House Judiciary Today 5/6/09

I don't understand why all of these bills are being considered today since most of them seem to already be covered in other bills that are moving through the legislature or have been shelved. But this is the entire calendar for today's committee meeting at 12:00 (Nashville time)

Tennessee General Assembly Calendar

1. HB1801 by *West. (*SB1615 by *Beavers.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, provides that "handgun carry permit" may be used interchangeably with "weapon carry permit" where applicable, thereby imposing any rights or duties that apply to persons with a handgun carry permit to persons who carry a lawful weapon. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB1801 as introduced.

2. HB1805 by *West. (*SB1619 by *Beavers.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, exempts holder of handgun carry permit from prohibition against carrying a firearm in any public park, playground, civic center, or other public recreational area or facility. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB1805 as introduced.

3. HB1806 by *West. (*SB1622 by *Beavers.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, allows non-student adult who has a permit to carry a handgun to carry gun onto school grounds if gun remains within private vehicle and is not handled by the adult or a person acting with the adult's consent. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Summary for HB1806

4. HB1807 by *West. (*SB0576 by *Jackson.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, allows person who has permit to carry a handgun to carry gun in place where alcohol is served for consumption on premises if person is not consuming alcohol or is not otherwise prohibited by posting provisions. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Summary for HB1807

5. HB1808 by *West, *Fincher. (*SB1620 by *Beavers.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, extends from 60 to 90 days the amount of time that a permit holder has to notify the department of safety that the holder's address has changed. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17.

The Abstract summarizes HB1808 as introduced.

6. HB1809 by *West, *Fincher. (*SB1621 by *Beavers.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, clarifies that rules concerning weapons shall be subject to review by the house and senate government operations committees. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB1809 as introduced.

7. HB1700 by *Watson. (*SB0518 by *McNally, *Woodson, *Burchett.)

Criminal Procedure - As introduced, enacts the "Exclusionary Rule Reform Act." - Amends TCA Title 24, Chapter 7 and Title 40, Chapter 17.

Summary for HB1700

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pws_smokeyjones
I don't understand why all of these bills are being considered today since most of them seem to already be covered in other bills that are moving through the legislature or have been shelved. But this is the entire calendar for today's committee meeting at 12:00 (Nashville time)

Tennessee General Assembly Calendar

1. HB1801 by *West. (*SB1615 by *Beavers.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, provides that "handgun carry permit" may be used interchangeably with "weapon carry permit" where applicable, thereby imposing any rights or duties that apply to persons with a handgun carry permit to persons who carry a lawful weapon. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB1801 as introduced.

2. HB1805 by *West. (*SB1619 by *Beavers.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, exempts holder of handgun carry permit from prohibition against carrying a firearm in any public park, playground, civic center, or other public recreational area or facility. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB1805 as introduced.

3. HB1806 by *West. (*SB1622 by *Beavers.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, allows non-student adult who has a permit to carry a handgun to carry gun onto school grounds if gun remains within private vehicle and is not handled by the adult or a person acting with the adult's consent. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Summary for HB1806

4. HB1807 by *West. (*SB0576 by *Jackson.)

Handgun Permits - As introduced, allows person who has permit to carry a handgun to carry gun in place where alcohol is served for consumption on premises if person is not consuming alcohol or is not otherwise prohibited by posting provisions. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Summary for HB1807

5. HB1808 by *West, *Fincher. (*SB1620 by *Beavers.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, extends from 60 to 90 days the amount of time that a permit holder has to notify the department of safety that the holder's address has changed. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17.

The Abstract summarizes HB1808 as introduced.

6. HB1809 by *West, *Fincher. (*SB1621 by *Beavers.)

Firearms and Ammunition - As introduced, clarifies that rules concerning weapons shall be subject to review by the house and senate government operations committees. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

The Abstract summarizes HB1809 as introduced.

7. HB1700 by *Watson. (*SB0518 by *McNally, *Woodson, *Burchett.)

Criminal Procedure - As introduced, enacts the "Exclusionary Rule Reform Act." - Amends TCA Title 24, Chapter 7 and Title 40, Chapter 17.

Summary for HB1700

HB1806 is the one that really confuses me. someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was already legal to keep your firearm in your car and not handle it when on school property (like dropping the kids off for school etc...) if you are an HCP holder.

Bill Summary

HB1806

Present law makes it an offense for a person to possess or carry a firearm not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in or on any school building, bus, or grounds or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. The offense is a Class B misdemeanor, unless committed with an intent to go armed, in which case it is a Class E felony.

Under present law, the Class B misdemeanor offense does not apply if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property. This bill adds that the Class E felony offense also does not apply in such circumstances; however, under this bill, the exception will only apply to the offenses if the person has a handgun carry permit.

What about the one that would allow you to have a handgun (if you have a HCP) locked up in your car/truck while on company property? The place I work at Bridgestone/Firestone Tire plant in Lavernge, TN. Signed posted No Firearms Allowed on Company Property. If they search your car/truck and find a firearm. Guees what? I get fired! So I leave it at home. Can't afford to lose my job. Been there 32 years. That is one law I really want to see change. I know that some states have a law that allows you to have it locked in your vehicle while on company property. Thanks, gearyr

Guest benchpresspower
The first six bills in the OP were rolled to next year.

?????????? So we're screwed on the restaraunt carry?????????

Guest smithandwesson
What about the one that would allow you to have a handgun (if you have a HCP) locked up in your car/truck while on company property? The place I work at Bridgestone/Firestone Tire plant in Lavernge, TN. Signed posted No Firearms Allowed on Company Property. If they search your car/truck and find a firearm. Guees what? I get fired! So I leave it at home. Can't afford to lose my job. Been there 32 years. That is one law I really want to see change. I know that some states have a law that allows you to have it locked in your vehicle while on company property. Thanks, gearyr

Why would they search your car? would you let them?

Guest joeharris
Why would they search your car? would you let them?

If those SOB's want to search your car they will! The call a K-9 unit and then say Rover smelled something and then search and you cant do :poop: about it! Ask me how i know, they found nothing even though Rover smelled something (alledgedly)!;)

If it's on their property they can search it.

Is it - "they can search it" - or is it - "they can ask to search it"? That is, does the owner of a parking lot actually have the power to force you to allow a search?

Is it - "they can search it" - or is it - "they can ask to search it"? That is, does the owner of a parking lot actually have the power to force you to allow a search?

It's they CAN search it. The 4th amendment only applies to government. Once you enter someone's land, you give up your search right. Kinda wish it were not that way, but it is what it is.

Matthew

Guest 270win

A property owner cannot force his way in your vehicle. That is called breaking and entering. You have the power not to unlock your car/give them keys to get in your car. You would probably be fired...but I still wouldn't let anyone dig through my car.

Guest jos2f

It also depends on what the person has signed with the company. I signed so many things on my first day at the job, I'm sure somewhere on there it said "you agree to everything in the employee handbook, sign here:" And in the handbook it says "we reserve the right to search vehicles on the property if we suspect such and such and such.

Therefore, if you agreed to that in writing, they can do whatever they want.

On the other hand, a McDonalds employee can't straight up search your car since you're on their company owned property

Well, how does a sign that says, "by entering this property you consent to searches" work? And I would bet that if you did sign something when first employed, that provision is in there.

I'd say that if your not an employee that's signed something, but a sign like above is posted, that if you refused a search, then they request you to leave asap.

The whole problem with ANY of this is that for some reason people think law abiding citizens are the ones who are going to go crazy and start shooting people. Maybe if these people focused on keeping drunk drivers off the road instead of crazy, stupid gun laws, we'd have less deaths each day.

Matthew