I took the plunge... ordered a Dillon 550B with .45ACP dies and all the fixins

• Administrator

Just ordered my Dillon 550B reloading press with .45ACP dies and all the fixins from Brian Enos (Brian Enos - Competition Shooting Books, Slide-Glide, DVDs & Reloading). Had the pleasure of speaking with Brian on the phone this afternoon and he talked me out of the more expensive 650 XL and into the 550B which saved me about $400.

It's rare these days to find someone who is willing to talk you out of a higher dollar sale, but Brian clearly is interested in helping his customers make smart decisions more so than making a buck. I highly recommend anyone interested in a Dillon setup give Brian a shot at your business. :cool:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What "fixins" did you get? I started to get the roller handle, but decided not to since I take my hand away from it to pick up a new case. I love the cartridge bin & bracket (about $25, IIRC), but it's not needed if you get a casefeeder. I thought of the allen wrench set and mounting bracket as more of a novelty, but got it anyway and have been thrilled that I went ahead and got it. It's handy as hell. The powder warning system is a waste to me, since it's right in front of your face. I never let my powder get less than 2" from the top anyway.

MemphisMechanic recently bragged to me that he loaded 1000 rounds in 48 minutes with his 650 w/ casefeeder (after he had filled 10 primer tubes). Here's a sample of him and his 650:

The 550 is slower than a 650, but it's no big deal to me. You can run out of components quickly with either one.

Edited by deerslayer
  • Administrator

Among other things, I ordered the "As It Should Be" package from Brian that includes the Strong Mount and the roller handle. No case feeder since it only works for handgun brass and not rifle brass. No low powder alarm either, for the same reason that you stated.

Guest tnvolfan

I am about to do the same thing -- why did you purchase your reloading equipment from Brian Enos? Is this where you found the best deal, or was it availability??? I truly am going to buy this stuff, probably within a month, and I would like to know how you researched the price and the vendor. thanks!

Enos' website goes into uber-detail about accessories, parts, etc. Have a question about an option? His FAQs will link you to a three page thread on his forum about the subject. He also offers package deals that Dillon doesn't. As David said, you can even talk to the man himself, and he's a straight shooter. The only drawback to ordering one from him is that you will not automatically get signed up for Dillon's monthly Blue Press, but this can be remedied with a quick call to Dillon Precision.

Brian Enos - Competition Shooting Books, Slide-Glide, DVDs & Reloading

• Administrator
Congrats. You are going to love it.

I just bought a 650. It was less than an hour between opening the first box and making bullets.

I was going to do the 650 as well but Brian Enos talked me out of it. According to him it would have been a good choice were I only going to make one caliber and a LOT of it, but with my desire to reload a few different calibers including rifle sizes, he said that the 550 would be easier to reconfigure for each and more economical.

Did you upgrade from a 550?

• Administrator

I've received my digital scale and a copy of Brian Enos' book Practical Shooting: Beyond The Fundamentals" and expect to see my Dillon stuff start arriving any time now.

I will say this about the book: It's DEEP. :doh:

I was going to do the 650 as well but Brian Enos talked me out of it. According to him it would have been a good choice were I only going to make one caliber and a LOT of it, but with my desire to reload a few different calibers including rifle sizes, he said that the 550 would be easier to reconfigure for each and more economical.

Did you upgrade from a 550?

I'm sure Brian was correct.

No I didn't upgrade. My brother has used one for about 10 years, I think, and he said I would be happier with the auto-indexing. So far he is correct. I also only plan to load 9mm and alot of it.

Enjoy.