Governor gets guns in parks bill

Guest johnnyo

Guest johnnyo

The Associated Press

Originally published: May 27. 2009 3:01AM

Last modified: May 26. 2009 10:42PM

NASHVILLE -- A bill to allow handgun-carry permit holders to bring their weapons into state and local parks is headed for the governor's consideration.

The House on Tuesday voted 54-41 to agree with Senate changes to the bill sponsored by Republican Rep. Frank Niceley of Strawberry Plains.

Maryville Republicans Joe McCord and Bob Ramsey both voted against the bill.

The measure would require county or city governments to specifically vote to enact a handgun ban. It also wouldn't give local governments a choice of keeping guns out of some parks but not others.

"It's either all in, or all out," said Niceley. "Because it gets too complicated."

House Democratic Caucus Chairman Mike Turner said he preferred the approach of a separate bill previously passed by the House that would have allowed local governments to allow guns in certain areas like walking trails, but to ban them in playgrounds or sports fields.

"I've seen many times parents get emotional at a ball game, and they want to beat up the umpire," said Turner, of Old Hickory. "I'm talking about otherwise sensible people."

Niceley told the chamber children in public parks "will be safer with my bill."

Voting to approve the Senate changes were 39 Republicans and 15 Democrats, while 32 Democrats and nine Republicans voted against them.

Democratic Gov. Phil Bredesen has refused to say whether he will sign or veto several gun bills headed his way. It takes a majority vote in both chambers to override a veto.

The House also voted 83-12 to agree with Senate changes to a bill to allow handgun permit holders to transport ammunition alongside rifles or shotguns inside their vehicles.

Under the version headed to the governor, those guns could not have ammunition in the chamber.

The bills are among a slew of gun-related bills working their way through the Legislature this year. Both chambers have passed a bill to allow permit holders to bring their guns into establishments that serve alcohol.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest johnnyo

Maryville Republicans Joe McCord and Bob Ramsey both voted against the bill.

I may call or email them today and express my thoughts on them voting against this bill. What a shame. I've got a long list of folks who i'm not going to re-elect.

I guess it does look like (and is) a flood of firearms related bills headed toward the Governor, but that is just because of the 15+ year backlog caused in the house because of one person. The obstruction is now gone....and here they flow.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
I guess it does look like (and is) a flood of firearms related bills headed toward the Governor, but that is just because of the 15+ year backlog caused in the house because of one person. The obstruction is now gone....and here they flow.

I am surprised the media is not beating one side of that drum at every opportunity. Seems like an easy target for them.

I am surprised the media is not beating one side of that drum at every opportunity. Seems like an easy target for them.

I think the media is re-learning that they are preaching only to the minority of far left Tennesseans, those who will care more than 30 minutes of their broadcast. They are sucessfull at frightening the average naive viewer for a short time before they go into, really don't give a crap mode. Notice there's no big demonstrations or rallies or hundred mom marches at the capitol. These bills will pass and the general public will forget they even exist after a short time just like the Shall Issue law passed in 97.

Guest Jcochran88
I am new and am cornfused. Is this bill just for State and Local parks? Is there or was there a separate bill for Federal Parks?

Bob T

This is just for state and local parks.

Guest joeharris

Chatt. Mayor Littlefield was on the news 5 min. ago and said that under no cicumstances will guns be allowed in Chatt. City Parks, even with a permit and that they may have to vote on it in Chatt.

Currently their are sign's posted in City Parks stating it is a Felony to have a gun in a Park!

Guest jos2f
Chatt. Mayor Littlefield was on the news 5 min. ago and said that under no cicumstances will guns be allowed in Chatt. City Parks, even with a permit and that they may have to vote on it in Chatt.

Currently their are sign's posted in City Parks stating it is a Felony to have a gun in a Park!

If the Governer makes it a state law that you can have guns in parks, wouldn't it be illegal for a mayor to say you can't? Wouldn't that put us back where we were pre-guns-in-park-bill?

I'm no lawyer which is why I ask this question

If a local government decides that they don't want guns in their parks will they have to display proper postings?

Yes....see more in this thread.

I am new and am cornfused. Is this bill just for State and Local parks? Is there or was there a separate bill for Federal Parks?

Bob T

There is a federal bill that passed that will allow carry in National Parks. See this thread. The state bill that passed the hosue yesterday simply mentions carry is National Parks is legal to the extent it is allowed by federal law.

If the Governer makes it a state law that you can have guns in parks, wouldn't it be illegal for a mayor to say you can't? Wouldn't that put us back where we were pre-guns-in-park-bill?

I'm no lawyer which is why I ask this question

The bill specifically allow the local governing body of a park to vote to opt out of allowing carry in a local park.

Well of course that isn't correct; it's currently a Class A misdemeanor.

With the new law in effect, IF the municipality properly posts, I guess it would be the same penalty (unless there is a different one written into the new law?)

- OS

Guest jos2f

The bill specifically allow the local governing body of a park to vote to opt out of allowing carry in a local park.

Seems pointless to make a law where you say "this is the new law, but you can go render this new law useless and go backto the old way of things no problem"

Stupid politics

Well of course that isn't correct; it's currently a Class A misdemeanor.

With the new law in effect, IF the municipality properly posts, I guess it would be the same penalty (unless there is a different one written into the new law?)

- OS

Still same penalty in new law.

Seems pointless to make a law where you say "this is the new law, but you can go render this new law useless and go backto the old way of things no problem"

Stupid politics

Well it would not have passed if local parks were legal and could not opt out. Barely passed anyway. At least this way they are legal by default and must post a specific sign if the want to prohibit carry.

Other than larger cities, I don't think most city/county councils will even take up the issue.

Guest ProguninTN
Well it would not have passed if local parks were legal and could not opt out. Barely passed anyway. At least this way they are legal by default and must post a specific sign if the want to prohibit carry.

Other than larger cities, I don't think most city/county councils will even take up the issue.

The cities and counties which will ban their parks are the ones where guns are most needed...Metro Nashville, Memphis/Shelby County.

Guest crotalus01

Yep yep. Thats why this is the bill I have followed the least - I am in Memfrica and NO WAY the city council libs and King Willy are gonna let guns in the parks here - at least not the guns carried by the folks that would only use them in self defence.

Yep yep. Thats why this is the bill I have followed the least - I am in Memfrica and NO WAY the city council libs and King Willy are gonna let guns in the parks here - at least not the guns carried by the folks that would only use them in self defence.

Yea especially not after what our esteemed Chief and Sheriff think about us permit holders. :)