A Sporting Man Shows His Hand

I am posting the pic below to remind folks that the Ruger Bearcat is not a "toy" copy of the Colt SAA. I have been remanded (not on this forum) by friends that they can't figure out why I bought a "Kid's" Single Action.

The Bearcat is a full sized gun based on the very popular Remington Pocket Revolvers of the 1860s and 1870s. This gun was as popular in the East as the Colt SAA was in the west. The smaller size better fit the dress of the Eastern Gentleman and the Mississippi River "Sporting Man." As its Ruger descendent still does today. So I have posed it in its "Grandpappy's" element.

B3EEDC8F6FAB4E0EB1DD212ABF4E058F.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bearcat is a small full-sized gun. Nevertheless, I think it's one of the greatest .22 SA's ever. My mom has an "original" bought at a gas station over in West Memphis in the '60's (pre-68). She won't let me even touch it! I might just try to make off with it. :poop:

SWEET.. Reminds me of my Cowboy getup as a kid. Makes sense why it'd be called a toy... From back when we could have GOOD toys. But look at it this way.. If they designed toys back in the day to look like em, must've been somethin awfully good. (Back before capguns, m80's, and yard darts were BAD)

i have known people who call all .22's "toy guns"

that is a very nice gun, is it yours? if so, any close up pics of the engraving on the cylinder, looks intricate

Yup. It is my carry around the yard and on country walks gun. The engraving is standard, comes that way from the factory. Engraving is a bear and a bobcat. It is also the grandkids favorite when they come to visit. I really think the Bearcat was one of Bill Ruger's greatest works.

Wild Turkey Special Reserve in the glass. I don't drink much and I don't drink often, but I do drink good stuff!

Edited by wjh2657
Guest Centennial

I love the Ruger Bearcat revolver. When Ruger re-introduced them back in 1993 (IIRC) I ordered one in my local gun shop. I still have that handy little handgun and it is a favorite for woods bumming.