What Can the Governor Do with That Veto Paper?

Guest johnnyo

Guest johnnyo

Rep. Curry Todd accused Gov. Phil Bredesen of discourtesy toward legislators Monday night as he officially served notice of plans to try overriding the governor's veto of the so-called "guns in bars" bill on Wednesday.

"I won't tell you what the governor can do with that piece of paper," said Todd after the House clerk had read Bredesen's veto message.

Todd, R-Collierville, was House sponsor of the HB962. He and Senate sponsor Doug Jackson, D-Dickson, were kept in the dark about the veto plan until Jackson called the governor's office at about 2:40 p.m. Friday afternoon, Todd said in a floor speech.

That was about 20 minutes before Bredesen held a news conference, joined by about 40 law enforcement officers and district attorneys general, to announce his veto.

"He kept his little plan secret for a long time," said Todd. "He has no courtesy for us as members of the General Assembly."

House Democratic Caucus Chairman Mike Turner of Nashville told colleagues Todd's remarks were "a little out of line."

The House veto override attempt, which Todd predicted will succeed, will be held Friday morning.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest johnnyo

Guns In Restaurants Override Process Begins

By Kleinheider Posted on June 1, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Rep. Curry Todd files notice to override the governor’s ‘guns in restaurants’ veto on Wednesday at 9am. An override motion must lay over 24 hours after notice is given.

Rep. Curry Todd presents the measure saying, “I can tell the governor what to do with that piece of paper (veto notice).”

We should all call or email Rep. Curry Todd and thank him for his support!!!

Guest HexHead

The House veto override attempt, which Todd predicted will succeed, will be held Friday morning.

WTF???? So when the hell does the Senate get it?

Delay, delay, delay.

Guest cjames38464

Patience Hexhead, I feel your frustration, but there is a process, Todd and Jackson have to get the wagons in line to beat this veto...I'd venture there will be a ton of arm yanking and twisting on this issue:stick:...now we need to light of the switch boards of the reps and voice that this veto MUST be over ridden....I think its a formality but still required to ensure the succeess of this bill...:D

Guest HexHead

The longer it takes, the more media driven pressure they will get to uphold the governor's veto. While I'm sure there's lots of them that truly believe this is the right thing to do, I'm also sure there are some that can be swayed by the pressure.

You gotta know Niefeh is twisting arms in the back room too.

Other than an NRA press release, I've seen nothing in the media urging an override.

I doubt we're the only ones writing and calling and let's face it, we're the minority on this.

Edited by HexHead
Guest ScottD

My email to Rep. Todd.

Rep. Todd,

First and foremost I would like to thank you for standing up to our

Governor on his less than intelligent move relating to the restaurant

carry bill. Secondly, as a tax paying citizen of the great state of

Tennessee, I agree in telling the Governor just what he can do with

his piece of paper, and while we are at it, what all the LEO present

at his ceremony can do with it as well. Thank you for your service and

support of this bill!

Guest HexHead
hexhead they are doing it on purpose just to get under your skin

:chill:

I appreciate your humor, but I've been right about this all along. I hope to hell I'm wrong this time.

Guest db99wj
I appreciate your humor, but I've been right about this all along. I hope to hell I'm wrong this time.

Right about what? You have been all doom and gloom since this thing was brought up. Everything that has happened has happened due to things that had to happen in order for this thing to happen...:chill:, that is a lot "happening" in that sentence, anyway, I have posted conversations I have had with Rep Todd and Sen Jackson, which were either by email or by phone calls with Rep Todd and as I said many times above, it happened like it had to happen, due to things that were said, promised or agreed upon. Just because we see something on the live feed, or read the paper, or watch the news, doesn't mean that we know everything that is going on and is discussed and planned behind the scenes.

This bill, while being the first year to make it to this point, is not new, this thing is been planned and discussed for about 10 years or longer. This is the first year, ie No Naife, that it has made it out of committee. The only real surprise here and really, not a huge one was the Governors veto of the bill. Even with that, there have been plans and support being made to overturn that in case it did happen, which it did. The Governor has even come out and said, he vetoed with the expectation that it would get overridden, but wanted to make sure that the legislature had all the time possible to "think" about it, which also shows what a numbnutz our Governor is and how removed he is from what is going on in our state, this bill has been thought about, it has been debated, it has been discussed ad nauseum.

We understand the frustration of the delays, but the process is working as intended and as it is designed to work. The process shouldn't be easy, it shouldn't be quick, because if you think about other bills, like the serial number of each round crap that comes up ever so often, that we are dead against, I want to have every opportunity to kill it. We can't have it one way.

I'm optimistic, hell call me an optimist, but IMO, beats the hell of being a pessimist and not having any hope or faith.

I'm not going to say it is a 100% done deal, and will happen, we might not wake up in the morning because the world ended:tinfoil:, but I do have faith and hope that it does and from discussions I have had, we need to be patient and wait.

• Administrator

I really like guys like Representative Todd. :chill: In fact, I sent him an email this morning...

Representative Todd,

Good morning, Sir. My name is David Yancy and I am the founder and operator of the Tennessee Gun Owners (http://www.tngunowners.com) online community. We cater to the 2nd Amendment supporter, gun owner and shooting sports enthusiast in Tennessee and presently and proudly claim approximately 4,000 registered members from across our great state. Our viewing public consists of about 30,000 total unique individuals per month.

The reason that I am writing you this morning is to just say THANK YOU for standing up for the law abiding citizens of Tennessee who have taken it upon themselves to go through the requisite channels to secure a Handgun Carry Permit and exercise their right to carry for self-defense. It has come to my attention that you had some rather blunt words for our Governor upon the advent of his veto of HB0962. Those words resonate strongly with me and with the 4,000 members of TGO. We stand with you in regard to your suggestion of where Governor Bredesen could best stick his veto for long term filing.

On behalf of our community, I wanted to pass along our sincere thanks and to personally express my own gratitude for the work that you've done. You indeed have a large mass of supporters in our ranks.

Thanks again, and God bless.

--David Yancy

---

David Yancy (david@tngunowners.com)

Founder, Administrator - Tennessee Gun Owners

http://www.tngunowners.com

Guest HexHead
Right about what? You have been all doom and gloom since this thing was brought up. Everything that has happened has happened due to things that had to happen in order for this thing to happen...:chill:, that is a lot "happening" in that sentence, anyway, I have posted conversations I have had with Rep Todd and Sen Jackson, which were either by email or by phone calls with Rep Todd and as I said many times above, it happened like it had to happen, due to things that were said, promised or agreed upon. Just because we see something on the live feed, or read the paper, or watch the news, doesn't mean that we know everything that is going on and is discussed and planned behind the scenes.

This bill, while being the first year to make it to this point, is not new, this thing is been planned and discussed for about 10 years or longer. This is the first year, ie No Naife, that it has made it out of committee. The only real surprise here and really, not a huge one was the Governors veto of the bill. Even with that, there have been plans and support being made to overturn that in case it did happen, which it did. The Governor has even come out and said, he vetoed with the expectation that it would get overridden, but wanted to make sure that the legislature had all the time possible to "think" about it, which also shows what a numbnutz our Governor is and how removed he is from what is going on in our state, this bill has been thought about, it has been debated, it has been discussed ad nauseum.

We understand the frustration of the delays, but the process is working as intended and as it is designed to work. The process shouldn't be easy, it shouldn't be quick, because if you think about other bills, like the serial number of each round crap that comes up ever so often, that we are dead against, I want to have every opportunity to kill it. We can't have it one way.

I'm optimistic, hell call me an optimist, but IMO, beats the hell of being a pessimist and not having any hope or faith.

I'm not going to say it is a 100% done deal, and will happen, we might not wake up in the morning because the world ended:tinfoil:, but I do have faith and hope that it does and from discussions I have had, we need to be patient and wait.

Well for starters, the Governor all but said in his comments Friday that he may have signed it with the original restrictions, which truly would have made it a "restaurant" bill and not a bar bill. This would have been sent to him weeks earlier without all the concurring and non-concurring going on and that was just additional time for those trying to kill it to get their message out.

Sure, we've gotten promising indicators from the Reps. and Senators that are preaching to the choir here, but I haven't counted 50 Reps or 17 Senators yet saying they are going to vote to override. As I stated before, we're not the only ones pressuring our reps on how we want them to vote. This is evidenced by how every time it's gone to the House for all that concurring and non-concurring BS, the margin got smaller with every vote. Time sure doesn't seem to be on our side.

Guest db99wj
I really like guys like Representative Todd. :chill: In fact, I sent him an email this morning...

Great letter.

I believe, he is aware of TGO. I have mentioned it to him in my conversations with him. He seemed very aware of the site.

• Administrator
Well for starters, the Governor all but said in his comments Friday that he may have signed it with the original restrictions, which truly would have made it a "restaurant" bill and not a bar bill.

Which is further proof that Governor Bredesen is either a moron lacking a fundamental understanding of the fact that Tennessee does not license "bars", or that he is simply another agent of the machine that is so willing to bend words with the sole intent of appealing to media hype and public fears.

Either way, the voting public needs to remember this the next time they see his name pop up on a ballot for some other public office and vote to keep him unemployed.

Guest FroggyOne2
Which is further proof that Governor Bredesen is either a moron lacking a fundamental understanding of the fact that Tennessee does not license "bars", or that he is simply another agent of the machine that is so willing to bend words with the sole intent of appealing to media hype and public fears.

Either way, the voting public needs to remember this the next time they see his name pop up on a ballot for some other public office and vote to keep him unemployed.

The problem is David, he don't have worry for the money, he don't need a stinkin job.

Guest HexHead

The word "restaurants" was mine, not his. He spoke about "carrying a loaded gun into a bar at midnight on a Saturday" being a bad idea. That leads me to think he may have been okay with carrying into an Applebee's at 7pm. I'm still amazed our lawmakers don't have the wisdom to define what constitutes a bar in this state. How about "a place serving alcohol, where the serving of food is incidental and stays open until 2am"? :chill:

Or don't even mention food, like a place that serves alcohol, "has a DJ or live music and dancing" or "and has strippers" along with the 2am thing.

It would at least be a start and you don't have to try and figure out percentages. It would be helpful if TN had a restaurant license and a cabaret license.

Edited by HexHead
Well for starters, the Governor all but said in his comments Friday that he may have signed it with the original restrictions, which truly would have made it a "restaurant" bill and not a bar bill.

I can plainly see how/why you interpreted the Governor's remarks this way. However, I feel that if the curfew restrictions were in place, he would have mentiond going into a bar on a Saturday night at 10:00pm instead of midnight.

Personally, I believe the Governor wanted to veto this based on his personal beliefs and his potential political future. No curfew or other restrictions would have saved it.

:chill::tinfoil:

• Administrator
I'm still amazed our lawmakers don't have the wisdom to define what constitutes a bar in this state. How about "a place serving alcohol, where the serving of food is incidental and stays open until 2am"? :shake:

I know this post is going to come off as being kind of blunt, so apologies in advance... but you really seem hung up on the whole issue of carrying in bars.

Am I correct to understand that you do not support my right to carry a firearm for my self defense should I choose to accompany friends to a pub even though I will not be consuming alcohol? Or should I not be allowed a means of self defense if I choose to go see a musical act or a comedian at a place that primarily generates its revenue off of selling alcohol?

I agree wholeheartedly that we do not need to engage in drinking alcohol while simultaneously carrying a firearm, or driving a car, or performing open heart surgery or anything else like that. But I do not agree that I should have my fundamental right to a means of self-defense just because I am in a setting where someone else might be drinking.

I've been present at a LOT of private parties, BBQ dinners, etc. where friends and strangers alike were swilling beer and I was armed. Not once did I suddenly and uncharacteristically whip out my sidearm and start shooting people because of my proximity to their drinks.

For that matter, I've enjoyed a nice cold beer in my own domicile on more than one occasion and had a firearm within reaching distance. I never shot my wife, my dog, my kids or my television. I was tempted to shoot the television once, but that was during the Presidential Debates and I wasn't even drinking that time... :drool:

I guess what I'm picking up here is that you believe there should be limitations on where a law abiding citizen should be allowed to carry a sidearm for his or her protection, based solely on the current activities of other people at that location.

This seems... well, stupid.

Guest HexHead
I can plainly see how/why you interpreted the Governor's remarks this way. However, I feel that if the curfew restrictions were in place, he would have mentiond going into a bar on a Saturday night at 10:00pm instead of midnight.

Personally, I believe the Governor wanted to veto this based on his personal beliefs and his potential political future. No curfew or other restrictions would have saved it.

:chill::tinfoil:

Good point. It sure would be nice if there were any actual reporters in Nashville that care about news instead of their liberal agenda to have asked him that question. :drool:

Edited by HexHead
Guest JavaGuy

I doubt that Gov. Bredesen factored his political future into the decision at all. He's always struck me as being willing to listen to other points of view and then to make up his own mind about what he thinks best.

Consider that intelligent people can have differing points of view about the same thing.. Just look at the debates (and fusses) on this board about things like OC vs CC or notifying LEO of HCP and weapon in a traffic stop.

Fired off my email:

Mr. Coleman:

I support and appreciate any effort that you make to stand up to our less than stellar governor’s veto of HB962, and over-ride it.

And I got a response from Tracy already:

6-2-09

Steve,

Thanks for your email asking me to help override the Governor's veto on Senate Bill 1127 with regard to the Restaurant Carry Law. Please be assured that I will continue to support this legislation.

Best regards,

Jim

Guest HexHead
I know this post is going to come off as being kind of blunt, so apologies in advance... but you really seem hung up on the whole issue of carrying in bars.

Am I correct to understand that you do not support my right to carry a firearm for my self defense should I choose to accompany friends to a pub even though I will not be consuming alcohol? Or should I not be allowed a means of self defense if I choose to go see a musical act or a comedian at a place that primarily generates its revenue off of selling alcohol?

I agree wholeheartedly that we do not need to engage in drinking alcohol while simultaneously carrying a firearm, or driving a car, or performing open heart surgery or anything else like that. But I do not agree that I should have my fundamental right to a means of self-defense just because I am in a setting where someone else might be drinking.

I've been present at a LOT of private parties, BBQ dinners, etc. where friends and strangers alike were swilling beer and I was armed. Not once did I suddenly and uncharacteristically whip out my sidearm and start shooting people because of my proximity to their drinks.

For that matter, I've enjoyed a nice cold beer in my own domicile on more than one occasion and had a firearm within reaching distance. I never shot my wife, my dog, my kids or my television. I was tempted to shoot the television once, but that was during the Presidential Debates and I wasn't even drinking that time... :drool:

I guess what I'm picking up here is that you believe there should be limitations on where a law abiding citizen should be allowed to carry a sidearm for his or her protection, based solely on the current activities of other people at that location.

This seems... well, stupid.

I'm actually completely in agreement with you. I don't have a hang up with bars per se. My issue is that bars seem to be the flashpoint of opposition to this bill. We constantly state that 30 something other states allow carrying in places that serve alcohol. But that's only partly true. I was talking to a friend of mine in Texas the other night about this. In Texas, he told me "bars" are clearly posted with the percentage sign at the door, letting permit holders know they're off limits. I'm sure there are more states like that as well.

It's not that I don't want a "clean bill", hell I don't think we should be prevented from carrying anywhere as long as we continue to be law abiding citizens and stay out of trouble, but I also know that's not a realistic goal in the times we live in.

You say I'm hung up on the issue of bars. No, I'm hung up on the fact it's after June 1st and we still don't have a change in the law. And the longer it gets dragged out, the less likely we are to get one.

Just like with the parks bill, we should have separated the State and local parks. The local parks became the flashpoint, and if we lose the State parks, we'll lose the National Parks in TN as well. Our legislatures are not doing a good job of choosing their battles. We need to learn from the anti's, they've been very successful in nibbling away at our rights instead of going after them all at once.

We both want the same things David, we just disagree on how to get there.