Carrying Full Size 1911

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anyone here carrying a full size 1911 concealed,if you are how are you handling that much weight on your hip,doesnt it get real uncomfortable??:poop:

I carry full size as well as commander 1911's, I use Milt Sparks Versa Max 2, IWB holsters and to be honest barely know that it is there. They are that comfortable to me :cool:

1. usev good holster. I use a TT Gunleather iinstead of waiting forever for a Milt Sparks

2. get a GOOD gunbelt...not a "normal" belt

3.(inside the wasteband) buy your pants 1 or 2 sizes larger than normal

I carry a full size 1911 inside the waistband all day, every day. No problems at all

The belt you hang it on is every bit as important as the holster. Don't skimp, get a good belt made for carrying a holstered gun! No heavy duty Wally World crap!

Wow,I guess a lot of you do,I have a Crossbreed Supertuck for my Mill Pro I use daily,I tried walking around for awhile with my 1911 in the same maker for a 1911 but seemed so heavy,I use a Beltmann Bullhide belt,maybe I will have to just try it once in awhile.

I often carry a full size 1911 IWB. I have Galco belts and a variety of nice holsters. Truth be told, the full size 1911s can get heavy by the end of the day. I've got a Kimber light(er) weight commander size that doesn't have that same cumulative effect.

The belt you hang it on is every bit as important as the holster. Don't skimp, get a good belt made for carrying a holstered gun! No heavy duty Wally World crap!

Absolutely, I failed to mention that I use a Milt Sparks shark skin belt as well, this makes a HUGE difference the long waiting list Milt Sparks has is for a Very Very good reason, excellence! :poop:

Edited by willis68
Guest MEC

I have been carrying my full size 1911 for about the last six months. The weight doesn't really bother me. A good belt is very important, I wish I had realized this earlier, holster has not been that important, I use a cheap flap style IWB most of the time. My only real complaint is the mainspring housing digs into my side occasionally and prints quite often. I really like the 1911 and the slimness makes it pretty comfotable but I am seriously thinking about a commander with a bobtail.

I have been carrying my full size 1911 for about the last six months. The weight doesn't really bother me. A good belt is very important, I wish I had realized this earlier, holster has not been that important, I use a cheap flap style IWB most of the time. My only real complaint is the mainspring housing digs into my side occasionally and prints quite often. I really like the 1911 and the slimness makes it pretty comfotable but I am seriously thinking about a commander with a bobtail.

A Bobtail Commander in my opinion is the way to go. I can conceal them better than any other hand gun that I would carry :up:

I often carry a full size 1911. I use a Blackhawk Serpa holster. I think the size of the paddle helps to even out the weight of the gun. I do however have to wear a unbuttoned shirt over a T-shirt to keep it from printing. I can't get used to the idea of IWB holsters.

I carry a Para P14 that is a bit bigger than a full size 1911. Comp-tac MTAC and kydex reinforced belt.

The belt is more important than the holster. It keeps it from sagging and pulling. Once you have won that battle the weight is a non issue.

-Mike

Guest grimel
Not as comfortable as a glock, but with a proper gunbelt and quality holster, it's a non-issue.

We have greatly differing ideas of comfortable. My 1911 is about 2/3 (at most) the thickness of a Glock. Much more comfortable stuffed in the waistband.

Guest hickok

The answer is "Yes," it does get uncomfortable for me. I'm accustomed to a G23 or G27. Just today I put my full size Government Model in a belt holster and went plinking around the farm. Compared with my Glocks, I thought I had a fireplug on my hip. I enjoy the 1911, but it's definitely a different affair.

Getting the right belt and holster is critical, as has been mentioned. I know that when I wear a Colt SAA up on my hip in a proper holster, I hardly know it's there. Carrying Glocks will spoil you, though. Actually, for me, shooting them spoiled me long ago. The old 1911's just come out for range play these days.

carry a full size 1911 all the time.... use my Les Baer Monolith Heavyweight from time to time.... Ed Brown Jeff Copper or any of my other 1911's with no problems. I use a nice holster Wayne Webster, from Guns & Leather, Inc made for me.