small .22 auto

what are some good semi-auto .22LR SMALL guns out there? my dad is looking for one to keep on his motorcycle.

the walther p22 is too big for him, he says. he kinda likes the size of the .32 keltec.

i reccommended the beretta 21A, any others?

oh, and i tried to rationalize with a little bigger caliber, but he wants the .22LR

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gunlovingirl

I don't mean to disagree with anyone's choice of carry gun, but why would he want a .22 for self defense? Seems to me that shooting bg with a .22 would just pi** him off. jmo

It's not the caliber, it's the placement. A .22 well placed will stop someone quicker than a .45 not well placed. And a little .22 in your pocket is invisible until needed. On the other hand, a Kel-Tec p3at or Ruger LCP in .380 would be just as small as a .22, and probably be a bit more effective. On the third hand :shake: you can practice all day long with .22 ammo, and .380 is pretty pricey!

I don't mean to disagree with anyone's choice of carry gun, but why would he want a .22 for self defense? Seems to me that shooting bg with a .22 would just pi** him off. jmo

Perhaps, but I think the supposed puny .22 is vastly underrated and underestimated by many. Competent shot placement and high quality ammo are key, it can be a devastating round especially in a cumulative effect. There are many (very many) 6ft under that were a little more than just pi**ed off from being hit by a .22.

All handgun calibers have succeeded and failed at stopping an opponent. Sure "bigger holes bleed more" and every other cliche you would like to throw out there. However, you can not argue that a .22 in your pocket when the SHTF instead of a .45 in the safe is way, way better. It's all about options, and what you are comfortable with. JMHO

With that said, I carry a 9mm (what else would TN9MM be packin) and there are some, more than some, that think that is too small. I humbly disagree and that is fine. #1 rule to a gun fight.....have a gun!

It's not the caliber, it's the placement. A .22 well placed will stop someone quicker than a .45 not well placed. And a little .22 in your pocket is invisible until needed. On the other hand, a Kel-Tec p3at or Ruger LCP in .380 would be just as small as a .22, and probably be a bit more effective. On the third hand :rolleyes: you can practice all day long with .22 ammo, and .380 is pretty pricey!

Yea....what he said! +1 mousegunner :shake:

People underestimate the .22. I'll tell you something right now, if I'm looking down the barrel of anything, I don't care if it's a .22 or a 500 Smith, I'm leaving them the heck alone. That .22 will ricochet around and cause some serious damage, especially, as someone else said, if you're loaded with quality ammo like the CCI Mini Mag, Stinger, or Velocitor.

Edited by Good_Steward

Also, if he wants to look at Derringer type pistols, he may want to think about one in 22 Win Mag. Vicious little rounds for sure. I have a Marlin 925 in 22 mag, and it's deadly on crows and other small varmints (I've killed racoons with it at 100, never even moved, just fell over) up to 125 yards. I imagine a center mass shot at 1 - 2 yards would really put a serious hurtin' on someone.

Guest m4coyote

Probably the best small .22 auto I have ever owned was the Walther TPH. It is not imported any more, but if you can find a used one they are excellent. Mine was small, thin, extremely accurate, and very dependable.

Check the pawn shops for a S&W 2214. Mine is utra reliable-feeds and fires anything in LR I put in it. It is also acceptable in the accuracy dept. I'll never sell or trade mine, it is a little "wonder gun."

Guest lilredhunter

Sounds like he needs a mouse gun or something lose. I would consider the Walther 21a, kel-tec P3At .380 maybe the Taurus PT22 which is a knock off of a Beretta . The Beretta tomcat would be a good one. If you can find one the S&W Sigma .380 is fairly smaller than the P22. Maybe consider even a davis or cobra derringer. Now I know I mentioned a couple that many folks don't care for. But for something that will be neglected maost likely ,I would not put a whole lot of money into it.