40 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Stance?

• Isosceles
    • Modified Isosceles
    • Weaver
    • Modified Weaver (Chapman)
    • One Handed
    • Other (please explain in a post)

After further review. (thanks Shannon) I believe I use the Modern Isosceles.

Did not know it had a name, I always just thought of it as shooting from a ready position, sort of like what I used to teach kids back in the day coaching little league.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first started shooting, I was taught to use the Weaver Stance, by someone who believed that if you didn't use Weaver, you'd get killed in a gunfight.

Since that time, I have learned to vary my stance depending on the situation. IMO, there is no one single stance that works perfectly for every situation, since as others have said, real gunfights don't seem to involve standing static and trading shots.

I try to think of "stance" as a starting platform, but not any type of panacea. You have to start somewhere, then you go on from there.

It's probably good to have one stance that you automatically go into whenever you pull your handgun. Last thing you need is another matter to decide on under pressure. If you get your handgun trained on the target and another stance would be preferable, you can change at that point.

IMHO, the fewer things you have to think about the better if you are, or are about to be, under fire. You really don't need to be thinking about having to rack a slide, cock a hammer, remove a thumb safety, or figure out your stance at that time.

Guest Phantom6
It's probably good to have one stance that you automatically go into whenever you pull your handgun. Last thing you need is another matter to decide on under pressure. If you get your handgun trained on the target and another stance would be preferable, you can change at that point.

IMHO, the fewer things you have to think about the better if you are, or are about to be, under fire. You really don't need to be thinking about having to rack a slide, cock a hammer, remove a thumb safety, or figure out your stance at that time.

Kind of a K.I.S.S. thing. Well stated.

A wise man once told me, it's not how you stand. With proper sight alignment and trigger control, you will make your hits. You should be moving rather than standing, that why shooting on the move is some important.

With that said, that is combat shooting. If I am plinking on a range I shoot modified isosceles.

Same here, unless at someones range, I practice shooting while moving with an emphasis on going to cover. I also try to shoot offhand when ever possible to at least have some familiarity with it should the need arise.

Guest Phantom6
God knows, I live by that creed..

Oh yeah. That's why you carry a 4x4 in your armor's kit instead of a brass hammer or rubber mallet. So Easy a Caveman Can Do It!:P:rofl::D

M44SoEasyaCavemancandoit.jpg

Guest Phantom6

Nah, it's a Mosin Nagant. It has been unloaded, safed and the bolt locked open.

A case expanded and was stuck in the chamber. The extractor arm wouldn't grab it and pull it out. They are using a range rod and a 4x4 :P to tap it out from the muzzle end.