Governor Phil Bredesen Vetoes HB0962 (Restaurant Carry Bill)

Guest ColdEspresso

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your facts are worthless without the bill becoming law.

Maybe, but presented to the right people they can help it become law.

As has been said this is very emotional for all us, myself included, but I hope this is simply that latest "political posturing" move on this bill and when it gets back to the legislature the veto will be overridden and all will be good.... or again...as I hope.

Guest HexHead

So when does this go into effect?

More importantly at this point is when does it go back AGAIN to the House and Senate? I wonder how many times we'll be disappointed when it doesn't come up as expected and rolled to another session? At this point I won't be surprised if it doesn't come back until the fall session.

Maybe the clean bill guys will want to take the opportunity to tweak it now so we can drink too? [/sarcasm]

all i can say is everyone needs to stop posting for a bit and start emailing their reps and sen's telling them how disappointing this is... and they need to strike this veto down with an OVERWHELMING majority.

If you want them to hear your voice your going to have to start making some noise with pen, phone, and keyboard

Do it NOW!!!

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I have to say this was a surprise, I was not expecting him to veto it. I was almost gaining a little more respect for him. Not any more.

More importantly at this point is when does it go back AGAIN to the House and Senate? I wonder how many times we'll be disappointed when it doesn't come up as expected and rolled to another session? At this point I won't be surprised if it doesn't come back until the fall session.

Maybe the clean bill guys will want to take the opportunity to tweak it now so we can drink too? [/sarcasm]

Hex I understand being upset....but this really doesn't help.

Oh...there is no fall session in the state legislator, when the adjourn this session they won't be back till next year.

Also the bill can not be modified from what was sent to the Governor, the only vote will be to override or not.

• Administrator
Well, I'll sure as hell care if his veto isn't overridden.

If I sat around and worried about a lot of coulda-woulda-shoulda crap, I'd never get any peace. It's completely irrelevant what might have happened and I will go further and state that it would be insanity to try and second-guess our buddy Bredesen in the first place.

Guest HexHead
FWIW it is now on the bill's status page

According the state's website on How a bill becomes law it will now be sent back to the house of origin.

Not sure if that is the house or senate in this case and it really doesn't give any info about the procedure after that point.

Well, it was filed first in the House, by one day on 2/11/09. God help us all.

Guest crhoades
didnt see slick Rick in that link...

Hmmm...must've updated it. Here is the link that was on my screen a few minutes ago:

10439925_BG1.jpg

Guest HexHead
all i can say is everyone needs to stop posting for a bit and start emailing their reps and sen's telling them how disappointing this is... and they need to strike this veto down with an OVERWHELMING majority.

If you want them to hear your voice your going to have to start making some noise with pen, phone, and keyboard

Do it NOW!!!

I emailed my Rep while Bredesen was still speaking!

Senator Henry is useless.

Guest HexHead
If I sat around and worried about a lot of coulda-woulda-shoulda crap, I'd never get any peace. It's completely irrelevant what might have happened and I will go further and state that it would be insanity to try and second-guess our buddy Bredesen in the first place.

Well again, his quote is a better insight to his thinking than just trying to read the tea leaves....

"The notion that we would pass a bill, that we would have a bill now that would now permit one to carry a loaded concealed weapon into a crowded bar at midnight on saturday, I think defies common sense," Bredesen told the media at a 4 pm eastern news conference.
Guest JavaGuy
FWIW it is now on the bill's status page

According the state's website on How a bill becomes law it will now be sent back to the house of origin.

Not sure if that is the house or senate in this case and it really doesn't give any info about the procedure after that point.

HB0962 is the bill of record; once it passed in the House before the companion Senate bill came up, the companion bill was effectively dead. When HB0962 was sent over to the Senate (after passage in the House), it was substituted for the companion Senate bill and the companion was no longer needed.

Soooooo... all that to say that it goes back to the House first. If/when they override with a simple majority, it will be passed to the Senate for a veto override vote there. Again, a simple majority is required in each chamber.

The procedure is that the Governor's office will send a message to the House notifying them of his action. The House clerk will give notice of the action. After that, timing is up to the sponsor.

That's my understanding of the process.

Guest HexHead
Hex I understand being upset....but this really doesn't help.

Oh...there is no fall session in the state legislator, when the adjourn this session they won't be back till next year.

Also the bill can not be modified from what was sent to the Governor, the only vote will be to override or not.

Well, I was being sarcastic in the last part. :up:

Okay, so when is the legislature supposed to break for the year then?

It's getting dark, pal.

And it's not like they haven't shown us with this bill they have no problem postponing it, going home early or other delaying tactics. Remember how long it took the Senate to approve their own version of the bill when it came back from the conference committee? That should have been a cakewalk and it ended up taking almost two weeks to come up. And do they get to discuss this bill all over again? Are we going to have to listen to those asshats from Memphis and Knoxville trying to shoot it down?

btw, you realize the parks bill will probably be toast now too? It seemed even more controversial.

Why am I not surprised to see my piece of **** Chief of police standing behind him smiling? That son of a bitch presides over the 2nd most crime ridden city in the nation and he is against people protecting themselves??

F him, F Bredesen. I'm e-mailing every rep and senator I have an address for and telling them what I think. I'm sick of politicians and their games. I AM SICK AND ****ING TIRED OF BEING TOLD WHAT MY ******* RIGHTS ARE!!!!!!!!!!!

HB0962 is the bill of record; once it passed in the House before the companion Senate bill came up, the companion bill was effectively dead. When HB0962 was sent over to the Senate (after passage in the House), it was substituted for the companion Senate bill and the companion was no longer needed.

Soooooo... all that to say that it goes back to the House first. If/when they override with a simple majority, it will be passed to the Senate for a veto override vote there. Again, a simple majority is required in each chamber.

The procedure is that the Governor's office will send a message to the House notifying them of his action. The House clerk will give notice of the action. After that, timing is up to the sponsor.

That makes sense to me.

On the news they said it could be overridden as soon as next week.

Once both chambers vote to override, does it skip the Governor this time and go straight to the Secretary of States office?

Also since all of this would be done after the effective date on the bill, would it be effective after both chambers override or not until it is assigned public charter number by the Secretary of State? My guess would be the later.

Guest 3pugguy

Yeah, that Nashville Chief of Police is a real rocket scientist. Saw a bit on the news about cars being driven home (paid for by the citizens of Davidson County/Nashville's taxes) and that fella said he felt it JUSTIFIED that one of those allowed to take home a gov't car was in FINANCE...

Yep, I can hear it now: Flunky admin person: Chief, quick, we are OVERDRAWN at the

bank and need some them bewlett thingys...

Chief to Flunky: DANG, good thing our FINANCE person has a

gov't car; get 'em in here QUICK...

I love politicians, really, I do...of course, Clarksville politics are just as bad..Jeez Louise...and I left California thinking it would be better on the politics of fear and stupidity

Why am I not surprised to see my piece of **** Chief of police standing behind him smiling? That son of a bitch presides over the 2nd most crime ridden city in the nation and he is against people protecting themselves??

F him, F Bredesen. I'm e-mailing every rep and senator I have an address for and telling them what I think. I'm sick of politicians and their games. I AM SICK AND ****ING TIRED OF BEING TOLD WHAT MY ******* RIGHTS ARE!!!!!!!!!!!

AMEN Bro!

Well, I was being sarcastic in the last part. :up:
I know. :)
Okay, so when is the legislature supposed to break for the year then?

It's getting dark, pal.

At anytime they choose actually, but usually late-in May, but since they haven't yet, won't be till sometime in June this year.

And it's not like they haven't shown us with this bill they have no problem postponing it, going home early or other delaying tactics. Remember how long it took the Senate to approve their own version of the bill when it came back from the conference committee? That should have been a cakewalk and it ended up taking almost two weeks to come up. And do they get to discuss this bill all over again? Are we going to have to listen to those asshats from Memphis and Knoxville trying to shoot it down?

I think it has all been part of the process to this point and still is...

Yes I'm afraid will have to listen to the anti's again and this time they can say that LEOs and DAs are against it.

btw, you realize the parks bill will probably be toast now too? It seemed even more controversial.

I have thought of that an mentioned in the park bill. :( My hope is that since the park bill has not received as much media attention maybe it's not in the same jeopardy. ...and who knows...maybe he'll want to throw us a bone after this...lol :)

Guest HexHead

Well, I hope it moves between the two chambers faster than the damn conference committee report did. I'm beginning to feel it's all been orchestrated and the strategy now is delay delay delay, giving them political cover if then can adjourn before the bill passes. Again, remember, we're not the only ones with an agenda emailing and calling them.