, McFlurry!!!

Nice thunderchicken! Now we have to get Buh one. We going Saturday?

As long as the sun still plans on coming up!!!!

Guest clutepc

Well I finally got a shot at a bird today ... and ....I choked..lol

I worked the two birds for 3 hours that have been working me over the past couple of weeks and I did the opposite of what I had been doing.

I only called once every half hour and kept kicking around in the leaves..

They finally came in and were walking to the decoy.

I should have waited a little longer but I thought I would get busted, that and my heart rate was about to top off.., so I took the shot.

I've never shot at anything other than targets before.. big big difference shooting at a live target...lol

The one thing I'm glad I did was just give him hair cut, I checked around for any blood and on my arrow and it was clean.

I'd rather miss clean than to wound a bird. It was a Jake but still would have been nice..

My next question is what are the chances are they will come back to that same location again.

This is a trail the hens use everyday and they follow them along the trail.

If I wasn't hooked before I am now.

Guest Jcochran88
Well I finally got a shot at a bird today ... and ....I choked..lol

I worked the two birds for 3 hours that have been working me over the past couple of weeks and I did the opposite of what I had been doing.

I only called once every half hour and kept kicking around in the leaves..

They finally came in and were walking to the decoy.

I should have waited a little longer but I thought I would get busted, that and my heart rate was about to top off.., so I took the shot.

I've never shot at anything other than targets before.. big big difference shooting at a live target...lol

The one thing I'm glad I did was just give him hair cut, I checked around for any blood and on my arrow and it was clean.

I'd rather miss clean than to wound a bird. It was a Jake but still would have been nice..

My next question is what are the chances are they will come back to that same location again.

This is a trail the hens use everyday and they follow them along the trail.

If I wasn't hooked before I am now.

It happens to every one! Don't worry they will be back, I have seen them come back within the hour so you should be fine.

Guest clutepc
It happens to every one! Don't worry they will be back, I have seen them come back within the hour so you should be fine.

Great..I think the only thing that spooked them was my arrow going into a tree behind him..lol

I may try again tomorrow then, I know the hens will take the path again and they are usually not far behind.

Maybe I can't calm down a little next time before the shot. :D

Guest sharpshooter01

They should come back. Take a deep breath and pick a spot, then post us some pics!

I have enjoyed following your progress this season. I can almost see the outcome. I expect to hear something like, "The last day of the season I finally got my bird". Good luck!!

Well it took belly crawling across a wheat field and help from some deer that spooked when they almost stepped on me, but I finally got one.

turkey.jpg

I am having the same problems as everyone else. Too many hens and the toms just won't come to a call. I got this bird in the afternoon and only because I went to the birds. Good Luck everyone.

Guest clutepc
Well it took belly crawling across a wheat field and help from some deer that spooked when they almost stepped on me, but I finally got one.

turkey.jpg

I am having the same problems as everyone else. Too many hens and the toms just won't come to a call. I got this bird in the afternoon and only because I went to the birds. Good Luck everyone.

Nice!!! What did he weigh?

Guest clutepc

I went out again today in the pouring rain and everyone was right.

They came back to the same place at the same time, almost down to the minute.

They wouldn't come in range because they had hens with them this time.

Again great advice from everyone here!

Hope to post some pictures soon...

Nice!!! What did he weigh?

He was only 16 pounds. He had just over 1 inch spurs. His beard wasn't very long due to mites or fungus or breakage, not sure the reason, but there were several 11 inch strands and the rest was worn off at about 4 inches. The ends of the broken off beard was blond. Does anyone know what causes this?

Guest Mugster
He was only 16 pounds. He had just over 1 inch spurs. His beard wasn't very long due to mites or fungus or breakage, not sure the reason, but there were several 11 inch strands and the rest was worn off at about 4 inches. The ends of the broken off beard was blond. Does anyone know what causes this?

I think its fungus. The beard basically weakens and falls apart leaving that end like you saw it. My theory is its worse in wetter years, but I have nothing to prove that with.

There are some other ideas, some plausible and some crazier than others.

Turkey's will be Turkey's, The longer you hunt them the more you will find out about

them. Theirs one thing for sure, you never know what they are going to do. Patience

is the Key. If their is one thing about Turkey Hunting that I have Learned, it is Patience.

They have no set time to be or go any where & the Weather does effects the Gobblin

& some times if a bird has gobbled a lot the day before, He may not gobble much the

next day. Hunting Pressure & Predator's do in fact effect gobblin.

This year the Weather has been a big factor. Bird's gobble less & they are henned up

big time. I like to make Settup's were bird's like to feed or spend a lot of time, just

doing what Turkey's do. Eating & Resting, Try always to make a bird fill safe comeing

to your settup & listen to Crow's, Bird's, Deer, Squirrel & ever thing else in the woods

for a give-a-way. Sometimes little things pay big. If the bird's don't say much, it's

better that you don't. Call ever now & then, but if the bird's or Yepping & Gobblin,

Pour the Calling on until all is lost. Most of the time a Hunter can control a Hunt, but

it takes a bird to make a Harvest. Happy Hunting & Good Luck Too All !

Had the last 4 days off and couldn't even hunt. I have a few spots I turkey hunt and all but 2 require you to drive across a creek. The only problem is that the creeks in Perry County where all flooded. I couldn't even visit my mom until Sunday night due to Brush Creek running over their bridge and thats one of the spots I hunt. The other spots where a field and it looked like a lake. I decided to go fishing on the TN river and it wasn't that bad. It was up but not like the Buffalo River. Me and my friend John did catch some yellow bass and catfish on Saturday and then on Sunday the river was up and the catfish were not biting. So much for turkey season. Will not be able to go this last week of it.

Guest Jcochran88

Went out this afternoon with my brother in law. First farm we hunted we had a big tom, a jake, and 3 hens. Tom and Jake both stayed in the field about 60 to 70 yards away(Tom was strutting and gobbling for over and hour) one of the hens came in to about 5 yards and then walked behind us. When she got behind us she spooked and alarm putted and the tom went dead away from us.

So we loaded up and went to my parents farm( The Crust). Had 9 jakes, a bearded hen, and 1 large Tom. I stayed back and he worked his way to within 75 yards in an old creek bed. I started calling and here they all come. They got to within 40 yards and out of no where a hen behind us putted and they started to go away. He Shoots and He misses. But hey we where covered up with birds and ticks. Maybe try to get one again before season closes.