Please send this fool reporter an email

Guest TN_Mike

Here is the email I sent Scott today......

Scott,

I saw your news broadcast regarding "Bullets in Bars" and I would like to give you my point of view as I have first hand knowledge about the situation and understand the gravity of it all.

I am Nicole Goeser. The widow of Benjamin Felix Goeser. Please read.......

The current legislation before the state of Tennessee is vital to the safety of its citizens. My husband Ben Goeser was murdered right infront of me on April 2nd 2009 at Jonny's Sports Bar in the Nashville area. If I could have been allowed to carry my gun that night (because I do have a permit) perhaps I could have saved him. I can tell you that the odds would have been more in our favor. People that have gone through PROPER TRAINING, A COMPLETE BACKGROUND CHECK, registered their weapon and have the permit should be allowed to carry a concealed gun for their own protection and protection of loved ones as long as they are NOT under the influence of alcohol. Just remember....when seconds count, the police are minutes away. The police got to the sports bar just in enough time to find my husband dead on the floor and me holding his head which was soaked in blood. Please understand, Bad guys don't care about Laws. Let good citizens have the ability to protect themselves and their families from evil individuals with horrible intentions. I never want anyone I love to be a target again. Never again. Proper training is key. Properly trained individuals will not take a risky shot and act irresponsibly, if they do and someone innocent is hurt or killed, they will face justice for it. However, I would like to point out that less than 1% of any gun crimes are ever committed by a permitted individual. Let's face it, look at the DC gun death rate, it is one of the HIGHEST in the country. How can that be if strict gun laws keep us safe? Guns don't kill people, people kill people. There are people that die in car accidents everyday and nobody has ever said "Let's get rid of the cars! Nobody should drive a car even if they have a license!". Putting blame on the gun and preventing good citizens that have a carry permit from protecting themselves only makes innocent people "helpless" and at the mercy of the bad guy. Imagine for one moment the person you love the most in life and imagine that person gunned down infront of you at an O'Charleys or a Ruby Tuesday or a Buffalo Wild Wings. Now imagine that you have a carry permit but because of Tn State Law you have to leave your gun locked in your car. You would have to live with that for the rest of your life. Knowing that you could have saved them but was legislated out of your right to do so. Please be more responsible with your reporting. This Gun Bill is NECESSARY. I know.

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=10123881

Sincerely,

Nicole Renee' Goeser

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Phantom6

I thought the comments left on their website were very telling. This guy is trying to sell vegitarianism in a beef market. I particularly was struck by the woman that lost her husband to a murdering animal and felt that if she had at least been able to carry her firearm into the establishment she and her husband would have had a fighting chance against the criminal that took her husband's life

I thought the comments left on their website were very telling. This guy is trying to sell vegitarianism in a beef market. I particularly was struck by the woman that lost her husband to a murdering animal and felt that if she had at least been able to carry her firearm into the establishment she and her husband would have had a fighting chance against the criminal that took her husband's life

Yes, meet Ms Goeser in the post above yours....

Scott,

I saw your news broadcast regarding "Bullets in Bars" and I would like to give you my point of view as I have first hand knowledge about the situation and understand the gravity of it all.

The current legislation before the state of Tennessee is vital to the safety of its citizens. My husband Ben Goeser was murdered right infront of me on April 2nd 2009 at Jonny's Sports Bar in the Nashville area. If I could have been allowed to carry my gun that night (because I do have a permit) perhaps I could have saved him. I can tell you that the odds would have been more in our favor. People that have gone through PROPER TRAINING, A COMPLETE BACKGROUND CHECK, registered their weapon and have the permit should be allowed to carry a concealed gun for their own protection and protection of loved ones as long as they are NOT under the influence of alcohol. Just remember....when seconds count, the police are minutes away. The police got to the sports bar just in enough time to find my husband dead on the floor and me holding his head which was soaked in blood. Please understand, Bad guys don't care about Laws. Let good citizens have the ability to protect themselves and their families from evil individuals with horrible intentions. I never want anyone I love to be a target again. Never again. Proper training is key. Properly trained individuals will not take a risky shot and act irresponsibly, if they do and someone innocent is hurt or killed, they will face justice for it. However, I would like to point out that less than 1% of any gun crimes are ever committed by a permitted individual. Let's face it, look at the DC gun death rate, it is one of the HIGHEST in the country. How can that be if strict gun laws keep us safe? Guns don't kill people, people kill people. There are people that die in car accidents everyday and nobody has ever said "Let's get rid of the cars! Nobody should drive a car even if they have a license!". Putting blame on the gun and preventing good citizens that have a carry permit from protecting themselves only makes innocent people "helpless" and at the mercy of the bad guy. Imagine for one moment the person you love the most in life and imagine that person gunned down infront of you at an O'Charleys or a Ruby Tuesday or a Buffalo Wild Wings. Now imagine that you have a carry permit but because of Tn State Law you have to leave your gun locked in your car. You would have to live with that for the rest of your life. Knowing that you could have saved them but was legislated out of your right to do so. Please be more responsible with your reporting. This Gun Bill is NECESSARY. I know.

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=10123881

Sincerely,

Nicole Renee' Goeser

Excellent letter ma'am. I'm very sorry for your loss, but thank you for sharing your story and welcome to TGO. :tinfoil:

Guest KWW67

Here is the one I sent last night..............

I hate to break to those opposed, but guns are already in bars. Yep, everyday. Being former law enforcement, I know this well and I fully support the bill. Criminals do not obey laws. Law abiding citizens do. Bottom line. So if it is a gun free zone the law abiding person will comply and the hoodlum will continue to stay armed. So enacting laws that prohibit guns only arm thugs and criminals. It is beyond comprehension that people can not, or in your case choose not to, see that. Have you ever noticed that many mass shooting sprees are done in gun-free zones (schools, gov't bldgs, etc)? But wait, how can that be? They can't have guns in a gun free zone so shootings can't happen, right?! See my point? You are a reporter, so please report the news fairly instead of with an apparent agenda. And if you are going to cover a story, it should be unbiased and fair AFTER all angles are investigated and observed. The modern day news is no longer a reporting agency, but instead an outlet of propaganda and liberal agenda trash. Since we want to be so restrictive nowdays, how about we enact a law against that too!!!

Guest tnvolfan

The best way to reason with him is to invite him to go to a range with you and let him shoot your gun(s). Most folks who've never shot a gun change their mind after they've shot a few rounds in a friendly setting. He needs to see that people who have carry permits aren't hot heads looking for fight in a bar.

Another angle would be to find out which other states allow concealed carry in bars. I'll bet that Texas does - and I'll also bet they don't have too many problems with it either. It's the morons WHO HAVE NO TRAINING NOR PERMIT that cause the problems.

Guest kingtone

i posted earlier on the news website.. then felt compelled to post a better and clearly thought out answer. this is what i posted in that discussion and also emailed to him.

Scott,

after watching your report on 'Bullets in Bars' i felt compelled to write you and email.

Let me paint a picture you fail to even get close to. It is the BALANCED view of something you refuse to acknowledge.

Tonight i attended an outdoor event that had live music. This was an invitation only and private celebration. I had my revolver out of sight in my pocket as i always do. I walked past 2 police officers... one who i think noticed that it 'was a gun in my pocket'... ha.. anyway...

When i got inside the event i discovered that they were supplying alcohol. Unsure what the actual law would require for this situation being it a private event...I left the venue.. walked the 1 mile back to my vehicle and secured my weapon appropriately with a lock and safe out of safe and un-attainable if my car was broken into.

I am a licensed , legal, RESPONSIBLE, sensible and law abiding gun carrier. I obeyed the law. I did not drink while carrying my gun. same as i did not drink because i had to drive home. I drove home UNDER the alcohol and speed limit. My driving and judgement were not impaired. I obeyed the law.. like i have done for 30plus years. The TBI and FBI can prove it... they checked up on me 3 times to get my permit.

I am not a crazed bullet blasting criminal like this news report would like to make me out as. I am not some 'hero' type wanting to save the day if all hell breaks loose. I am not some crazed bedroom commando. I am not a weak minded nervous, trigger happy redneck.

I am a sensible professional hard working man who does not want to become a statistic like our dear friend Nikki Goeser's husband.

I am a smart, people aware, part of this society that will not let criminals rule the streets and keep fear in my heart.

Next time you do a 'story' on this sort of thing.. perhaps try looking at it with a balanced and open view. Your show airs close to 2 states that already allow carry in restaurants. Where are all the horror stories of crazed legal gunmen in the bars? there are none.. because you are creating a view out of personal opinion rather than fact and research.

Guest themark712
wow. I used to like fox. i just lost a lot of respect for them. i love the way they made it out to be a law allowing drunks to carry weapons into bars.

That's what irks me about these stories. They either fail to or only make brief mention of the facts that 1) this law pertains only to HCP holders, who have gone to at least moderate pains to follow the rules and become properly licensed, and 2) the carriers are not permitted to consume. Somehow, those facts always get little to no mention.

And the guy with the 'hero' comment ... LMAO! What a tool.

What I sent.

Dear Mr. Madaus,

I am writing to comment on your news story "Bullets in Bars, Gun Bill Passes".

Bravo, sir

Very well, spoken, ma'am. I read your story last week while doing some research on the bill. I, like the rest of the TGO community, am deeply sorry for your loss. Thank you for your persistence and strength in this debate.

What I sent:

I just watched this obvious “Hit Piece†on the bill to allow law-abiding citizens in possession of a valid Handgun Carry Permit to carry their weapons into establishments that serve alcohol on the condition that they are not consuming alcohol, and I must say it is a poor example of the balanced reporting that I expect from a Fox channel. One would have thought that it came from a NBC channel. It was distressing to note how you showed all negative comments from bar-goers obviously giving their opinion based on incomplete information.

One man states that there is no way to tell if someone is carrying a gun because it’s concealed, so doesn’t the same thing apply to criminals currently? Do you think criminals care if it’s currently illegal? Are you able to tell when they are carrying a concealed gun? You also showed one man stating his assumption that the person wanting to carry into such an establishment was so that he can be a hero. Did you challenge that moron as to how many people that he actually knows well enough to state that desire to him so that he could convey that judgment to the public?

Just a few weeks ago, a man shot and killed the manager at Jonathan’s Grill here in Nashville because he was asked to leave. What if the man had turned the gun on the patrons as well? I’d say the body count would have been significant. Just a couple of months ago shots rang-out inside a Buffalo Wildwings here in Nashville. There are no safe places anymore.

I carry to protect myself and my family and for no other reason, and those of us who’re not sheep feel it is not moral for others to expect us to become sheep for the slaughter just because we want to eat at one of the numerous restaurants that serve alcohol.

Do you think that you can manage fair and balanced reporting in the future?

And then I followed-up with this:

To substantiate one of my points, the following is offered:

Karaoke Owner Shot, Killed At Bar - Nashville News Story - WSMV Nashville

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- A business owner was shot and killed Thursday night in front of customers at a crowded south Nashville bar.

The incident happened around 10:30 p.m. at Jonny's Sports Bar on Nolensville Road near Old Hickory Boulevard.

Police said a customer had been harassing a man and wife who operate a mobile karaoke business. Officers said the same man had previous arguments with the couple at other bars.

This time, the karaoke owners asked management to make the unruly customer leave, but witnesses said he pulled out a gun and started shooting.

The man operating the karaoke business was hit several times and died at the bar. Police have not released the name of the victim.

Authorities said after the shooting, three customers tackled the gunman, wrestled his weapon away and held him until police arrived.

The gunman was arrested and booked at Metro corrections Friday morning. His name has not been released.

Widow posts her story on Tennessee Gun Owners forum: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/newsworthy-reports/19570-so-i-wonder-if-guy-had-handgun-carry-permit-2.html

My husband was gunned down right infront of me at Jonny's Sports Bar here in the Nashville area. I cannot talk about the specifics of the case but I can tell you how I feel about the Restaurant Carry Bill that is awaiting Governor Phil Bredesen's signature......

The current legislation before the state of Tennessee is vital to the safety of it's citizens. My husband Ben Goeser was murdered right infront of me on April 2nd 2009 at Jonny's Sports Bar. Please contact your State Representatives including Governor Phil Bredesen, and tell them about what happened to Ben. If I could have been allowed to carry my gun that night (because I do have a permit) perhaps I could have saved him. I can tell you that the odds would have been more in our favor. I had to leave my gun locked in my car in the parking lot that night because we have a law in place right now that makes innocent people "targets" and "helpless" and at the mercy of people with horrible intentions. People that have gone through PROPER TRAINING, A COMPLETE BACKGROUND CHECK, registered their weapon and have the permit should be allowed to carry a concealed gun for their own protection and protection of loved ones as long as they are NOT under the influence of alcohol. Just remember....when seconds count, the police are minutes away. I am proud of all police officers and the risk they face everyday but those officers CANNOT be everywhere at anytime and everytime. Many times the police get there and someone has already been killed. That is what happened to my wonderful husband Ben. Bad guys don't care about Laws. Let good citizens have the ability to protect themselves and their families. I never want anyone I love to be a target again. Never again. Proper training is key. Properly trained individuals will not take a risky shot and act irresponsibly, if they do and someone innocent is hurt or killed, they will face justice for it. It's not good people that we need to fear, it's bad people with the intent to kill innocent individuals. I would like to point out that less than 1% of any gun crimes are ever committed by a permitted individual. Let's face it, look at the DC gun death rate, it is one of the HIGHEST in the country. There are NO GUNS ALLOWED THERE. Innocent people are murdered there at astounding rates. How can that be if strict gun laws keep us safe? Please, help me wake these lawmakers up. I need your help. If there is anything you can do for me....please do this. Do this for Ben.

Maybe you guys should read EVERYTHING that she posts in that thread.

anyone get a response? i seen where this was also on DC i bet his inbox was flooded:rofl:

Edited by RRM
Guest kringle02

I emailed him told him to get his facts wright ,and were did all the real news reporters go .i told them they sound more like a jerry springer out fit to me

Guest voigts
What I sent.

Dear Mr. Madaus,

I am writing to comment on your news story "Bullets in Bars, Gun Bill Passes". I am saddened to see that a one sided news story such as this is reported. I assume you have heard that "there are two sides to every story". I guess in this case you just decided it was best just to show the one side. I'm also guessing the side that likely fits your opinion.

The first one sided slam started with the title of the article, "Bullets in Bars". Nice touch to plant the negative slant from the start.

It's obvious that you did not take the time to do any research to support either side of the story, either positive or negative. Research to show statistics from the many other states that have passed similar legislation. Research to seek out people that know something about the subject other than people voicing their opinion.

Handgun permit holders are not criminals, they are the ones that are obeying the laws. They are the ones that took the time to get properly trained, submitted to a background check, got fingerprinted, and paid the proper fees. Do you think if they were intending on committing a crime, they would have gone to this trouble?

If you haven't noticed, criminals are the ones that break laws. They are the ones carrying guns that you don't know about until they commit a crime. They don't give a crap what the law says. If you think the existing laws prevent them from bringing a firearm into an establishment, you are sadly mistaken. And if an establishment chooses to properly post that they don't want firearms on their property, do you really think that matters to them?

As a HCP holder I am offended that this story insinuated that HCP holders will be the ones "shooting up the bar". We'll leave that to the criminals.

Thank you for your kind comments.

While it is hard to get the other side to see your point, it is really hard to get them to even listen to your point if you call them a stupid a**, etc.

I think a civil approach, at least to start out, is the better option.

Very well worded, and very well stated. Cussing and calling this guy every name in the book only substantiates his false idea that gun carriers are gun totin', wanna be heroes. This piece is a perfect example of what happens on the news networks everyday. They twist the news to support their particular viewpoint, which usually is a very liberal one. This is why the news networks hate online news and media. They can't control it.